Dremels

Discuss anything R/C related that does not fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderators

WyldOne
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Dremels

Post by WyldOne » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:16 am

Got a few stripped screws on my build at the moment that I would like to cut a notch on them with a dremel and screw out using a flathead screwdriver. There has been a couple of times where a dremel could be handy to use.

Any suggestions on what dremel to purchase or what to look for.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

stanmondz
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by stanmondz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:32 pm

i use a craftsman rotary tool
long live the vienna sausage

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

VladX
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by VladX » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:56 pm

i bought the cheapest dremmel with a cord. i tried the battery powered one and it was good, but realized that the corded one was gonna be more reliable.

you can go to harbor freight and order one of their cheapos, for what we do they work good.
another thing that is good is a diamond disc. it will cut faster and the discs are thinner than the regular ones.
[url=http://www.savage-central.com/Evo-Forums_-_file_-_viewtopic_-_t_-_92429.html]read me[/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SV250
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by SV250 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:14 am

They're all the same. I've burned up expensive Drexel name brands as easy as cheapos.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/sv250/383%20Jeep/SV-SIG04-02.png[/img]
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v376/sv250/?special_track=nav_tab_album

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Purenitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Purenitro » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:44 am

It's a little spendy but this is what I have been using for years without issue, worth the money if you need it more then just once in a while.

http://www.foredom.net/sr-fct.aspx
Click for Performance Tuning Guide
[url=http://www.extremercmods.com/?page=tuning][img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l291/purenitro/National.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/purenitro?feature=mhsn][b][size=150]Videos[/size][/b][/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

s2022
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by s2022 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:23 pm

I have the proxxon ib/e rotary tool. Don't have a dremel to compare too, though read it in many places,  that the runout on the proxxon is less.  If you are just using it for simple cuts or things any rotary tool will do.
[color=blue]Regards
RCS2022[/color]
[color=blue][i][url=http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=93732]Savage Flux XL; Mamba XL2; 1717; Custom CD; Mech Brakes[/url][/i][/color]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

borneoben
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by borneoben » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:20 am

I have the Cordless Lithium Powered Dremel and I have used it allot over the last 6 years and it has been perfect.

Not one issue at all. Its my Favorite tool in my arsenal.

The best accessory is to change the collet type chuck for a regular 3 jaw type chuck way more practical.

The thin cutting discs are fine for slotting screw heads but you must have a steady hand or they will break very easily.

Like all power tools make sure your cutting bits are sharp and let the tool do the work dont force it through any material and your power tool will last a life time.

Ben

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nitronly
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by nitronly » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:08 am

I got the small simple coarded dremmel set. It was $99. The only thing I really use is the cutting/grinding disc so I think it would have been a waste to get the huge kit with a bunch of attachments i'll never use. I would just get the tool and buy the bits you will actually use seperately.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

savagenitroflux
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by savagenitroflux » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:52 am

[quote="borneoben";p="857511"]I have the Cordless Lithium Powered Dremel and I have used it allot over the last 6 years and it has been perfect.

Not one issue at all. Its my Favorite tool in my arsenal.

The best accessory is to change the collet type chuck for a regular 3 jaw type chuck way more practical.

The thin cutting discs are fine for slotting screw heads but you must have a steady hand or they will break very easily.

Like all power tools make sure your cutting bits are sharp and let the tool do the work dont force it through any material and your power tool will last a life time.

Ben[/quote]

I used to have this dremel and it was great.  I agree on the cordless aspect but i've since stepped up to the milwaukee version which is much more powerfull and the battery lasts A LOT longer. gave the cordless dremel to my Dad ( he still uses it).  Since it is cordless, i find myself using it for MANY more jobs around the house b/c it is much more convenient that dealing with the dremel power cord Cordless Dremel Rotary Tool

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

savagenitroflux
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by savagenitroflux » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:54 am

[quote="borneoben";p="857511"]

[/quote]

ben, try these, you'll love them dremel ez cut off wheel

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nitronly
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by nitronly » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:19 pm

[quote="savagenitroflux";p="857531"][quote="borneoben";p="857511"]

[/quote]

ben, try these, you'll love them dremel ez cut off wheel[/quote]
That's the one I have. It came with my dremmel and is the only bit I use. It;s tough and good for cutting or grinding and mine is still good after over a year and many uses.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

xtremesavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by xtremesavage » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:38 pm

whatever rotory you choose,,You want adjustable speed & consider the flexable wand.
you can get more precise,,and easier on the hands.

EBAY
^^
Has exact milwaukee tool for $70 BIN.

I'm thinking about buying one now,,cordless would be so much easier,,especaily with the wand.
[img]http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n403/xtremesavage/newsig.png[/img]
Share knowlegde,,,Dont brag!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lesclaypool
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by lesclaypool » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:07 pm

What's the amperage on the cordless ones from Dremel?  I really want to pick one of those up too, but I'm concerned about battery life and torque vs. 115V corded version.
Terry

Big loud smelly truck, even bigger loud smelly truck which is even louder, slow buggy, green truck, green stinky truggy, white stinky truggy, fun quiet truck, slow truck, really slow truck, truck with really big body, ugly plane, grey radio.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

savagenitroflux
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by savagenitroflux » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:40 pm

[quote="xtremesavage";p="857549"]whatever rotory you choose,,You want adjustable speed & consider the flexable wand.
you can get more precise,,and easier on the hands.

EBAY
^^
Has exact milwaukee tool for $70 BIN.

I'm thinking about buying one now,,cordless would be so much easier,,especaily with the wand.[/quote]

nice part about the milwaukee is that the battery lasts very long and is compatible with other tools in this line.  i have the cordless driver (use it mostly for the baja) and the sub compact drill.  youll be very happy with it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links