Steering Servo Tests

General Savage Discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Steering Servo Tests

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:36 pm

Once again---long winded post but if you are interested I'm confident this will benefit you.

I've spent the past few months getting to know my Savage. I'm a buggy/truggy guy so the design was completely foreign to me.I am starting to get my pulse on what makes them tick. I'm 1/2 there. ;-)

When I first started to learn about MTs, I was really disappointed that many of the self-proclaimed gurus are really more concerned with what color heat sinks, shock springs, etc will match their 'color scheme' (I am not making this stuff up--I was shocked to learn the guys flapped their gums all the time making me think they knew their *censored*, well...didn't know their *censored*).

My focus has been on the the 'boring' stuff instead. I get geeked when I find shock pistons that will give more progressive damping for my Savage, or how to independently set droop in the front and rear, etc. Neither approach is right or wrong, but it is truly amazing the breadth of approaches folks have concerning MTs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some elitist race buggy guy....I can drag knuckles with the best of them....mark my words I am slowly turning my Savage in to a straight up thug. But I do it by running/analyzing/testing. I am not adpet enough to just write out a list and then make it happen.

Long-winded way of saying one area I've tested is steering. Specifically servos. 16 different servos. My intent was actually to test out servos on all my vehicles to find the right combinations. However, if I can give back to the Savage community in any way I'm happy to post up the results just for the Savage.

So as

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MShark
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by MShark » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:56 am

IMHO, for me it all boils down to adequate control, speed of response, power drain, and what type of tires are being run for each unique set up. Budget comes in last for me lol! (But it might be a priority for others.)

For example I use a 172oz/.12 second steering servo and it moves the badlands on cement with no problems. And I find no need to up upgrade to anything better for my current set up. However I guess if I switch to a larger, wider tire then there would be a significant change in steering dynamics.

Anyway I'm looking for a servo in the 250oz+ range with sub .10 response that has minimal power drain just to cater to any future change in tire configuration and it looks like I might be adding a little weight to the truck with what I have for future plans coming soon.

Just wondering if you would label the names of the above servos you used? That would be an awesome guide to start with. Thanks in advance man!
Last edited by MShark on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for well modded truggy/buggy, PM me! Also maybe Savage X/XL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MShark
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by MShark » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:00 am

That 260/.05 servo looks enticing. Which one was that?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

unicorn
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by unicorn » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:36 pm

First thanks for taking time and make such extensive test..

But something keeps me wondering..
Were the servo saver spring tightened the same with all servos...?

Because with stock servo it is heard that servo is moving but wheels not-if servo cant move it cant be heard moving, the same with 123/.21, .

Also the big part here are the tires/foams because some have more grip some dont..

Dont take me wrong it is yust my observation...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:57 pm

[quote="unicorn";p="881790"]First thanks for taking time and make such extensive test..

Because with stock servo it is heard that servo is moving but wheels not-if servo cant move it cant be heard moving, the same with 123/.21, .

Also the big part here are the tires/foams because some have more grip some dont..

Dont take me wrong it is yust my observation...[/quote]

Great questions!

1. Yes, I adjusted pre-load accordingly based on servo

2. Yep--I ran the vehicles with each servo for a week using different tires on different terrains. What I filmed might not have been with the same tire--a lot of it was 'oh, I need to film this' and whatever tire it had was what it had.
Last edited by I_Like_Nitro on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MonoSavageX
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by MonoSavageX » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:09 am

I would really like to see the 260/.05 servo, the protek 214/.14 and the hitech 7955  on badlands tires. I seen in one of the videos you where thinking of or had bought a set.
Savage X LRP.32 All sorts of upgrades!!!
Savage SS Custom machined TVPs LRP.28
LOSI 5ive-T Upgraded engine/servos
Jato 3.3 Stock

If your not supposed to break them, why do they make new parts?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:14 am

That 260/.05 is the throttle servo on my Savage. *censored* yeah! ;-)

However, I might put it as a steering servo on one of my buggies....but will certainly show that servo in the video. Same with the 100-t and 7955. See my comment above about tires.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MonoSavageX
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by MonoSavageX » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:06 am

[quote="I_Like_Nitro";p="881800"][quote="unicorn";p="881790"]First thanks for taking time and make such extensive test..

Great questions!

2. Yep--I ran the vehicles with each servo for a week using different tires on different terrains. What I filmed might not have been with the same tire--a lot of it was 'oh, I need to film this' and whatever tire it had was what it had.
Jato 3.3 Stock

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:29 pm

[quote="MonoSavageX";p="881804"][quote="I_Like_Nitro";p="881800"][quote="unicorn";p="881790"]First thanks for taking time and make such extensive test..

Great questions!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MonoSavageX
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by MonoSavageX » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:27 pm

ok I understand what your saying and that makes sense.
Jato 3.3 Stock

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:01 pm

Cool.

So to recap, using stock tires (I mainly run truggy tires so only have a few sets of MT tires) I'll show the following servos; stationary, running on the same surface (dirt) going around the same corners with the same setup. The only difference will be the servo pre-load where needed.  Additionally, I do have bearings instead of bushings and an HD servo saver spring.
1. HiTec 7955
2. ProTek 150s (that's the one 260/.05)
3. ProTek 100-T
4. Stock (SF-20)

For the rest of them I'll post up what I noticed (and Chris I'll denote the make of each one, for sure). The 150s is a high voltage servo so will show it at 6v (211/.06) and at 7.4 (260/.05). One thing, I'm a believer in high-voltage servos now. I wasn't sure if there would really be a difference running them greater than 6v....but I there sure is a difference. Wow.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MonoSavageX
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by MonoSavageX » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:11 pm

yea I was also wondering that myself, running the servo at a higher voltage (if it can be) and if it would be that noticeable in performance.

cause I have 2 6v 1600mah I switch between.

glad you decided to add that in as well.
Jato 3.3 Stock

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MonoSavageX
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by MonoSavageX » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:44 pm

I just came across a site that I find to be VERY interesting and thought might apply a bit to this thread

So here it is: Servo Database

Not sure if it has everything but boy it sure has a lot of info!  :P
Jato 3.3 Stock

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

unicorn
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by unicorn » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:42 pm

I hear you what you want to say, but if the servo cant turn wheels only what you will hear is buzz or silence...On video it is heard that servo moved but wheels not so the servo saver gave up..It is hard to do that test if servo saver is interfering...I think for testing purposes servo saver should be eliminated(tightened all the way down) at least for stand still tests(of course if servo cant move stop it because it could be burned out if forced for too long), because driving with servo saver disabled is not a good idea...

For stand still test i would suggest
-tightened servo saver
-same tires on same ground(ideal the ones with the most grip on that surface)
Of course stock servo is weak at the end of the day, with tightened servo saver it would probably just stall(the same applies to servos with similar specifications)...Also there is gonna be point from which stronger servos wont make difference so buying servo stronger than this point doesnt add much to te table only cost more(i guess you are after this point)..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:06 am

[quote="unicorn";p="881979"]I hear you what you want to say, but if the servo cant turn wheels only what you will hear is buzz or silence...On video it is heard that servo moved but wheels not so the servo saver gave up..It is hard to do that test if servo saver is interfering
[/quote]
Lol. Understood, and this is why I was explicit in stating the test in 'unscientific'. Instead, it's based on what I experienced. So the 'stand still test' is merely to hopefully augment what I found to be true, and I would say in the end it was consistent. Thus the testing was not to analyze whether a servo can turn wheels at a stationary position, but instead what noticeable difference were there when compared against each other. It's obviously difficult to show servo differences at high speed but I can say that the scale results were similar whether stationary or running. Meaning that if you were to rank the servos, the rankings hold true regardless of tires, pre-load, foams, movement, etc. As I noted, the ONLY difference I found that actually made a servo perform better than another is vehicle.

[quote="unicorn";p="881979"]
...I think for testing purposes servo saver should be eliminated(tightened all the way down) at least for stand still tests.
[/quote]
I fail to see why. Now, I understand a servo saver's intent, etc, etc. and as noted I adjusted accordingly based on servo. I'd say elimanting iit would defeat 'real world' analysis, and will go as far as saying a lot of folks would not know to adjust at all...so if anything the test would be more realistic leaving it at stock.

[quote="unicorn";p="881979"]
For stand still test i would suggest
-tightened servo saver
-same tires on same ground(ideal the ones with the most grip on that surface)
Of course stock servo is weak at the end of the day, with tightened servo saver it would probably just stall(the same applies to servos with similar specifications)...Also there is gonna be point from which stronger servos wont make difference so buying servo stronger than this point doesnt add much to te table only cost more(i guess you are after this point)..[/quote]

I appreciate the feedback, but I think I'll stick with what I did. As noted the test was very simple. At what points are tangible differences noticed? I realize there are going to be those that want to debate it and such, but I have no interest in engaging in that. I figure I will show the results and folks can either criticize what I did (and I would encourage them to show me how to do it right instead of tell me). Additionally, a you alluded, there are indeed terminal specs (meaning that you will no longer notice the difference) and I believe I reached that as well, which was very surprising to me.

With that, the steering servo I elected to go with on my Savage.....7955. I would have NEVER guessed it going in, but as always, I call it like I see it. ;-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:24 pm

And here I a quick clip of the one I noted regarding your serpent. This is the standard voltage setting. With a high voltage battery it's the craziest thing over ever seen. I've never seen a car turn so fast. And the torque is 260 so

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MonoSavageX
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by MonoSavageX » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:28 pm

[quote="I_Like_Nitro";p="881994"]And here I a quick clip of the one I noted regarding your serpent. This is the standard voltage setting. With a high voltage battery it's the craziest thing over ever seen. I've never seen a car turn so fast. And the torque is 260 so
Jato 3.3 Stock

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ASBURY
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by ASBURY » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:53 pm

That is the protek 130s or 130ss nitro?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

scrogg
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by scrogg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:29 am

Switch to a 2s lilo receiver pack with an adjustable regulator set at 6.5V .... That makes a world of difference... plus you can run the truck for days without charging the Rx pack. Nimh and Nicds  are just plain obsolete IMO. This a great thread with great info. I just wanted to add some things that shocked me with servo performance.. A little extra voltage is better than not enough and most 6.0V Rx packs are not up to powering today's servos. Radio systems with high speed rates kick it up another notch. H.R.  digital radios make every digital servo perform to its full potential. Lipo plus hr radio adds another 40% to most servo's performance. I never ran into servo failures doing so nor did my race buds. Before you buy another expensive servo, upgrade your battery and or radio.
Old nitro junkie with a Flux xs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MShark
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by MShark » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:21 am

Scrogg, does this 2s lipo reciever pack you speak of just drop right in like a regular 5-cell hump pack without any alterations? I like the sound of having a little more power than needed since my current receiver pack doesn't hold that much power with the new high speed Hitec servo I put in which can accept 7.0v.

On a full charge I could only get on average a little over 30 minutes of total run time and was thinking of buying another hump pack for back up.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links