Team Losi Muggy Basher Thread..

Discuss anything R/C related that does not fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderators

HerrSavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Team Losi Muggy Basher Thread..

Post by HerrSavage » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:23 am

Don't know why, but I prefer talking about it here - feel more comfortable in Savy-forums..

So who else has a Muggy?

I have a roller on the way. Coming with a 12T CB.

Just bought a Tower Pro servo, or have my Bluebird 630 for steering.

Just won on ebay a set of brand-new Zombie-Maxx on Ofna dish rims(wide offset), AND a set of Maxx Mulcher MT's on the same rims... Hope they're not too offset. If so, I can switch the Axial 40 series from the Savage onto the Muggy and put the Zombies on the Sav..

Also, was getting totally sick of even thinking about the whole clutch problem, so I just ordered a set of Dynamite Max-Life clutch shoes and Mugen 1.0 springs. Instead of paying all the money for the Fioroni(which I hope I don't regret not having done...), I treated myself to a new JP2 pipe to go with the Axial... I also threw in a 48T SG from the 8t, which I heard should ease things on the clutch.. And 3x OS A5 plugs...

Anyway, the last major thing I have to address is the engine mount. It's coming set up for bump start. I was told to get the Muggy-specific pullstart(what will be on the Axial..) for it - but was kind of hoping I'd be able to find a simpler(ghetto, if need be..) solution.. Am I wrong here??

Anyway, any comments, input or suggestions would be appreciated. Also, any pics of any of your Muggies, setups, etc...

Cheers..
Last edited by HerrSavage on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2low4u
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 2low4u » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:46 am

IMO this is as good a place as any to put this topic. I have one on the way. Should be here this coming week. I haven't thought much on the clutch setup as I figured I'd run it till it broke for the break in then worry about that after. I have an RTR right from the factory untouched coming.

I have a set of black 17mm dish buggy rims that is about the same offset it needs just need to figure out what tires I want to put on them. I'll pick up a vented clutch bell & aluminum shoes when I get the truck also. Just in case. I'm deff lookin forward to getting this as it's my first new buy RTR that I didn't have to build myself. lol Mind you it'll get torn apart to replace the grease with quality diff fluid but still. that's minor.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bcane98
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by bcane98 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:04 pm

Good idea HerrSavage... I made this a sticky with the same intent of the "official" type threads... plus I have been looking at one myself...
[url=http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=59285]HOW TO USE THE SEARCH TOOL-BASICS[/url]
[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j75/bcane98/Signatures/RCSignature7.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HerrSavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by HerrSavage » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:42 am

Hmm.. Having guilty feelings.. Been working too much recently, and my girlfriend can't get time off so we can't travel, which is how I would prefer to spend my money..., so I had to blow some on something..

Anyway, I got the roller for €230 shipped.

Two sets of wheels on e-bay - €110 shipped.

Big order from A-main(JP2, etc..) - €115

Engine mount from Killer - €15

Tower Pro servo from e-bay - €17

Suddenly not such a cheap project.... Coulda' gotten a NEW CEN Matrix Pro or Hpyer ST or ST-1 Pro...(that latter would be my preference..) On the other hand it should have a very good resell value cuz they're not out here yet.. Hope this Muggy is cool....

Also dumb that, instead of repairing, I pretty much just let my Savage 25 and Lightning GT die, and end up a pile of parts in my room.. Need to unload that stuff somehow..

Anyhow, if a truggy is "set up for a starter box"(whatever that means..), is it going to be possible to use a pullstart engine?? Only have the engine mount from the LGT, OR a Savage one... Until the right one from Killer gets here....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HerrSavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by HerrSavage » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:14 pm

And, here she is:

The tires are just my Dirt Bonz on Ofna rims from the Savage.

Unfortunately too much work this week to really get it together - but it'll give me something to do on the weekend... Come on A-main and Killer, get here soon.... (I need that pipe and engine brace...)

Pretty happy with the purchase. Seems solid - was a good price. One tiny crack on a rear shock mount that will need to be addressed before any serious air is attempted, but for now no biggy..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2low4u
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 2low4u » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:39 pm

Man that box looks familiar lol.

My dog has to be involved in everything I bring in the house lol.

The expensive bag of goodies to go along with it

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2low4u
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 2low4u » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:10 pm

I did some research so I picked up an Ofna 12T clutch bell & 1.1 springs, Sportwerks 3 aluminum shoe setup, metal bearings to withstand heat better, Ofna shim kit to shim the clutch bell as that's where the heat issue & burnt bearings is coming from, Hitec crystal & DCX 3 channel dual conversion FM receiver, 3 & 10K weight diff fluid as they didn't have 7K, 35W shock oil.

Yes I know what was I thinking buying a Traxxas product lol!

I got the crystal & receiver so I can use my show truck controller for this & use the one that came with this for a different truck.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

KiZ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by KiZ » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:50 pm

hey 2low4u, what's the bottom left item? It reminds me of the small wheelie bar wheel for the savage.
[url=http://www.kizzard.net/gallery/][img]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r56/kizzzard/gray-sav.gif[/img][/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HerrSavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by HerrSavage » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:20 am

Nice ride.. They ARE awfully good looking trucks...

Here's mine with my LST2's Desert Rat..(just to see what it looks like - the holes don't totally match up - but I find it looks much better than on the LST2..):

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2low4u
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 2low4u » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:21 am

KiZ wrote:hey 2low4u, what's the bottom left item? It reminds me of the small wheelie bar wheel for the savage.
That's a sportwerks vented flywheel that i'm going to rig up as they didn't have any 12T vented flywheels.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2low4u
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 2low4u » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:34 am

Nice Herr! I like the look of the factory orange better on mine than my desert rat body from my race truck though I think.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HerrSavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by HerrSavage » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:04 am

Is that the small version DR? Hard to tell - dark pic...

But yeah, the stock body looks pretty good IMO...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2low4u
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 2low4u » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:11 am

HerrSavage wrote:Is that the small version DR? Hard to tell - dark pic...

But yeah, the stock body looks pretty good IMO...
Yeah it's the Savage/Revo one.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HerrSavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by HerrSavage » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:08 pm

Just installing the Fioroni - coupla' questions:

1.) shimming - where do I put the shims so that it comes out even at the end? Between the big gold washer that - I presume - goes over the clutch shoes - so between that and the first bearing??

2.) the shoes have two springs, on each side of the shoes, but it's not equal.. Does the deeper groove go towards the engine, or the end of the CB??

Also, should there be 1-2 mm of play forward and backward of the CB?? I can spin it and it spins nicely, but there is some play..

And should I locktite the screw on the end??

Thanks..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:31 am

Why would you guys want to run 1.1 springs ? especialy on a machine geared up like a MUggy......1.1 springs offer the lowest possible clutch grip and usualy lead to a rapidly worn clutch......... .9 springs offer the strongest clutch bite.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HerrSavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by HerrSavage » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:24 am

Killer Hobbies RULEZ..

Already got my engine mount today - wasn't expecting to be able to run the Mug for another week or so..

THANK YOU KILLER.

Anyway, so I spent a good two hours getting everything all rigged up - changing on/off switches, finding the right mesh(and people say Savages are hard to working on... This is easily ten times harder.. You can't even see it!!...)

So, I took it out and ran two tanks through it.

I LOVE the way it moves - and the sound, although it's the same pipe and all, is even cooler. AMAZING sound..

But still, high temps, and hard to find the sweet spot. It seems to run - with lots of smoke and spitting oil all over the place - a good 50+ degrees hotter than my Axial Spec 1S. I still don't have the right tune, but it does show signs of absolutely screaming on top end..

Lots of fun to drive.. I think I might be able to get into this truggy thing..

Anyway, I kind of doubt the JP-2 is going to bring temps down by 50 degrees...

So does that mean I need to seal the carb or what? Or should I just say screw it and accept 300 deg temps?? I even changed from a cold plug back to the MC8 -no difference whatsoever..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jesse096
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by jesse096 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:38 am

I'd seal it, and check that o-ring on the head, it might be damaged.

Might as well sea the needles and inspect everything while you have it apart too...

-Jesse
[url=http://www.groundpoundersrc.com][img]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i252/jesse096/jesse0961jpeg.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.armbell.com/xtreamoffroader/index.php?mforum=xtreamoffroader]My forum[/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HerrSavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by HerrSavage » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:47 am

I checked the O-ring before - mint condition..

I guess it must be an airleak on the carb then...

NO idea how to seal - and no motivation to learn right now... Maybe I'll find somebody in a German forum who knows and can send it to them...

Was such a lot of work getting it all together - linkages, mesh, etc.. I can't be bothered right now to take it all back apart..

Is it possible to seal a carb without taking the whole engine out??

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jesse096
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by jesse096 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:48 am

Yeah, just unhook the linkage from the carb, and yank that sum b**ch out!

I'll look for a sealing thread I posted on LSTforums.

-Jesse
[url=http://www.groundpoundersrc.com][img]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i252/jesse096/jesse0961jpeg.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.armbell.com/xtreamoffroader/index.php?mforum=xtreamoffroader]My forum[/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HerrSavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by HerrSavage » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:58 pm

This is what it looked like - with temps at like 286...

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u108 ... 69311c.flv

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links