Buy/sell/trade

Help us help you! Post your comments and/or suggestions for Savage-Central.

Moderator: Moderators

xtremesavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Buy/sell/trade

Post by xtremesavage » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:17 pm

SC has a the "edit" button disabled, so the thread cant be changed,,,,,But then it gets auto deleted anyway, maybe the auto delete should be longer, until the deal is completed.

Personally I wouldn't mind the edit button back, I understand why its there, but what does it do?? I mean if a deal is made on this site, & the seller turns out to be con, can SC do anything?? There is bad feedback in the feedback thread right now. If a mod wanted to research the deal to determine the original deal, they couldn't,,Even if they could what would happen? would the con man get banned? even if they are banned they can start a new account & still be lurking around.

It's always going to come down to buyer beware,,

What does everyone else think??
[img]http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n403/xtremesavage/newsig.png[/img]
Share knowlegde,,,Dont brag!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:22 pm

I am the type of person If you want to deal with me it REQUIRES a phone call so I get a #, and a valid address. So I can come DEAL with you if you stiff me. LOL! I dont send any $ till I get those 2 things. Or I just use Ebay.
I'm not a Superstar. I cant even drive like one.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NITROMITE
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by NITROMITE » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:43 pm

I think the most of us are honest, and we are here to help one another. It's a shame one person gets flustered and It causes a problem all over the site.  I say use paypal and trust that everyone here is good people like us. I do PM admin just to aware them of the purchase. But I see nothing wrong with editing! I would have copied the original post anyway. I hope you are not the one having issues EX, I have purchased from you with not one single problem.
[img]http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/VNCBEARING/Avatars/Animation1-3.gif[/img]
[b][color=red]GREAT BASH VID[/color][/b]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9GiFXrOKiA
[size=150][b]UN FLUXING BELIEVABLE [/b][/size]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rokie1432
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rokie1432 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:57 pm

i had a look at that thread that 19185 posted on his XL sale, and i must say the truck looks mint, good for its price...
I still remember Nitromite was trying to get Lady Pearl on the deal too.....and fortunately for her, but not so for the actual buyer....

i have a couple of good transactions with some good guys here in this forum, and had no issues....payment via paypal....

but that said, the problemS that xtreme mentioned above still exist....and can happen to anyone....and maybe even more so after this incident...
really hope to see some form of "controls" within the BST to protect both buyer, and seller...
Sav X - Picco.28; 086; FLM, BPs, RPM, BBs, Bashcat Braces, Hitec 7954SH, 5645MG, MA1N5T.

[img]http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/EggbertPhotos/RCvehicles/SpeedyEggbertSig.gif[/img] *Artwork@Eggbert.Creations*

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:15 pm

It sure couldn't hurt.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:20 pm

The BST was put in to make a place for SC members to use amongst themselves.  Unfortunately people make up an account just to post stuff up for sale. There have been suggestions ranging from a minimum post count to use the BST all the way to being a "special membership required" section where the admin would have to approve any one to post there.  The minimum post count is a short time solution in my opinion, because what we'll end up with is a bunch of posts from the scamers consisting of "yup" "nice", etc. to boost their post count so they can post in the BST.  The special membership required isn't going to fly, I am the only regularly appearing admin, and there are only 4 mods left that are here on a regular basis, way too much work to go over everyone's posts to see if they are deserving of posting in the BST. One thing I proposed a few years ago before I was even a mod was to make it so that you needed a "paid" email account to become a member, no yahoo,aim,gmail etc accounts.  I was shot down on the idea with the explanation that this site is open to everyone without restriction.  This includes those that may not be old enough to have timewarnercable, comcast or what ever other paid ISPs provide email accounts, and that making the bst only acessable to those would involve way too much custom programing.  The auto delete in the BST is currently set at 30 days, I will consider making it 60 days if you guys think it will make a difference.

My advise is to not make a purchase from anyone without enough posts for you to look at and get a feel for them. buying from anyone with only 3 or 4 posts it a huge risk IMO. If you believe that 100 posts should be the minimum number of posts to be able to sell in the BST you shouldn't buy from anyone with less than that number of posts, no matter how good of a deal it is. All members have their post count under their name, it's easy to see. Also, all you have to do is click on the "Profile" in their post, and then the link to "see all posts by xxxxxx". I see a lot of for sale threads in the BST from members with less than 20 posts and a few members that have at one time pushed for minimum post counts, have bought from those selling with very little posts. I am not saying that all low post count members can't be trusted, or to trust them, but to look over the posts they have made on the site and make an intelligent informed decision. The BST is a use at your own risk forum. Please use all possible care when buying and selling.

If you have any suggestions to make the BST better, please feel free to post them here or PM me. I will consider all suggestions, but I am petty sure I have heard and evaluated almost anything that can be suggested already. I am seriously considering making it so that noone can reply to a thread in the BST except the original poster, then every trade or sale will have to be done through PM or email.

To be honest, I'd like to get rid of the BST, but what we would end up with is for sale posts all over the site.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rokie1432
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rokie1432 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:39 pm

how about a verified ebay account, with good rating, to backup any seller wanting to sell in BST?....
Sav X - Picco.28; 086; FLM, BPs, RPM, BBs, Bashcat Braces, Hitec 7954SH, 5645MG, MA1N5T.

[img]http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/EggbertPhotos/RCvehicles/SpeedyEggbertSig.gif[/img] *Artwork@Eggbert.Creations*

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chestercheeto
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by chestercheeto » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:45 pm

I notice that in your feedback thread its all bad feedback theres nowhere to post good ive bought stuff off other people with no problems but i had nowhere to post good feedback can i suggest a place where we can post good feedback
[img]http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx319/chestercheeto20022000/chestercheetoek0.png[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:59 pm

Great Idea. How about a member generated list of approved sellers. Like a sort of we approve these guys list. LOL!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:15 pm

[quote="chestercheeto";p="768383"]I notice that in your feedback thread its all bad feedback theres nowhere to post good ive bought stuff off other people with no problems but i had nowhere to post good feedback can i suggest a place where we can post good feedback[/quote]

Due to an error on the mods part the original feedback thread was lost, which is why it's now in the general savage forum.  All feedback can be PMed to one of the mods or myself. Maybe 2 feedback threads are in order, one for good feedback one for bad. That would make it easier to sort, unlike the old way of putting all feedback in 1 thread to have member look through and sort the good from bad, I'm sure the mods and I can handle that. I will even look into a sub forum for the feedback right in the BST.  It would be read only for members, so that if there is a misunderstanding, we can keep it from becoming a flame-fest.  Chester, thanks for an idea I have not yet heard, even if it wasn't a direct suggestion.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

KiZ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by KiZ » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:41 pm

[quote="Squid";p="768373"]One thing I proposed a few years ago before I was even a mod was to make it so that you needed a "paid" email account to become a member, no yahoo,aim,gmail etc accounts. ?I was shot down on the idea with the explanation that this site is open to everyone without restriction. ?This includes those that may not be old enough to have timewarnercable, comcast or what ever other paid ISPs provide email accounts, and that making the bst only acessable to those would involve way too much custom programing.[/quote]
The other reason this would not be an acceptable solution is that there used to be a time when paid email accounts were the norm for internet bill payers. Nowadays the evolution of good webmail services like gmail mean that a large amount of people use them exclusively and don't bother with paid accounts. I for one don't have any paid accounts yet I'm sure you agree I am worth of trust ;)

The auto delete in the BST is currently set at 30 days, I will consider making it 60 days if you guys think it will make a difference.
Yes, that seems like a reasonable thing to help out the situation. There is really no disadvantage to doubling the length of BST posts and if it helps disputes be resolved, all the better.

The minimum post count is a short time solution in my opinion, because what we'll end up with is a bunch of posts from the scamers consisting of "yup" "nice", etc. to boost their post count so they can post in the BST.
We could certainly set this up anyway. We could make the limit 250 or perhaps even higher, 500? That would be too much work for anyone who just wanted to scam people, and certainly anyone piling 250 odd posts in a row would be obvious.

My advise is to not make a purchase from anyone without enough posts for you to look at and get a feel for them. buying from anyone with only 3 or 4 posts it a huge risk IMO. If you believe that 100 posts should be the minimum number of posts to be able to sell in the BST you shouldn't buy from anyone with less than that number of posts, no matter how good of a deal it is. All members have their post count under their name, it's easy to see. Also, all you have to do is click on the "Profile" in their post, and then the link to "see all posts by xxxxxx". I see a lot of for sale threads in the BST from members with less than 20 posts and a few members that have at one time pushed for minimum post counts, have bought from those selling with very little posts. I am not saying that all low post count members can't be trusted, or to trust them, but to look over the posts they have made on the site and make an intelligent informed decision. The BST is a use at your own risk forum. Please use all possible care when buying and selling.
Unfortunately this does seem this is our only reliable (if you can call it that) option. The suggested option of "approved members only" seems like a nice idea but with the volume of people passing through here I know it would make a headache for us trying to sort out who from who (and we would get the blame if a bad deal did go down). My only other thought is installing a karma/rep mod. Only users with a certain karma or rep would be allowed to post in BST. We'd need Oarie to help us do that.

To be honest, I'd like to get rid of the BST, but what we would end up with is for sale posts all over the site.
IMO I think we should try to always keep the BST. It's a boon for our loyal members, being able to swap, buy and sell trucks is not only helpful but a good way to recycle them. I am willing to work on solutions for our problems if it means we can keep this service open to members.
[url=http://www.kizzard.net/gallery/][img]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r56/kizzzard/gray-sav.gif[/img][/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

72xmulch
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by 72xmulch » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:58 pm

i actually joined just to post something for sale. ive been reading this forum for years though, im not exactly a NOOB but i feel that if im not actually helping to solve a problem, why post anything at all and everything i might say has allready been said or is probably wrong. if you make a minumum post requirement youll have tons of d-bags like me just getting my count up with useless crap and itll be just like every other forum. BOOO. maybe require users to post their paypal/ebay info or something..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

benjamin01986
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by benjamin01986 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:12 pm

Just an idea but what about a trader rating like they have below the avatars on rc tech?
Hpi Savage
Slash Desert Rat body
Savage XL TVPS
FLM +.5 A arms
Hpi Big Bore Shocks
LRP z.28
2.4 Ghz Spectrum

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gamer702
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by Gamer702 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:03 am

[quote="benjamin01986";p="768404"]Just an idea but what about a trader rating like they have below the avatars on rc tech?[/quote]

thats a good idea but does the forum support that

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

xtremesavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by xtremesavage » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:57 am

I say bring back the EDIT button, And everyone use the B/S/T forum at their own risk, I have bought plenty from this site, but I only buy from reputable member's, If its too good to be true it probably is. If you get ripped off it's your own fault, I wont even consider a great deal if the member has low post's, unless they provide some kind of + feedback like eBay.

Its Buyer Beware,,,SC cannot protect you and is not responsible.

A pos & neg feedback is a good idea though, Easier to use.

Shouldn't neg feedback be confirmed before posting, What if some guy decides to post Bullspit just to cause problem's,,ya know what I mean? I dont want someone posting neg about me if I dont deserve it.
[img]http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n403/xtremesavage/newsig.png[/img]
Share knowlegde,,,Dont brag!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GSGA
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire
Location: Either in a field or my workshop fixing something I've just broken - in a field...

Post by GSGA » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:13 am

How about a membership time limit, say a year combined with a post limit before you can sell something in the B/S/T?

Short term posters would not be able to sell anything then and if you wanted to start up just to sell something you've got to build your post count as well which would make it more hassle.
[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee284/Banzai_22/GSGA-SIGGIF02-01b.gif[/img]
[url=http://goo.gl/NMk1h]K4.6 SHO[/url]
[url=http://goo.gl/9jHqt]Flux Triple X[/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rokie1432
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rokie1432 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:36 am

hmmm....i'm actually thinnking of a ridiculous idea...but may work...here it is:

how about the transaction between seller and buyer ($ wise) be middle-manned by SC itself?....the dollars get held up in SC "temp account" for that particular transaction...and once goods  received, the $ get funded to the seller.....that way, SC admin/Mod will have control over any disputes....

just a thought....but it may be difficult to implement....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

gerben
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by gerben » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:38 am

Sorry for first posting the feedback in the B/S/T forum but couldn't find a trader feedback thread.

Just so you guys know, Paypal only provides buyer protection when bought through ebay,
Because I filed a dispute and this was escalated to a claim by Paypal self and they basically said, "you have no buyer protection so good luck".

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rokie1432
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rokie1432 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:39 am

of course, pls let me add, that SC could also charge a certain "fee" for providing such a middle-man service....fee may be a small % of the selling price...

this way, the SC forum can get funded....and no need to "beg" for donours....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SV250
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by SV250 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:37 am

I had thought the middle man idea would work too, but that would put some liability on the site. Cant do that.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/sv250/383%20Jeep/SV-SIG04-02.png[/img]
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v376/sv250/?special_track=nav_tab_album

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links