Your first R/C

Forum for discussing nostalgic R/C cars and trucks of the past.

Moderator: Moderators

SLAYERDUDE
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Re: Your first R/C

Post by SLAYERDUDE » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:12 pm

Sorry man, no unmounted foams. :(
Those are all for an AE RC12L.
[img]http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy229/rc1/Avitars/sc.gif[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

VladX
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by VladX » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:05 am

my first true rc was a tamiya nitrage.

man was it a beast to begin with. lol.

it was indeed a tough sob, i learned tuning on it and how to drive it too. lol.
never broke a piece and sold it. i will buy one someday again.
[url=http://www.savage-central.com/Evo-Forums_-_file_-_viewtopic_-_t_-_92429.html]read me[/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mowerman
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by mowerman » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:57 am

My first true rc was a tamiya blackfoot. That was after tons of throw away nikko. That blackfoot took a beating and kept coming. I killed the electronics floating it in a pond after watching the real bigfoot float across a pond

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Synk
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Synk » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:18 am

the tyco baja bandit

this was my first rc. The one that had me want a rc as an adult. It was the best consumer grade rc i ever had. Fast and good power.
savage x ss Lrp zr.30, octane cage and mod radio box, ofna mid tank 250cc, integy saver front/rear hubs, sv250 mod 3 spd, no mix arm throttle, hitec 5645 5625 servos, 4xbb 4xstd shocks w/35wt, flux drivetrain, 30k wt diff oil,  new era wing, tonys screws

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

VladX
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by VladX » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:51 am

tamiya nitrage, so bad+++, i will have one again someday.
[url=http://www.savage-central.com/Evo-Forums_-_file_-_viewtopic_-_t_-_92429.html]read me[/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

804SavageXL
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by 804SavageXL » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:24 am

My first hobby grade was a tamiya 1/10 scale jeep wrangler then a electric stampede,then a ofna pirate 10 with a os 12 engine.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

iwaslikedayum
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by iwaslikedayum » Wed May 22, 2013 12:48 pm

I had a Grasshopper. Ran it in the ground then got the gold chassis RC-10. I put a Lightning 18 turn 540 in it and the rest is history.

Lightning was a company out of Fort Worth, that at the time was eons ahead of everyone else.
[img]http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a526/iwaslikedayum/138981911153274_zps27f19f55.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

eh23
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by eh23 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:27 pm

My first hobby grade RC was a Traxxas Nitro Hawk, and of course at the time my dumb asss didnt know sh*t about RC so I ended up giving it to a friend of mine -_- Boy was my uncle PO'd... Hahaha

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Craiger
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Craiger » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:59 pm

When I was 14 I got a Tamiya Hornet for Christmas and stayed up until 5 in the morning building it. I was hooked! It was just as fun building them as running them. I then got a Hotshot with the unique rear suspension. I had a Wild Willy, a Bruiser. But I always wanted a nitro.
I am now 42 and hooked on nitro! I know electrics have come along way with brushless and all but I love the challenge, the smell, the sound and the complexity of nitro. In my opinion anyone can flip on a switch and run an electric. But nitro on the other hand takes skill and a bit of thinking involved. Now that I think about it my wife always called mine toys until I got nitro's. But I have nothing against electric's at all, I just prefer nitro. Gosh I hope I didn't offend anyone that prefers electric, if I did I am sorry!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:54 am

First ever was a Nikko Porsche 911 onroad with rubber slicks, looked hot but wasn't exactly fast.

My first legit RC was a Tamiya hornet bought as a Christmas present in 1992, then a Blackfoot, followed by a 4wd chain-driven Kyosho optima (ahead of its time) which I wish I still had - I loved that thing... www.vintagercweb.com/optima/optima_promo3.jpg

A Tamiya Hotshot came next which I drilled holes in to make lighter - ruined it! I still have parts of it including those yellow oil filled plastic coil overs. I Used to save my *censored* off to buy upgraded Tamiya batteries and the black, silver and gold modified motors. Had some fun street racing but always ended up hitting a gutter and having to save forever to get em back in action.

I also still have a Novak brushless full carbon racing RS4 with lotus shell and 1/10 scale rubber slicks - real fast. I then bought a Savage 25, and an XSS (with a new novarossi engine) which I still own.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:06 am

Found one of my old favourites. About 12 years old. It's an HPI twin carbon fibre plate road car - the chassis alone cost me $600 back then..Belt driven 4WD. I dug it out of my parents garage whilst on Father's Day. Heck I'm taking her home.. This was pulling about 60MPh before I left the hobby for a while and before Lipo existed, I put in a Novak 3.5 velocity motor and esc when brushless first hit the scene... I'm going to grab some lipos and run it... This thing was uncontrollable on nimh!! I had to put on 1/10 scale HPI stadium truck wheels and ground the tyres down to rubber slicks to try and get traction. Check out the photos an absolute classic. I was running a 911 turbo shell and remember repainting the lotus before I got married and it went into storage. BEAST

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

longjohn
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by longjohn » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:19 am

Great thread!  OFNA Dominator was my 1st hobby grade RC.  Bought it about 1 year before the savage was relaesed if I recall correctly.  Upgraded it with a SaBR extended Ti chassis, man I loved that truck!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:58 am

Giddy up longjohn... Ti chassis - Nice!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links