which one

Forum for discussing nostalgic R/C cars and trucks of the past.

Moderator: Moderators

VegasNitro
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

which one

Post by VegasNitro » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:20 pm

I've been looking through this forum and even though I wasn't alive in the eighties I really want an old buggy. I've narrowed my search down to 2, the kyosho turbo optima mid and the tamiya falcon. I was wondering which of these two is tougher? faster?

Also does the hornet that tamiya still sells use the same parts as the old one?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grinchmob
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Grinchmob » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:46 pm

I think the new "Super Hornet" is a lttle different. I had an original Hornet ( my first RC) and I have recently seen the Super Hornet. Form what I can remember form back in the 80's, they have the same basic design but I couldn't say if they were interchangeable.

I also had a Optima (original before they called it a mid) It was tough but the chain drive was always stretching and getting sloppy.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Natedog
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Natedog » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:46 am

The Tamiya Super Hornet would be a good buy. It's somewhat different...ie wheels and tires, but looks like some of it interchanges.
TheSavageNation

HPI Wheely King crawler build here: http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=69689

Check out my TLT-1 crawler build here:
http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=575939#57

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ctren
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by ctren » Sun May 22, 2005 10:05 pm

the hornet was much more toy like then the optima. I remember the optima was THE 4wd buggy to have.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HamiltonSavageX
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by HamiltonSavageX » Mon May 08, 2006 9:01 pm

I had a Falcon my first real R/C still have it, I'm starting a rebuild of it. They are great handling buggies I loved to race it back in the late 80's, it's been highly modified over the year, CV joint's on the back insted of the dog bones, rear track 3/8 inch wider, battery moved from across mounted to center length mounted, ESC,
Hand built and tuned motor, baja beetle body.
I wish I could go back to those days of racing my Falcon.

If these are your choices I'd go with the Falcon.

The Hornet is a primitive toy in comparison to the Falcon IMO

I've owned a Grashopper converted to a monster truck what a sloppy driving thing this was.

3 Traxass Bullits still have 2, these are great buggies aluminum chasse. if you can find one of these get it.

A clod Buster now this was a fun RC, with double battery packs it would climb curbs no prob. but it was a very primitive beast stock.

a Kyosho Raider I can't even find this any were on the internet but I have one so it must exist.

and a few others I can't remember the names of.

Good luck and have fun with what ever choice you make. old school was fun times.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links