FINALLY bought my racing buggy (kit)

Discuss anything R/C related that does not fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderators

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

FINALLY bought my racing buggy (kit)

Post by badboy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:47 pm

I have been trying to get into racing for a while and I finally was able to place an order tonight.  After quite a bit of research I decided to get the Losi 8ight 3.0.  I was going to get the Losi 8ight 2.o RTR because I wanted the RTR.  When the 3.o came out the RTR was discontinued and I had done so much research on the 2.o I decided to get the 3.0.

I joined the Losi forum for the many questions I know that I will have but after thinking about it I am hoping someone on SC will be able to help me instead.  Just seems like home here.  I parted out one of my savages and saved a little money on the side to finally be able to afford the kit.  I will have to save a good bit more to afford the TX starter box and the engine.

I plan on getting the Losi starter box
TX I am not sure on yet and don't want to break the bank
Servos undecided probably Hitec something.  Although I did read Adam Drake uses brushless servos from Hitec and they sound awesome but at 179 for a servo is way to much for me
Engine I think I am going with the Novarossi P5XLT

Really excited to get this kit and start building.  If anyone has any advice feel free to offer it.
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:54 pm

One thing I forgot.  Have any of you that race with a .21 engine used an ERCM pipe.  I have a side bleed on my basher and love it.  I was just wondering if the ERCM pipe would be best for a NOVA P5XLT or the recommended NOVA pipe.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:00 am

Looking at my 3.0 truggy still in the box right now, hoping to get started on the build today. The 2.0 was a good truck, the only weak spot I found was landing on throttle would destroy the rear ring and pinion if you didn't re-shim it ever other race day or so. Hopefully they have improved the rear diff set up.
The Losi starter box is decent, but the belt does not like a fresh engine, make sure you preheat the engine when starting it before it is broken in, or invest in belts.
Budget radio, I would look at the Spektrum DX3C or DX4C, they are a bit more than the Flysky's that will get recommended, but I have seen too many racers have issues with the Flyskys, they are a decent radio for bashers. I am using a DX 3.0R.
I am running a JR 9100T for steering and a 8800T for throttle, not sure if they are still available.

Sorry about moviung your thread, but this really doesn't belong in the Savage Racers forum.

EDIT, I missed the "buggy" in your tittle, I run the Truggy.  :oops:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:04 pm

No problem with the move.  Thanks very much for the advice you gave.
In my research I think the truggy 3.0 has a new rear diff or at least they have made some changes there

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:56 am

Also, look at TLRacing.com, they have set up sheets from the pro drivers. Most of the sheets tell you what type of track the set up was used on, and you can use one for a base line for your build. I noticed the manual for my Truggy follows Adam Drake's main set up sheet from there.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Buggy should be here Monday or maybe I should say I'll be picking it up Monday. I had some sticker shock when I ordered so I chose the cheapest shipping with UPS.
As it turns out a signature is required so to avoid not getting it Monday I arranged to pick it up instead. Can't wait to start building this thing.

Again does anyone have any opinions on the ERCM side bleed for .21 engines.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links