Your first R/C

Forum for discussing nostalgic R/C cars and trucks of the past.

Moderator: Moderators

DirtmagnetXSS
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Re: Your first R/C

Post by DirtmagnetXSS » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:20 pm

First R/C was a Nikko... can't remember what kind now.. thats was '89 or '90. it did have that cool "turbo" slot on the stick radio... LOL. It awesome back then!! then it was a Traxxas buggy forget what it was, but want to say bandit.. back in '94? anyway it had a plastic tub chassis, then i went high class with the gold tub RC10 followed by the RC10T (#1!!) which i still have and run occasionally :D
Savage X SS 4.6 - HPI green springs, preloaders in rear only, white 40 series HD velocity's, 40 series Bow ties, RPM's a-arms and center skid, Hitec HS985MG, silcone diff fluid.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chuckles2069
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by chuckles2069 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:59 pm

my first was an tamyia USA1 the some of my friends got them and i couldnt race with them but i could drive over theres. so then i got a baja beetle, that was kool but I WANTED MORE so i got the hornet and then the rc10 t2 which i had for a while up graded to a rooster and an atom motor. my friend whos uncle owned the hobby store here moved and the store shut down so i got out of it for a while

then came the nitro first was a nitro stampeed .15, broke the front brace twice so i said screw it, got a nitro wrustler .15 fired the motor got out of it for a few years then got another wrustler with a .25. got out of it for another few years. traded my old lap top for an original rct gt. broke that and then another friend of mine introduced me to 1/8 scale

caught the nitro bug again and ended up with an overpriced savage from a hobby store because i'm an instant gratification type person,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CRUSADER
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by CRUSADER » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:23 pm

My very first R/C was a toy. It was a Ford Mustang II. It was white with stripes ... don't remember where it came from or whatever happened to it. That was in the '80's I guess. Later I bought a Tamiya kit of some kind. Again, I can't recall the name. It was an electric 2 wheel drive buggy.

Much later I got a Kyosho Optima Mid SE, an Associated pan car of some kind (10L?) and a Tamiya Clod Buster. I still have the Clod Buster ... no pics though. I'll dig it out & take some.

The Kyosho and Asociated cars are long gone, but I do have a few photo's of the Kyosho Optima Mid. I scanned 'em, so they're a little grainy:

Last edited by CRUSADER on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRUSADER sends...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mx752
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by mx752 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:43 pm

My frist rc was a F1 car by fisher-price. took me about 20 min to get down the hall way hitting the wall as i went. got it for my like 2nd B-day.

http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/Pop ... 91838.html

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

davl7
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by davl7 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:59 am

Mine was a Tamiya Subaru Brat, in 1984, thought it was great (after i dropped an RS540 motor into it) it had no diff, but i could win races at my local RC club, infact i was top of the league as the indoor track didn't really lend itself to the newer Tamiya Fox's et al as they were just too fast. Fond memories, which i tried to recapture when i got my son a Tamiya Stadium Blazer 3 years ago, it seemed good whilst the baterries lasted (about 6 mins) but it was short lived. Its now resigned to his book case and the Savages have taken over, they do cost loads more!! as you all know, but they are sooo much fun, and we run them for hours on end at weekends. Viva HPI!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mustbnitro
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by mustbnitro » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:35 pm

Nikko Scorpion or something along those lines, I thought I was big *censored* because it had a "rechargable" 6 cell battery pack. yet that charger was a 4 hour charger and I only had one battery pack. try being 8 and having to wait hours for a battery to charge up.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Flamnpede
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Flamnpede » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:57 pm

Mine was a ratshack onroad porsche. I then stepped upto the Grasshopper,then blackfoot,rc10 championship edition,rc10t,rc10 orginal (still have),jrxt then a seven year break. I then bought a stampede,t-maxx,savage,rc18t,tlt1,and a xxxnt which I gave to my son.

Still can't forget my grasshopper with the 8cell and race-prep modified motor. Hey at 13 it sure did seem fast.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gereke
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Gereke » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:32 pm

First hobby grade R/C was a Kyosho Sandmaster ST-2. I think that poor thing only had about 3 tanks of gas ran through it.. Stripped the clutch bell on the first run after break in. Didn't threadlock the screws that held the engine mount on. Had a hard time finding replacement parts for it, and stuff broke every time I ran it. So it got thrown on the shelf. Still have it, and plan on modifying it into electric.

Also got a Bolink Funny Car, a Tamiya Clodbuster, 2 Tamiya S-10's, and 2 HPI RS4 Sports. (sold all of them)

Now I have a Wheely King and my new Savage X 4.6

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mustbnitro
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by mustbnitro » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:12 pm

Savage VS. Chevelle
$120 VS. $8,000 Big Block Swap
$50 VS. $600 New Transmission
$30 VS. $2,000 New Body and Paint

So who said R/C was so expensive?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

terryk2003
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by terryk2003 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:03 pm

my first rc was a ford truck from radio shack...

my first hobby rc was a traxxas spirit...then i had a stampede! :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mazdab2600
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by mazdab2600 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:35 am

terryk2003 wrote:my first rc was a ford truck from radio shack...

my first hobby rc was a traxxas spirit...then i had a stampede! :D

was it this one?

had both. blue and the yellow with the original monster tire's.
got this one from the inlaws a few yrs back.
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/osborste/mine/DSCF0003-1.jpg[/img]

hpi f4.6
axial .28
picco .26 monster
picco p3 .28
lrp spec3 z.28
traxxas e-maxx-for the quiet days...lol

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

-zapper-
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by -zapper- » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:41 am

LMFAO whats funny is my cousin got one of those for free like 2 years ago, and we beat the snot out of it and made a video and put it on putfile. LOL tough lil thing!

my first rc was a lil 1/12 scale Nikko buggy. my first hobby grade was a duratrash evader st. my first nitro was a traxxas s-maxx. no longer have the evader, s-maxx is basically my show truck. i run truggies and what not now and have over 15 vehicals under roof 8)
If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel to stand in front of them.
[quote="xtremesavage";p="674967"] looking at your modifying skill's I think you might run into trouble on the midtank mod.[/quote]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

enzo354
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by enzo354 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:42 pm

An old nikko buggy, ran for a long time and i used to drive it in circle inside, antenna broke so i took it apart ( i was about 7) and somehow never got it back together.
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p250/enzo354/Untitled-1-10.png[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

FASTWILLY
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by FASTWILLY » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:53 pm

Tamiya Hornet, then the original RC-10.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Thunderbruiser
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by Thunderbruiser » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:18 am

im a young dude..i wanna say my first was the original rc10 T black tub baby that or a tamiya ta01 tourer one of the two...can't quite remember

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Twistedsavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Twistedsavage » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:31 am

good ol Bolink sport 2000
Novak explorer esc and some tower hobbies 27 turn motor

Man that was fast then
The Twistedsavage will ride again

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Trisb
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Trisb » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:46 am

I remember i had this toyish looking rc buggy. Really weak. I had it when i was like 5. Then my parents got me on of those big firetrucks : P.
Savage, Mini-T, Wheely king, Slash. Too many hop ups to list.

If it isn't broken why not break it?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

asonda
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by asonda » Sat May 10, 2008 9:04 pm

I had loads of different TOY R/C Cars, the kind from Toys r Us and Argos etc.

My first was a Tamiya Grasshopper, long story behind that but it's an original 80s one that I got in like 1995/96 approx, parents brought it off a friend of theirs for 20 quid :) I thought it was the nuts. It was old, beat up and a mess (I still have it and will NEVER get rid of it), Few years later, for xmas I picked out the Tamiya Wild Dagger, twin motor. I built it from KIT and loved it, spent about 2 days building it solid, come on I was only like 11 or something,

years later a friend got a T-MAXX so I got interested again, so I took the stock motors out my wild dagger and put in a 15Turn motor in the back and a 17Turn motor in the front, I bought a cheapy ESC for it, the fuse was like 5 amp or something and the thing was slower than the stock motors, so I ripped apart a mini fuse and soldered a big thick bit of copper wire between the two blades and put it where the fuse should be, and holy crap did it move, everything got a bit loose (plastic bearings etc) and after a good five minutes, the ESC caught fire and the wire for the battery pack burnt through aswell ROFL.

At that time, I had just saved up all my money from working as saturday boy at a local tractor dealership (yer yer, waits for the comments) and bought the Terra Crusher, it was the last one in the shop, and I had been in to put the deposit on it whilst somebody was asking about buying it, me was one lucky sod, they had a paying in book and my crusher was the last so it was in the window with a big sold sign on it and every week I'd go into the shop and give them my weekends wages, finally when the summer holidays came, I worked all week, paid for the truck and stopped working there for that summer hehe. Proper school boy stuff, saw it everyday on the way home from school, knowing it was mine when I had paid for it :D:D

turned out it pretty much sucked, all of them ended up going back, out of the five, five had all failed! at the time we had the choice of having  1.) a full refund (
Terra Crusher .18 Stock, Soon to be Savage Owner.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SavageX28
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SavageX28 » Sat May 10, 2008 9:18 pm

My first RC was my Savage!!!! :P

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

inv3ctiv3
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by inv3ctiv3 » Wed May 21, 2008 1:20 pm

I got my first r/c car for x-mas back in about '91 or '92, it was a Kyosho Outlaw Ultima! I still own the truck to this day (I have two now), my brother got a Kyosho Double Dare that same x-mas so it was a good one haha. I was 6 years old so I was super stoked, been hooked ever since. I am a huge vintage Kyosho enthusiast, if anyone has any they want to get rid of let me know  :wink: I have pics of the cars, I'll post them later tonight.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links