General Savage Discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

MKB-Psycho
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Problems Starting Savage XL

Post by MKB-Psycho » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:27 am

Hi All

Getting a bit frustrated with this now so here goes...

Am still in the 'running in' stage of setting up my savage - it's had 1 tank of fuel through it and i'm on the 2nd tank now,   filled up the tank and got it going fine and left it to sit there and run through the 2nd tank of fuel, unfortunately i hadn't secured the truck well and it managed to move off the stand it was on and landed upside down :(

Thankfully doesn't look like anything damaged as was probably 1ft drop if that, however, it now is being a PITA to start - I originally had the same issue when trying to run the 1st tank through....

What it does, is turn over fine and when you initially engage the rotostart you get the normal 'pop' as if the engine were running, then it changes tone and won't fire,  stop the roto, wait a few secs, start again - same thing - pop's then doesnt fire.

I've removed the exhaust, glow plug and span the engine over to ensure it wasn't flooded (it was in both the first time and this time), checked to make sure fuel can get through by blowing down the return pipe and disconnecting the fuel pipe to the engine.

Having re-assembled it all, still does the same (when i first had the problem, doing this fixed it - this time doesn't seem to) - i've also changed the plug over as well just in case, still the same.

Anyone have any suggestions - i'm going to go back at it later today once the batteries for the roto & car have charged up again....

One thing i have seen online somewhere is a reference to the stone filter in the tank becoming dislogged and not allowing enough fuel - would this be the case or not?

Any help very gratefully rec'd!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Caretaker
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Caretaker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:03 am

Try a new glowplug.
\m/ (-_-) \m/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MKB-Psycho
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by MKB-Psycho » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:34 am

Have done that, for 2 new plugs - same thing....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nikolios87
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by nikolios87 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:53 am

i had the same issue when i was breaking in my F4.6 engine..you can try a hotter plug or you can trim the throttle so you can have higher rpms..or the more dangerous road is to lean the LSN (not recommened!)..from factory my truck was too rich and couldnt start!so whenever i was pinching the fuel line..it was starting just great! try to pinch your fuel line while you are trying to start it..and if starts after few secs..then thats your problem..you are on the rich side!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MShark
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by MShark » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:21 pm

Make Sure your throttle linkage is set right. Then make sure your idle gap is set right. Once you are certain you have those corrected, try to lean out your LSN a little bit since the engine comes rich from the factory. It would help to get a hot plug to make starting a bit less tedious.
Looking for well modded truggy/buggy, PM me! Also maybe Savage X/XL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

scrogg
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by scrogg » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:55 am

Make sure you prime the engine before you hook up the glow ignitor. Put your finger over the exhaust pipe outlet, hit the button on the rotostart and watch the fuel go through the fuel lines and stop when you see fuel enter the HSN housing inlet. Then attach your ignitor and fire it up. Lean the LSN a little. Most important thing you should be doing first.. Preheat that engine, a hair dryer will do. Your engine will thank you for it.
Old nitro junkie with a Flux xs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MKB-Psycho
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by MKB-Psycho » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:49 am

hi guys

thanks for the hints, will try adjusting the LSN a bit later in teh week as managed to get it fired up again yesterday, and interestingly i do think it's a combination of fueling into the engine, plus the car had been, at the point it started, sat in the sun for a while so had warmed up i think.

There was still a fair bit of fuel in the engine so think it may have flooded as well last time when trying as took a number of 5sec bursts with teh rotostart with no exhaust & no plug in to stop the fuel coming out (had disconnected fuel line at this point).

Got it all cleared out, re-primed the fuel line and then it fired on the 3rd or 4th attempt, so hopefully will be OK from now on .

Annoyingly went out with a mate and had a bash with the Losi 5ive i've got as well then went to start doing the 1/2 throttle looping to run engine in, and found out the hard way that i had a loose wheel nut....merrily going round in circles and then it dropped to one side and the wheel carried on rolling (was very funny seeing it rolling away down the slight hill where we were!!)

Couldn't find the Nut, "drive pin" that engages the wheel or the spacer, so ordered new ones, just neeed to wait for them to arrive now!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rumpity_z28
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rumpity_z28 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:16 pm

yeah definately lean out your lsn so you can get a nice idle, mine had the exact same problem

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links