Its been a BAD day in my nitro world!

Discuss anything R/C related that does not fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderators

MonoSavageX
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Its been a BAD day in my nitro world!

Post by MonoSavageX » Thu May 21, 2015 8:34 pm

OK so let my start off by saying it was gorgeous here and my day off work so I woke up super excited to be able to FINALLY break in my new LRP .32 ERCM and my Jato 3.3. Gathered up all my gear and headed out to the park to get started. I figured I would work on the jato first since it is a starter system and all I have to do is push a button to get things to turn over.

When I connected it all up and pressed the button all it did was turn but it wouldn't fire the engine...... and now it sounds like the starter is dying..... battery in the starter is shot, no worries I have the pullstart kit at home....... so I put it aside with my eyes on the big prize MY SAVAGE!

I break out the big dog and proceed to fire it up. BOOM it screams to life... then dies... this happens about 7 more times. So I then lean the HSN 1/8 of a turn and throttle it a little and it fires right up and stays running for about 1 min. This happens about 15 more times. Finally I say AWESOME pack up everything and off to my LHS which is 45mins from me.

I get to my LHS and then explain to them what I was doing and what was happening hoping to get some insight about it and some advice on what to do. The guy I was working with seemed so complexed that the LRP had so much pinch to it I think he actually thought something else was wrong with the engine. I assured him that it just needed to be broken in and we headed outside in the parking lot.

Once outside he grabbed the pullstart pulled and POP..... rips the handle right of the *censored* thing....... 8O So we gather up everything and head back inside. He then proceed to fish around in the pullstart hole for an hour trying to get the string out..... he finally did and made what I would call a shotty at best attempt at reconnecting the pull handle to the string. once he got it retied it flopped around like a wet noodle and like soooo pathetic. we gave it a few pulls and guess what now it wont retract correctly. So then this chic comes over (she knows whats up ive worked with her before) and trys to lend a hand. She takes off the pulltart and guess what happens.... You got it an explosion of pullstart coil. at this point ive been at the LHS for about 2hrs and I tell her im going to have a smoke this is gonna take you awhile. When I come back in she has it all recoiled and back on but still in its limp noodle condition but its retracting now. SOOOO we take it outside to fire it up she gets it running and it does the samething runs for a min then dies. after 4-5 attempts guess what happens.... She breaks the pullstart again......

Needless to say that after all of this I left the LHS with a broken savage x LRP .32 ERCM and still have the same issue as what I went there for to begin with. :oops: I have a new pullstart on order (on them of course) which wont be here till Tuesday do to the holiday Monday.

Sorry to be long winded here but I had to vent and this seemed like the best place since the G/F could care less about the hobby.
Savage X LRP.32 All sorts of upgrades!!!
Savage SS Custom machined TVPs LRP.28
LOSI 5ive-T Upgraded engine/servos
Jato 3.3 Stock

If your not supposed to break them, why do they make new parts?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ASBURY
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by ASBURY » Thu May 21, 2015 11:04 pm

Now that was a day lol

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Fri May 22, 2015 5:10 am

Set you gap then preheat, once it idles with out dying give it some gas ( a little), when you give it some gas and it dies, lean the HSN out a little until it doesnt die.

I broke my PS on my last picco even preheating it lol. I made a limp noodle PS too. I would replace it honestly but if it still works for now great, but still order the new one.
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MonoSavageX
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by MonoSavageX » Mon May 25, 2015 11:05 pm

yea the pull start was completely broke by the time I left the LHS. they ordered me one at there expense. should be in Tuesday they said but we'll see.
Jato 3.3 Stock

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MonoSavageX
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by MonoSavageX » Mon May 25, 2015 11:46 pm

What should I set my idle gap to for breaking in this engine?
Jato 3.3 Stock

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Tue May 26, 2015 1:01 am

Pullstart problems eh? I never snapped a cord yet (knocking on wood), but I have had the spring uncoil on me once. Like you, I fiddled with it for a couple hours and couldn't get the spring to seat in correctly. Gave it a rest, and tried again for another hour and finally got the spring to settle. Once I reinstalled it, I got the limp bizkit treatment like you did. With bloody hands cutting my fingers on the coils a few times,  I got so frustrated I just ordered another one. I love pullstarts but once that spring pops out, I would rather buy a brand spankn' new assembly than even attempt to re-coil it brah!
[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/subyboo/Savage/SC_zpse28103b3.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

scrogg
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by scrogg » Tue May 26, 2015 4:30 am

Poor ERCM engine, you are killing it. PREHERAT ALL new nitro engines to 189F before you attempt to start them  Lean your LSN to get a good idle with the idle gap roughly 1/2 to 1mm. The LSN is set properly once the engine can idle without the temps climbing..
Old nitro junkie with a Flux xs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links