Savage X vs losi 8ight 3.0

Discuss anything R/C related that does not fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderators

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Savage X vs losi 8ight 3.0

Post by badboy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:18 pm

My oldest son has been telling me he thinks our savage could beat our buggy in a straight race. A drag race. So today we started them both and got them to operating temperature and then raced. We were on an asphalt road and raced about 50 yards.
The savage won by about twenty feet. We then raced again and the savage won again. I was shocked. I thought my buggy would pull away from the savage with ease.
After thinking about it it must be in the transmission. In my savage I have the modded 3 speed and in the buggy I have a center diff. It's not the engines because they were both tuned by me.
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:08 am

what color of carb insert is in the buggy engine, what pipe and manifold ?  these 3 things can make all the difference

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bigbigbrig
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bigbigbrig » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:31 pm

I have a losi 8ight 1.0 buggy, and 3 savages.
The losi buggy is built more for handling than full out speed.
I think in the race the transmission being adjusted right is the key. If the savage is shifting early or late it would give the buggy the edge.
What motor, pipe, and clutch bell/spur combo are you running on the truck and buggy.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:15 pm

On the savage I think I'm running 4717 with a vented clutch bell and the plastic spur  
The pipe on the Savage is an ERCM side bleed.  The shift points in the three speed have not been adjusted at all I really don't care when they shift. From the sounds of things they shift pretty early.
I'm not in front of my buggy so I can't tell you exactly what I'm using. The whole buggy scene is still pretty new to me and I have  just started to open it up a little bit.   I know the pipe is a Novarossi  and so is the manifold.
I know you can tweak the vehicles to perform differently and the buggy is set up for racing not high speed runs.
Given how new I am to buggies I'm sure someone more experienced could get a lot more out of it than I have it set up for. I was just surprised at the results.  To me it really illustrates how much the three speed transmission does for the savage.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:26 pm

Bigbigbrig do you race your losi 8ight 1.0?  What engine are you running in it?  We just raced for our first time. Things were cut short because of a faulty on off switch. We are running a p5xlt and in the qualifiers we were third at one point and seemed like we could run with anybody out there.  The more we practice I am sure we will get better. This is my first Novarossi and I am very impressed.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:38 pm

You beat the buggy because the Savage is just more awesome  :D
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:14 am

[quote="badboy";p="886201"]On the savage I think I'm running 4717 with a vented clutch bell and the plastic spur

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:14 am

LL you hit the nail right on the head. When I was building the buggy my sons would look at it and maybe ask a few questions and then have something to say like "well, the savage is just better" or when my oldest does a wheelie for 30 yards he will look at me and say "your buggy can't do that" lol. However after we went racing my boys are loving the buggy.

Thanks for the input Nitrojedi. I figured there were many things I could do to improve top end. I think I'll put the larger Venturi in and check it out. Like I said I am still very new with buggy and have a lot to learn.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bigbigbrig
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bigbigbrig » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:51 pm

I do race my losi 8ight 1.0
I have a modded O.S. VZ-B .21 turbo and a team associated 2035 pipe in it.
The 2035 pipe really helped my low end and mid range. The O.S. had plenty of top end already.
I had a picco buggy I ran for a while with the same motor but the losi 8ight is so will balanced and handles so well it would run circles around the picco buggy.
As for a radio I'm running a flysky fs-gt3c. Its the best $50 I have spent on my rc's
I run a modded novarossi p5x in my race truggy.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:31 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head. The transmission is what's cooking. Not what some might expect, the Truggies look like they take off quick, but side by side the Savage with a 3 speed will be surprising.

Honestly, I don't see the Truggy touching the Savage in a Drag Race, sure add some corners and the Truggy will shine, but in a Drag race your result is what I expect a 3speed to do vs a Single speed. Some might suggest otherwise but put them to the pavement and the Savage uses the Transmission to walk away from the Single Speed Truggy if both engines are matched. The Savage is one Bad A Monster Truck.

Yeah the Savage is more awesome. It's way more interesting from a mechanical point of view and more fun for my kid inside ripping wheelies down the street.
[url=http://s27.photobucket.com/user/Rac3rXGT4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/signature%20new%20shrunk.jpg.html][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/Rac3rXGT4/Mobile%20Uploads/signature%20new%20shrunk.jpg[/img][/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:37 am

Depends on the distance of the drag race.

A Truggy with a modified 28 can hit 45 MPH in 160 feet from a standing start....... the Savage will need more then double that distance to hit that MPH.......in 200 feet the truggy can hit 50 MPH from a standing start, the Savage needs about 600 feet to do the same...... Side by side from a standing start the truggy owns the Savage 0-200 feet effortlessly........However issue for the truggy is after 200 feet its done and can go no faster, so the Savage will end up passing it due to higher gearing and better top speed MPH....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:48 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yys0sU6c80

to add a little history to this video... this is a old heavy Mugen MBx5T , running heavy GRP MT style tires and one of my first gen PIcco 28 variants using OD regualr or HPI basher fuel.......... the truggy still did 50 MPH very fast in a very short distance compared to a Savage... Today's truggies are already a fair big faster, with much lighter more efficient drivetrains and much better fuels..... my current .21 powered Tekno truggy would mash that old truggy to 45 MPH and not break a sweat.....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:05 pm

I don't believe that Truggy would touch a Savage with the same engine. But that's just my opinion, I already knew yours.

It looks quick, but not quick enough.
[url=http://s27.photobucket.com/user/Rac3rXGT4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/signature%20new%20shrunk.jpg.html][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/Rac3rXGT4/Mobile%20Uploads/signature%20new%20shrunk.jpg[/img][/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:26 pm

[quote="SiNiST3R";p="887524"]I don't believe that Truggy would touch a Savage with the same engine. But that's just my opinion, I already knew yours.

It looks quick, but not quick enough.[/quote]

It's going fifty in less then half the distance and time as it takes your truck

So back in the day we shot this video we also had a couple Savages running... one of them could hit 50 MPH ( On same video series )...........obviously we drag raced them as that's what guys do...I was the only one with a Truggy, the rest of the crew were Savages..........Well after that weekend they all ended up with Truggiy ( eventually that same group and me opened a track )

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:54 pm

We raced again today. I had the 6.5 mm Venturi in and today I had the 7 mm in. Much closer race today but the savage still won. It's good to see how all the different variables work and what they do to the performance. That's the largest Venturi that came with my Novarossi. Top speed isn't that important to me so that's about as far as I will take the top speed for now.
On the track I race on things are pretty tight. The 6.5 or the 6 is probably best for where I race.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:16 am

Yeah, fuel economy (helped by the smaller venturi) is a big part of off road racing. Stopping every 6 min for fuel is not good if the others can go 7, can make or break a 20 min main.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links