Who has dealt with IRC

General Savage Discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Who has dealt with IRC

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:17 pm

As I continue my rebuild there are some IRC products that I find intriguing. I contacted them via their website with some explicit questions. ~three days later I received a respond from a gentleman named Rob. Unfortunately he did not answer any of my questions in his response. ;-(

I'm unsure of their business model. Is this someone making parts out of his garage, or is it a large manufacturing company? Based on what I've researched, IRC seems to better meet the needs of what I'm looking for in these products, but am a little concerned with the slow response time (assuming that is consistent).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andreg
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by andreg » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:57 am

From what I understand IRC is a one man operation and my experience with asking questions concerning products or availability is pretty iffy. I have sent a couple of questions about availability on out of stock items that have never been ansvered. However when I have sent questions about orders I have placed the responses have been very quick.
I think my orders there have been despatched in about 3-4 business days, exept one that took two weeks because a piece of the kit I ordered was out of stock (I had to send an email to get info about this).
The products have great quality though and I imagine I might be ordering some more IRC stuff in the future.

I think you are setting the bar high if you choose Alza Racing as the standard. In my experience Dejan is far above anyone else.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:18 am

[quote="andreg";p="882331"]I think you are setting the bar high if you choose Alza Racing as the standard. In my experience Dejan is far above anyone else.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not setting the bar with Dejan, he's an example. I've worked with a plethora of individuals in this industry, thus my bar has already been set by folks such Mitch Looper (M2C), Neal Smith (CRE), Ron Hopkins (Werks), Dave Maslar (Buku). Rich Grafton (TBR), etc. etc. I've had zero issues working with Dejan, but I can say the other individuals I names (plus a slew more) also provide tremendous customer service. Those guys have it figured out, IMO. This is not to say IRC doesn't.....but I'm not encouraged based on initial dealings. As long as I get a response in a reasonable time then I'm good. Just don't want to wait and wait and wait while I considering other items instead.

With that, how have you liked their products?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SV250
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by SV250 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:53 pm

It's a one man show and he's over seas. His products are top notch, but his cust serv sucks.

Rob seems to disappear for long periods.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/sv250/383%20Jeep/SV-SIG04-02.png[/img]
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v376/sv250/?special_track=nav_tab_album

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:05 pm

Ugh. Thanks for the intel. As long as there are not problems with orders (i.e. place an order on something 'in-stock' only to wait 6 months to receive then I'll work through it).

There really seems to be a market demand (or at least a need) for the Savage lineup. If there are any budding machinists out there (or you guys know of one) interested in a start-up, I'd love to talk about a partnership. I think Savage-specific parts, two verticals: durability and performance. I have like 15-20 parts in mind. Top quality, innovative approach, customer service through the roof, etc. Word of mouth is SO big in this industry, those who can create raving fans set themselves apart. Anyway, appreciate the feedback. I've not looked at FLM in detail yet, but might need to just in case.

One final question, when his website states: Product on order (ETA: 7 Days)...I assume this means he anticipates to have them available in 7 days, or once you order they are made in 7 days, or....? Basically there is a part I want....I just don't know if I should wait or not.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

unicorn
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by unicorn » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:11 am

ETA:7 days it means he is expecting to have them available in 7days-but sometimes it could be longer-i think delays are because he is outsorcing anodizing to another company(like most rc manufacturers) ...

Me and my friend have dealt with i-rc/ rob quite a few times(mostly baja parts) and no problems..Yes it isnt the best at answering e-mails altough after sale support is ok(i got wrong color in one order and it was solved quickly without problems). I cant say anything bad about parts he make, they are nice and quality...

ALZA racing kinda spoils us with fast response..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:06 am

Well I ended up buying these TVPs from GPM. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 22K1S59075

I'm dead serious. '-) I figure for that price....I'll find SOMETHING to do with them. This until IRC has in stock what I want.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:00 pm

To follow up and be fair, I pinged Rob again and he's been quite responsive now (seems like a pretty good dude, too). Hopefully I can do business with him.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

scrogg
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by scrogg » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:58 pm

He makes excellent products and if there is a problem, he will handle it. I speak from experience. I ordered a set of extended lcg tvp's and it came with a the wrong skidplate. One photo in an email and he shipped me the correct skidplate and let me keep the other part for free. Top notch guy imo.
Old nitro junkie with a Flux xs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:23 pm

I have ordered two sets of LST shock mounting kits. Response time was very slow and it took a while to get the shipments but I would order from them again. Their products are high quality and worth it.
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:05 am

[quote="scrogg";p="882397"]He makes excellent products and if there is a problem, he will handle it. I speak from experience. I ordered a set of extended lcg tvp's and it came with a the wrong skidplate. One photo in an email and he shipped me the correct skidplate and let me keep the other part for free. Top notch guy imo.[/quote]
Okay, this is encouraging to hear. I feel comfortable doing business with him at this point, even if I don't get all my questioned answered (and he'll tell you I've asked a lot). I just want to make my Savage better.

Do you guys think there is a market for a Savage-centric company? Not a direct competitor of IRC and/or FLM, but one that specializes in the top 15-20 solutions to the make the truck more durable and handle better. One thing I respect about the Savage community is they appreciate quality, so I'm continually thinking how well-received an"All Savage all the Time" company would just dominate this market with the right parts.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lizard
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by lizard » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:39 am

Have been buying his stuff since 2006, everything was top notch quality and craftsmanship.

Sometimes Rob doesn't answer questions, but this has only happened about product questions and such. Questions about placed orders have always been answered and shipping was always quick.

FLM sucks in my opinion. Quality/fitment issues, some products are just stupidly designed and it can take weeks until they send stuff.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

gablett
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by gablett » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:02 am

[quote="lizard";p="882418"]Have been buying his stuff since 2006, everything was top notch quality and craftsmanship.

Sometimes Rob doesn't answer questions, but this has only happened about product questions and such. Questions about placed orders have always been answered and shipping was always quick.

FLM sucks in my opinion. Quality/fitment issues, some products are just stupidly designed and it can take weeks until they send stuff.[/quote]

I had completely the oppositte experience with FLM stuff. Mind you, I didnt order from FLM since they dont sell direct, only through resellers. So maybe you had a resale issue. The place I ordered from, they recommended,  had everything in stock and shipped a few hours after I ordered and the parts arrive promptly. You can look at my build thread, but everything went together without any issues, looks great, and seems super strong. Yes their products come with no instructions, my 1 and only complaint. But they are easy enough to find online, and pretty self explanatory anyway.

I did order from IRC as well. 1 small part. No issues, shipped promptly and arrive within his projected time frame from england to usa.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:57 am

I have found a machinist who specializes in CNC and CF that I'm going to work with. It's a mid-size company (the owner is a friend of a friend who knows nothing about RCs). I'm spec'ing out two prototype parts and meeting with them this week to determine costs of prototype. If things go well, I will socialize the prototype parts (after vetting them out) and offer on an ad-hoc basis. I'm not doing this as a 'business' but more to get my pulse on what interest is out there. As noted, Savage guys are always looking to build a better mouse-trap so this is going to be interesting. I'll start a separate post with some questions for you all instead of hijacking my own. Again---this is not to compete against IRC/FLM/Alza, etc. I have a job and not looking to 'make money', simply some alternative parts.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links