Pull start advice

Discuss anything R/C related that does not fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderators

MonoSavageX
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Pull start advice

Post by MonoSavageX » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:21 am

So I broke a string on a pull start today and when I went to fix it guess what happen... an explosion of metal band everywhere. In saying that I've already ordered a replacement, however I would like to try to put this one back together for a backup, but that STUPID!!!! metal band is killing me. Is there an easy method that I am just overlooking to recoiling it or is it really just this much of a pain?

Also I am really surprised that in the who knows how many years this hobby has been in existence not one person has made a tool of some kind to make short work of this process?
Savage X LRP.32 All sorts of upgrades!!!
Savage SS Custom machined TVPs LRP.28
LOSI 5ive-T Upgraded engine/servos
Jato 3.3 Stock

If your not supposed to break them, why do they make new parts?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MidnightReignXX
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by MidnightReignXX » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:08 am

just get a rotostart man! i hate pull starters. *censored* string always be breaking

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NITRO_SAVAGE
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by NITRO_SAVAGE » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:22 am

Hay MonoSavageX when you get a new string or new pullstart coate the string with some bees wax or any stick wax you can find. it helps prolong the life of the pullstart string. Also don't pull on the pullstart to use up the entire length of the string when starting.

hear is a link just to make sure you are using the pullstart the right way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKVSB-NV_D4

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MonoSavageX
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by MonoSavageX » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:03 pm

MidnightReignXX: On my original savage X 4.6 I had a rotostart that came stock on it and I hated it, I could never get the *censored* thing started. Went to a pull start and never looked back.

NITRO_SAVAGE: Thanks for the advice about the wax I will definitely look into that. And I will watch the video aswell. I know you do quick little like 6inch pulls and such I think this pull start was just old it was off a truck I recently purchased from someone it had an LRP .28 and was a custom machined TVP savage SS. The whole truck was just nasty looked like it had never been cleaned and after the pull start broke and I took it off the string inside was super nasty and greasy. So im sure it was just on its last leg anyway. I tore into the *censored* of the truck last night figured while it was down I would completely break it down and redo everything. I really think that the original diffs(off the savage SS and not the X SS) had the original oil/grease in them.  But its ok cause I will have this thing running like its brand new within the next 2 weeks.
Savage X LRP.32 All sorts of upgrades!!!
Savage SS Custom machined TVPs LRP.28
LOSI 5ive-T Upgraded engine/servos
Jato 3.3 Stock

If your not supposed to break them, why do they make new parts?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NITRO_SAVAGE
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by NITRO_SAVAGE » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:50 pm

Anytime Monosavagex????

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:20 am

That happened to me man on accident after unscrewing the backplate and just tossing the pullstart on the table LOL. As soon as that *censored* hit the tabletop...sprooooiiiiinnnnngg that *censored* coil unraveled. I would rather clean, rebuild, refill, shim, and reinstall diffs, than put together a pullstart. It literally took me all day to put that *censored* together (had to take some breaks in between because I was getting *censored*). Not to mention that I cut myself twice. After I got the spring to settle in, I think I torqued it tight soo many times attempting to install it, that the handle was dangling and the string was no longer taut. It worked but the handle looked stupid just dangling. I finally said screw it and bought a new pullstart. If I ever unravel a pullstart again i'm tossing it in the trash and buying a new one altogether. $15/$20 bucks is nothing compared to the heartache, frustration, and loss of blood trying to fix a pullstart IMO. Now i'm really careful setting it down after an engine rebuild/seal. I also zip tie it to prevent it from unraveling. Those darn things.......
[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/subyboo/Savage/SC_zpse28103b3.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links