any tips for a trophy truggy flux?

Discuss anything R/C related that does not fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Synk
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

any tips for a trophy truggy flux?

Post by Synk » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:26 pm

Have had a long hpi vs traxxas rivalry with my neighbor.  finally after he had 3 slashes ready for a day out and my savage was still the last one standing, I won. He bought a trophy truggy flux. Being the tech of the group I'd like to get some good info.  
I'd like some recommendations on diff and shock fluids.  
if it was a savage I'd say 35/100/50 and 35 but being a lighter truck thought I'd ask.
also any quick mods required? Other than replacing with vorza parts as they break?
savage x ss Lrp zr.30, octane cage and mod radio box, ofna mid tank 250cc, integy saver front/rear hubs, sv250 mod 3 spd, no mix arm throttle, hitec 5645 5625 servos, 4xbb 4xstd shocks w/35wt, flux drivetrain, 30k wt diff oil,  new era wing, tonys screws

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Synk
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Synk » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:45 pm

And the center diff is super sloppy. Is that normal or should it be shimmed like a normal diff.
savage x ss Lrp zr.30, octane cage and mod radio box, ofna mid tank 250cc, integy saver front/rear hubs, sv250 mod 3 spd, no mix arm throttle, hitec 5645 5625 servos, 4xbb 4xstd shocks w/35wt, flux drivetrain, 30k wt diff oil,  new era wing, tonys screws

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jmcn_r
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by jmcn_r » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:34 am

Good to hear the Savage triumphed!
I can't give you firsthand experience on a Trophy flux, but I did have quite a bit of time racing my HB LSP-R which is the higher spec'd big bro.

By my limited 1/8th EP knowledge, I would say those diff numbers sound good to me for general running. These brushless trucks seem to need some serious think center oil. As to slop, check your spur and how its seated on the bearing itself. For shocks I believe I used to go between 40-50wt evenly i think for track duties, 35/40 ish I think would be good for offroad. Then again I had several spring sets to play with.

Back in the day we suffered from turning radius and general steering issues due to how long the truck was and the super wide aluminum arms, I believe most of that is sorted for you now. We tended to either double up our stock steering ackerman or upgrade to something with multiple adjustments, also had to adjust and trim as necessary to make sure our wheels weren't hitting the tie rods on lock. Check your droop screws as well to make sure you are getting full lock through your suspension travel.
Finally, we also liked to upgrade our front brace...that was a must to stiffen up that long chassis.

Sorry to blabber, probably just mental noting the above because I plan to resurrect my LSP and turn it into a proper basher. People will underestimate just how capable it is in the rough stuff!!!

Oh, and another set of Tony's Screws is always good :)
Back to the Future, and another round of RC Hobby addiction!!!
[color=green]BANNED Racing[/color]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bigbigbrig
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bigbigbrig » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:09 pm

I also have a hot bodies lightning pro
I love it and enjoy racing it. A few of the things I did to help the handling and make it more rigid are:
double up the steering plate,
use a savage tie rod to connect the center diff top plate to the front diff case top plate,
ofna hyper ss shocks, (twice the diameter as stock)
d8t shock towers,
The list just keeps going.
There are tons of things you can do.
theres some pics to give you a few ideas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links