NitroRCnerds tuning

Discuss anything R/C related that does not fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderators

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

NitroRCnerds tuning

Post by badboy » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:13 pm

As many of you know I have struggled with tuning over the years. However beginning with nitro Jedi s  sticky referencing a .5 mm idle gap  I have made great strides. I cannot remember for sure but one member on here wink me to a video on YouTube and I think that YouTube channel is nitroRCnerds.
The video was helpful and informative and I watched other videos specific to tuning. One thing  that I noticed was no matter how good I had my buggy tuned the RPMs were not reaching nearly as high as the buggy in the video.  
Where I am at now is wondering what is going to take me from an adequate tune to a really good tune or approaching a race tune.  One observation I have is that I currently have a 6.5 mm Venturi in my novRossi  P5 XLT. Is this  Vinturi  restricting my airflow so that I cannot reach redline RPMs if you will.
The main obstacle I have is in the videos I referenced earlier I can hear lean or Rich  very distinctly. However when I run my buggy I preheat I'm running Byrons 30% and I bring the vehicle   Up to temperature or heat saturate the best I can. I have had the needles well below flush and well  above flush and have had smoke always. I seldom if ever have a gurgling  or indicators that tell me I'm Rich. Every now and then I will hear the lean sound and no where to go from there. Most of the time I am making my incremental adjustments and then I will start stalling at wide open throttle.  I thought about removing  The Venturi and seeing if that takes my rpms higher  but it was just a little too cold for me to be out there driving this weekend.  I mean my current tune is fine or adequate I just want to be able to take it to the next level and do not understand  why I am not seeing the indicators that tell me which way to go. I think the next time I drive I'll try to do a video . I was hoping to avoid that though because the last video I had uploaded to YouTube was about seven minutes long and took roughly 24 hours to upload. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong there as well  but will leave that for another post. I do not remember the pipe and header that I'm using but they're both nova Rosi and were recommended by Nitro  Jedi and I know they're correct. I'm using ANOVA Rosi C6 TGC plug and I stated earlier Byron 30% fuel.
When we went racing this past summer it wasn't perfect but it was pretty good and I know wide-open throttle and straight-line speed is not the most importAnt thing. I just want to improve my tuning.
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:57 am

My guess is that your tune is fine. I wouldn't go by what is heard for RPM from a video and try to match it, there are too many variables in the sound. IMO if you are stalling at WOT, you are too lean on the HSN. I run same motor in my Truggy and use the smallest venturi it came with, don't remember the size at the moment.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:34 pm

The more I think about it you're probably right. I think the next time I drive I will experiment with the different Venturis just to see the differences.
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:31 pm

I have already told you before that the blue 6.5mm insert will restrict that engine. LOL

YES that tiny 6.5 insert is murdering that engines performance..... also the 9901/41021 combo isn't helping either..... with those 2 combined you have neutered the engine !

Get a 9 mm insert or drill the one you have...get yourself a 9886 tuned pipe and a 41001 manifold ! done !  then remove 0.1 mm head shim....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:42 pm

I'm running 9mm (black) Venturi on my Nova 28-8 with 9886 pipe and top end screams. I have heard the engine your running is a beast... IMO open up its breathing capacity via Venturi and correct mani/pipe combo. Novarossi website also has suggested combos for each of their engines.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:11 pm

Even if you stay with the 9901 a swap over to the 41001 manifold or a 41032 will let it rev out much better

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:48 pm

9mm would net more volume for sure but at the cost of velocity, a lot of it. Velocity is better for high RPM up to the point the ventury causes too much volume restriction. 6.5mm sounds too tight, and a jump to a 7.5 would be better than the 8 or 9 for top end when a 8 or 9 will boost up the low end punch at the price of top end performance.

Nitrojedi knows power bands well and I would take his advice on pipe + header choice for the given engine.
[url=http://s27.photobucket.com/user/Rac3rXGT4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/signature%20new%20shrunk.jpg.html][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/Rac3rXGT4/Mobile%20Uploads/signature%20new%20shrunk.jpg[/img][/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:50 am

[quote="SiNiST3R";p="887829"]9mm would net more volume for sure but at the cost of velocity, a lot of it. Velocity is better for high RPM up to the point the ventury causes too much volume restriction. 6.5mm sounds too tight, and a jump to a 7.5 would be better than the 8 or 9 for top end when a 8 or 9 will boost up the low end punch at the price of top end performance.

Nitrojedi knows power bands well and I would take his advice on pipe + header choice for the given engine.[/quote]

9 mm has much much much better top end then 7.5mm.... more power everywhere, bottom, mid and top !   the only place a small insert is better is if your running on a small technical track where you are unable to clear the engine out, in those cases the small insert keeps the throttle crisper ..... other then that big insert all the way !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:31 am

You say its better only if "clearing out the engine" so you mean it makes more power higher up in the RPM aka Top End lol...

I'm no RC track racer but I would think gearing her to top off as fast as she can go down the longest/fastest straight would be the ideal way to go. Taller is waisting acceleration depending on what the track will hold & too short and your losing top end speed. So if your not clearing out the engine on the longest/fastest straight your generally over gearred losing acceleration, unless gearred for just as much tq as the track surface will hold.

I'm no track racer tho, I figure it's gonna be a balance of top end and how much low end the track can hold sometimes over gearing to keep low end traction.

Interesting how you pull more power everywhere with less volocity on a carburated engine, hate to sniff the air as that usually goes nowhere with yah, got something for you soon tho ;) . A Smaller venturi should move tq up the powerband pushing peak HP higher up from more volocity traded for volume. Are you saying all ventures smaller than largest all perform worse than the largest availible incert across the full power band? I doubt it very much, what's the point, or is this backwards world where you think bigger venturi incerts are for higher RPM and smaller ones for low end. Up is down, left is right, day is night, RC don't drop RPM when shifting lol...
[url=http://s27.photobucket.com/user/Rac3rXGT4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/signature%20new%20shrunk.jpg.html][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/Rac3rXGT4/Mobile%20Uploads/signature%20new%20shrunk.jpg[/img][/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:44 am

Well what would I know, being one of the only people in the world who owns a RC engine dyno ( my second one at that ! )  !   obviously since my dyno tested facts don't match your theory it must mean I am doing something wrong....I am rolling my eyes right now LOL !    

Big inserts make more power everywhere ! bottom, mid and top........small inserts can increase initial trigger feel but as a loss of power, just makes the throttle more responsive in low speed conditions....

in the end lets not let facts and test data affect things, its much better to run with wild unproven speculation !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:09 am

[quote="Nitrojedi";p="887837"]Well what would I know, being one of the only people in the world who owns a RC engine dyno ( my second one at that ! )

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:26 pm

[quote="SiNiST3R";p="887840"][quote="Nitrojedi";p="887837"]Well what would I know, being one of the only people in the world who owns a RC engine dyno ( my second one at that ! )

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:37 pm

At the end of the day here are some facts

Bigger inserts give better power, bottom, mid and top !

LRP 30 and LRP 30X are both 5 port engines....... the claim that one is a 7 port is false........

My dyno charts are what they are, I edit the legend and make it more readable as in its native format everyone complained they couldn't read it !   \

IMO a person would need to be a moron to want to argue with me over these basic and easily proven  points...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:02 pm

And just to be clear, I consider Sinisters constant arguing over these points to be extremely disrespectful.... either he is calling me a liar or a idiot.... either I am misleading people or I am a complete idiot and after all my years running Nitro I am not smart enough to realize a big insert doesn't give better top end...same deal with the LRP 30 being a 5 port..... this guy who I consider a novice somehow thinks he's got all the answers and professionals in the industry don't know anything about anything !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:41 pm

[quote="Nitrojedi";p="887844"]And just to be clear, I consider Sinisters constant arguing over these points to be extremely disrespectful.... either he is calling me a liar or a idiot.... either I am misleading people or I am a complete idiot and after all my years running Nitro I am not smart enough to realize a big insert doesn't give better top end...same deal with the LRP 30 being a 5 port..... this guy who I consider a novice somehow thinks he's got all the answers and professionals in the industry don't know anything about anything ![/quote]

First off YOU follow me around Trolling then get pissey when I don't kiss your rump, lmfao stop following me around if you think I'm calling you an idiot if I ask you a question or simply question your comments. Lmfao OR just man up and answer a question with more than "Trust me Blah ba Blah"...

After all your years of Nitro you didn't realize RPM drop at shift seriously BASIC ish so like I said before what you know is questionable, and your legend edits are not what's suspect about your dyno comparisons. I have a keen eye and somethings off on one of the runs and IMO too coincidental...

As far as the X and SP2 you SAY one thing but fail to prove it. Since the burden of proof is on you 30year experience or not, I'm still waiting for you to prove it.. "Trust me" is not gonna cut it because I don't trust you, your just some text online.. I'm still open to seeing some proof, any time now lmfao..... If you do Pro e it, congratulations on taking the longest time to do so, but until you do you have not and here we are, lil-o-me laughing at you...

Bigger is not always better

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ctr ... or-tuning/

I don't give any weight to your comments because everytime you're questioned you run off on a "what do I know I only have a dyno and 30 years experience Blah ba Blah" you never actually prove anything or even simply respond to questioning....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:57 pm

[quote="SiNiST3R";p="887845"][quote="Nitrojedi";p="887844"]And just to be clear, I consider Sinisters constant arguing over these points to be extremely disrespectful.... either he is calling me a liar or a idiot.... either I am misleading people or I am a complete idiot and after all my years running Nitro I am not smart enough to realize a big insert doesn't give better top end...same deal with the LRP 30 being a 5 port..... this guy who I consider a novice somehow thinks he's got all the answers and professionals in the industry don't know anything about anything ![/quote]

First off YOU follow me around Trolling then get pissey when I don't kiss your rump, lmfao stop following me around if you think I'm calling you an idiot if I ask you a question or simply question your comments. Lmfao OR just man up and answer a question with more than "Trust me Blah ba Blah"...

After all your years of Nitro you didn't realize RPM drop at shift seriously BASIC ish so like I said before what you know is questionable, and your legend edits are not what's suspect about your dyno comparisons. I have a keen eye and somethings off on one of the runs and IMO too coincidental...

As far as the X and SP2 you SAY one thing but fail to prove it. Since the burden of proof is on you 30year experience or not, I'm still waiting for you to prove it.. "Trust me" is not gonna cut it because I don't trust you, your just some text online.. I'm still open to seeing some proof, any time now lmfao..... If you do Pro e it, congratulations on taking the longest time to do so, but until you do you have not and here we are, lil-o-me laughing at you...

Bigger is not always better

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ctr ... or-tuning/

I don't give any weight to your comments because everytime you're questioned you run off on a "what do I know I only have a dyno and 30 years experience Blah ba Blah" you never actually prove anything or even simply respond to questioning....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:04 pm

I skim over posts from both of you, because 99% of the time they are just the 2 of you arguing back and forth adding no value to the topic.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links