my Savage x 4.6

General Savage Discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

GrimReaper
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Re: my Savage x 4.6

Post by GrimReaper » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:58 am

Took advantage of the sunshine today, picked up some paint this morning and got to work on the alloy parts.

primer done

Time for the first coat of a few......btw, I did the handle side rails in matt black, and will polish the chassis plates soon

It turned out okay, but would have preferred a brighter shade to make the springs really pop. Stupid me forgot to read the can first, says to use a base coat of white first for a brighter result. Might redo the springs but we'll see

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Caretaker
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Caretaker » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:23 am

white primer would have given you the effect you wanted.
\m/ (-_-) \m/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GrimReaper
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by GrimReaper » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:54 am

yeah I realise that now, not to worry, I have other parts to paint so might redo shocks, other bits you wont see

my parts from Amain arrived today. From what I've read, I wasn't expecting the ball link in the OFNA kit, but it's there so I'm happy  :D

Just a few more things to get, diff oils etc. and I can start rebuilding......i also picked up an alloy diff case from a mate during the week thumbsup

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:11 am

I see the ball cup but not the stud. Is that what you are referring to?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GrimReaper
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by GrimReaper » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:53 am

yeah both the cup and ball stud are in the kit!

Also, I'm thinking of de annodizing the cooling head of the nitro engine.........but I'm concerned that this will affect the cooling attributes of the head. What do you guys reckon?

The reason I want to do this is purely for looks, as purple won't go with my colour theme

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

messiah1
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by messiah1 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:44 am

taking the anno off the head shouldn't hurt, but you definitely don't want to paint it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GrimReaper
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by GrimReaper » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:57 am

pulled the engine apart last night, everything seems to be in good working order. sealed the back plate and de annoed and polished the head

rebuild starts tonight, diffs, shocks and assembly etc.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Caretaker
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Caretaker » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:48 am

I have deannodied all of my engines.
No problem with cooling at all.

\m/ (-_-) \m/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GrimReaper
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by GrimReaper » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:46 am

I've made a bit more progress over the long weekend, just chipping away here and there and it's all starting to come together again.

I started by putting all the arms and bulkheads together and the rear diff with 7000K oil

Started to put the rear end together

Then it was time to get the shocks done. I'd been speaking to Stu about this and he recommended to make the car lower to the ground for better handling and gave me a few tips on how to do this using some fuel tube and not using the spring spacers

I just made up 8 pieces to the length of the spacer and placed them on the shock shafts to go inside the body.....shortens them by about 10mm and they seem to slot in nicely........I've filled them with 30wt oil to start with..........so will see how they go

Next job was the sway bar kit......I thought this was going to be a straight bolt on but I had issues with alignments and the pieces didn't fit without some modifications. It says that it's compatible with the Savage X which is what I have, so I wasn't sure exactly what to do here.

I didn't want to not use them, so I decided to go for it and start drilling some holes and trimming the bulkheads to get the kit to fit.

The main part at the front which holds the bar in place is supposed to fit under the shock tower mounted with 2 bolts but the bolt holes didn't line up properly so I had to drill 2 holes in the bulkhead to suit.
I just hope it works

Next was the upper arm rod holders and these didn't line up either........I had to drill an extra hole for them to fit and I managed to get them on within a bee's dick of the edge of the holder so was a bit lucky here..........In doing so I lose the bumper support brackets but I may be able to fab something up to strengthen it

So the read end is done. I also polished the TVP's so they're ready to go for assembly. Now to work on the front end when time permits and get the car all back together

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GrimReaper
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by GrimReaper » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:09 am

well it turns out that this car is in fact a Savage SS 4.6 - not an X-  hence why I've had a few issues fitting the swar bar kit

Anyway, it's on the home stretch now, almost finished. Just need to fit the swar bar at the front, add the donk and tank, then work on setting up the throttle linkage and I'm all set

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GrimReaper
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by GrimReaper » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:41 pm

I thought about painting the TVP's black with a green X running through the middle but opted to keep them shiny chrome, as I think this breaks up the colour a bit.

Well i finally finished last night, expect for the throttle linkage, but it's done thank god lol.

Front sway bar took a bit of dremel work but got there eventually

Skid plate, donk, tank, fuel lines done and re glued couple of the tyres in a few spots

was keen to see how the body looked and I love it

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MonoSavageX
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by MonoSavageX » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:06 pm

Very nice! I really like the neon green look with the black and silver. Excellent job!
Savage X LRP.32 All sorts of upgrades!!!
Savage SS Custom machined TVPs LRP.28
LOSI 5ive-T Upgraded engine/servos
Jato 3.3 Stock

If your not supposed to break them, why do they make new parts?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GrimReaper
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by GrimReaper » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:30 am

Yeah I'm stoked at the transformation from when I first got it. Exactly how I wanted it to look.

I managed to strengthen the front and rear bumpers and I've now fitted up my OFNA throttle linkage, so it's good to go.....and was hoping to fire it up tomorrow on my day off..........or so I thought  :oops:

Something is wrong and the car seems to be binding or very tight somewhere in the drivetrain.......because when I try to roll the car by hand, its very very tight and takes a fair bit of force to roll forwards *dontknow*

It's got me stumped as to what it is.........I put the car back together following the manual...the only thing I did different was shim out the large spider gears inside the front and rear diffs because their was heaps of play.

I've checked the brake discs and pads and they are loose. I took one rear tyre off, then with a pair of pliers held the wheel hub and tried rotating the other rear wheel by hand and it's very tight *headbang*

Looks like I'll have to rip the diffs out again and un shim them, then re check...........farking annoying!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:44 pm

I love it man! Some green or black wheels would set that off! However, the chrome warlocks/bonz combo still looks pretty darn sweet! You definitely know what's up. Your build makes me want to build a new savage using neon green accents
[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/subyboo/Savage/SC_zpse28103b3.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GrimReaper
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by GrimReaper » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:44 am

Haha thanks man, your cousin's one looks good too

Okay, so I'm having issues with my OFNA throttle linkage, servo horn doesn't travel with the servo when I apply brakes, and opens up the carby instead, when I pull throttle it doesn't centre properly, any ideas how to fix or what the issue is, a stripped horn maybe?

first vid shows horn with no linkage attached
https://youtu.be/0Q6XrSpA4_g

2nd vid is with linkage attached
https://youtu.be/8qdXMn4Zuls

3rd is drivetrain issues, seems too tight when I roll on ground, but not sure?
https://youtu.be/p0GPsKuSwMU

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MShark
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by MShark » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:46 am

Try another servo horn just to rule out a stripped horn. Could be the servo itself not being able to handle any load. Also what battery source are you using?
Looking for well modded truggy/buggy, PM me! Also maybe Savage X/XL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GrimReaper
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by GrimReaper » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:51 am

yeah that's what I'll try first. Pretty sure the servo isn't an issue it's a Hitec ultra torque so it's pretty good, but could try another maybe. I'm just using a 1500 nimh hump pack......it's at full charge

what do you think about Video 3?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MShark
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by MShark » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:03 am

Regarding video 3, I couldn't say. Something's binding somewhere. If it were up to me, I would check re-check both diffs and make sure there isn't any binding. You might have shimmed them improperly.

Was the truck rolling fine before you cracked open the diffs?
Looking for well modded truggy/buggy, PM me! Also maybe Savage X/XL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GrimReaper
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by GrimReaper » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:55 am

yes it was. I shimmed the larger spider gears only as there was movement in the axles

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

messiah1
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by messiah1 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:51 am

Is it the proper spline servo horn?

Link:
BBcode: