Critique my racing team

Discuss anything R/C related that does not fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderators

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Critique my racing team

Post by badboy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:39 pm

http://youtu.be/XU2umtOnsYg

This was from last weekend. It was the first qualifier and our second attempt at racing. We aren't placing very well and we are wrecking quite a bit but we are having fun. You will notice toward the end of the race we got a lean condition after a wreck. I had not taken the time to calculate how long we could go on a tank in race conditions. I learned the hard way. However after a tear down there does not appear to be any damage.
My oldest son drives and needs to slow down a little. I think we also need to have more options with tires.  
Just wanted to share.
We're also just learning how to upload to YouTube etc.
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MShark
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by MShark » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:07 am

I don't have any racing experience but it was fun watching your vids! Keep posting up!
Looking for well modded truggy/buggy, PM me! Also maybe Savage X/XL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:49 pm

Not too bad at all considering it's your second race day.
A couple suggestions:
I can't tell for sure, but I believe that you need to loosen up the front brakes a bit so they don't lock up. You want them to grab, but keep rolling when the rears are locked so that you can steer into the corners while still slowing down. A locked front tire won't steer.

Tune some power out of it. The tires are doing a lot of spinning. If you put a smaller venturi in, it will calm the motor a bit and let him focus on controlling the direction of the buggy. If he takes off from a stop with the tires turned he spins (more on this in a bit). More power isn't going to help him win races at this point, trust me been there. Focus on making consistent laps, then when he can run a couple weeks with good consistent lap times put more power to it. In fact one of the fastest guys at the local track here always runs the smallest venturi he can. He is just *censored* smooth and so consistent that the others are over driving to keep up with him. You will rarely get a good lap over driving into corners and sliding sideways out of them, there are of course exceptions to this. And being off track or upside down never makes good lap times, been there too  :wink:

Lightening the center diff oil might help with the spinning out too. It will let more power transfer to the front and drag the car where the front tires are pointed. It's a balancing act though, too thin in the center and you will lose forward drive. Some where in my race boxes I have a guide to diff tuning, I will try to find it.

Tires are perhaps the biggest money grabber in racing. If they keep the track that dry all the time, I suggest a medium block tire as soft as you can afford to replace them, a softer tire will wear out much quicker, but should offer better grip. It doesn't look like the track gets a layer of fluff in the groove. If it does, a tire with a wider pin might help. Tires are almost close your eyes and pick one at times. Softening up the power might let the tires you have hookup better. The only way to know for sure is to test on the track you are racing on, with conditions as close to race day as possible. Running around at home in grass or even different dirt won't help your setup.

This set up sheet may be of help. Setup sheet

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:20 pm

Thanks Squid. That seems like it's going to be incredibly helpful.  I'll definitely start implementing these suggestions as we can. It's to bad this track is two hours away so practice is difficult. There is a track 30 minutes from me be they are elec only.
On the video I posted of the qualifier the track does look dry and it was I guess. They wet it between rounds and it's just so hot out that it evaporates very quickly.
Thanks again Squid I didn't notice half the stuff you mentioned and I was standing right there.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:43 pm

Now that I think about it my son was complaining about the steering but I couldn't find anything wrong with it. With our front tires locking up that would explain what was wrong with our steering.
That would also explain what brake bias is. I had heard the term but had not researched what it was. It's obvious now.
Funny thing is my 15 year old kept saying we need more power,we need more power. Really we need to be able to keep the power on the track as you stated.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MShark
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by MShark » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:39 pm

Yeah, those are very helpful pointers Squid! I run my savage at a local track about 20min from where I live and the major changes I have made to it are the tires (switched to 3.8 Proline Blockade which is wider and grips better for the surface of the track than the Badlands I was previously using) and I loosened up the brakes.

Locking up the brakes and flipping the truck is only useful for controlling the truck during jumps. But I learned it is entirely useless on the track.

I don't race my truck but I love the challenge of trying to bash in a controlled environment. Bashing in open fields and lots got me bored to my skull. And I got tired of experimenting with jumping as things seem to break a lot.

But running a savage on a dirt track continues to keep me interested in improving my skills and enjoying my truck without breaking too many things too often.
Looking for well modded truggy/buggy, PM me! Also maybe Savage X/XL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:02 pm

Any updates on the racing progress?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:37 pm

You know squid it's ironic that you ask I was just about to post a question with a small problem that I was having. I went racing last weekend and my steering servo went out and I did not have another one. That was pretty disappointing but I learned a lot a sponsored driver

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:30 pm

After a little Google work and looking at a spare Picco it looks like it doesn't matter where the inlet is pointing. The fuel will make its way into the HSN no problem.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:23 am

Yeah, the holes don't need to line up. There is actually a rather large void, relatively speaking, in the area where the fuel flows through. You can point the nipple in any direction you want and the flow will be unrestricted.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SLAYERDUDE
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by SLAYERDUDE » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:52 am

That looks just like the track I used to race at, you are in Fla... Im in Il...
Looks like rebuilt version.

https://youtu.be/MCzMjUmIZcg
[img]http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy229/rc1/Avitars/sc.gif[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links