New OS .30vg in Savage XL! Awesome!..BUT..

General Savage Discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

SharkShooter
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

New OS .30vg in Savage XL! Awesome!..BUT..

Post by SharkShooter » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:18 pm

Just put an OS .30 vg max in my savage xl. Was messing around doing some tuning today and now when the truck hits second gear (maybe third) it bogs down.

I watched an HPI video today on their transmission tuning which stated to "lock out" third gear while tuning gears one and two. I didn't even know this truck had three forward gears! I figured when my buddy (who I originally bought the truck from) told me it had three gears that is was two forward one reverse.

Not sure if maybe there is a teams issue either?? Maybe clutch shoes? What upgrades can I do to strengthen and beef up the trans for the added power from the OS .30?

Thanks

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:50 am

How to beef up 3 speed.
That thread is a sticky in the tech tips.
As far as the bogging, a little more info is needed. An engine can be either rich or lean when it bogs. A short vid of it running would make it easier to help you on that issue.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:55 am

Another 3 speed not functioning correctly.....  these things are terrible and should be avoided...2 speed works awesome, 3 speed barely works !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SharkShooter
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by SharkShooter » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:30 am

[quote="Squid";p="887108"]How to beef up 3 speed.
That thread is a sticky in the tech tips.
As far as the bogging, a little more info is needed. An engine can be either rich or lean when it bogs. A short vid of it running would make it easier to help you on that issue.[/quote]

Gotcha, I'll try to take a quick video. It seemed to be working ok for a short while until I started tuning the OS .30. Got it to run what I seemed to be decent with temps around 200 degrees. It kind of happened rather suddenly. I've been into RC for about 10 years now and actually had the original savage so "nitro issues" are not a surprise to me. However, never experienced anything with a three speed trans. I'll take a quick vid, then I'm thinking I should completely lock out third and tune for first and second and THEN add third. When I was originally tuning I was adjusting as if t were only a two speed; meaning I was adjusting the far right trans screw (I think). I'll report back asap with video. Thanks guys

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SharkShooter
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by SharkShooter » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:17 pm

here's the video

[video width=400 height=350]http://vid800.photobucket.com/albums/yy ... hsk73l.mp4[/video]

let me know if you can view it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SharkShooter
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by SharkShooter » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:21 pm

when you hear it bogging down my finger still had the throttle wide open.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Caretaker
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Caretaker » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:49 pm

I don't think this has anything to do with the 3speed.

Engine isn't tuned correctly.    How many needles does it have?
\m/ (-_-) \m/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:26 pm

Sounds really lean, if you are still close to factory settings on the needles, look for an air leak. Around carb neck, needles, engine back plate, and even a small hole in the fuel line. If you have leaned it out, return it to factory settings and tune with smaller increments on the needles.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SharkShooter
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by SharkShooter » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:42 pm

ok so correct me if I'm wrong but this looks like a two speed:
[img][img]http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy28 ... o2vvwn.jpg[/img][/img]

The motor has three needles: HSN, LSN, idle adjustment.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SharkShooter
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by SharkShooter » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:43 pm

[quote="Squid";p="887116"]Sounds really lean, if you are still close to factory settings on the needles, look for an air leak. Around carb neck, needles, engine back plate, and even a small hole in the fuel line. If you have leaned it out, return it to factory settings and tune with smaller increments on the needles.[/quote]

will give this a try

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SharkShooter
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by SharkShooter » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:00 pm

looks like my HSN assembly had come a little lose. After I tightened it back up everything seemed ok (minus my stripped spur). I think I'm going to replace with a Robinson Racing hardened 16T. Can anyone confirm my thoughts on this being a two speed and not a three trans?

thank for the help everyone

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:27 am

[quote="SharkShooter";p="887120"]ok so correct me if I'm wrong but this looks like a two speed:

The motor has three needles: HSN, LSN, idle adjustment.[/quote]

Looks like a 3 speed, it is it is a 3 speed

The 2 metal gears are 2nd and 3rd, the plastic gear to the left of them is 1st gear.

I have a way to help tune a 3 speed. I just got a new one recently and had to deal with the thing acting like a 2speed.

Dial 3rd all the way in and then adjust 2nd starting from 2 turns back from all the way in. When you get the 1 - 2 adjusted so its not too early but not too late, dial back 3rd gear SLOWLY a 1/4 turn at a time through the quick access panel until you get all 3 gears hitting.

Sorry took so long to help, I would of though the local gurus would help but the 2 here don't agree. One will basically just say its easy to tune offering little actual assistance, the other will just push a 2 speed on you lol, so the neighborhood blacksheep has to come in and help, but if I offer help the gurus might just come in to lend a hand lmfao

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SharkShooter
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by SharkShooter » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:21 am

[quote="SiNiST3R";p="887176"][quote="SharkShooter";p="887120"]ok so correct me if I'm wrong but this looks like a two speed:

The motor has three needles: HSN, LSN, idle adjustment.[/quote]

Looks like a 3 speed, it is it is a 3 speed

The 2 metal gears are 2nd and 3rd, the plastic gear to the left of them is 1st gear.

I have a way to help tune a 3 speed. I just got a new one recently and had to deal with the thing acting like a 2speed.

Dial 3rd all the way in and then adjust 2nd starting from 2 turns back from all the way in. When you get the 1 - 2 adjusted so its not too early but not too late, dial back 3rd gear SLOWLY a 1/4 turn at a time through the quick access panel until you get all 3 gears hitting.

Sorry took so long to help, I would of though the local gurus would help but the 2 here don't agree. One will basically just say its easy to tune offering little actual assistance, the other will just push a 2 speed on you lol, so the neighborhood blacksheep has to come in and help, but if I offer help the gurus might just come in to lend a hand lmfao[/quote]

Gotcha, I'm just a little confused be in the HPI video I saw for the three speed they had two adjust,met screws: the one in the middle hole (second) and one in the third hole (third gear). When I look at mine I see two adjustment screws on the same gear accessed through the third hole as pictured above. One screw is angled the other straight. If this is still a three speed which is which?

Thank you!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:09 pm

Dunno what video you saw but the 3 speed can only adjust 3rd gear from the access panel. To adjust 2bd you need to open the top of the box, remove the gear cluster and pull off the 3rd gear clutch and third gear spur to access the 2nd gear clutch.

Hope it helps, while adjusting 2nd may seem crazy, it takes only a few min to do and can be done with the truck idling patiently.

One of the 2 grubs is the adjuster the other is what's holding the clutch on the shaft. The top one do not touch, the bottom one is the shift point adjuster.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SharkShooter
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by SharkShooter » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:54 pm

[quote="SiNiST3R";p="887180"]Dunno what video you saw but the 3 speed can only adjust 3rd gear from the access panel. To adjust 2bd you need to open the top of the box, remove the gear cluster and pull off the 3rd gear clutch and third gear spur to access the 2nd gear clutch.

Hope it helps, while adjusting 2nd may seem crazy, it takes only a few min to do and can be done with the truck idling patiently.

One of the 2 grubs is the adjuster the other is what's holding the clutch on the shaft. The top one do not touch, the bottom one is the shift point adjuster.[/quote]

i guess the video I watched was a newer vid from HPI on the octane and its 3 speed set up:
[video width=400 height=350]https://youtu.be/TaCIzDoURFY[/video]

but thank you for the info..very helpful! I will mess with this as soon as I get the new clutchbell/pinion in..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:57 pm

There are 2 screws on each gear, one holds the gear to the shaft, the other is the adjustment screw. If you look up the manual for any savage on HPI's site it tells which is which same for both 2 and 3 speed, I don't remember off the top of my head. I do think it's the angled one to adjust though, but better check.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SharkShooter
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by SharkShooter » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:31 pm

[quote="Squid";p="887183"]There are 2 screws on each gear, one holds the gear to the shaft, the other is the adjustment screw. If you look up the manual for any savage on HPI's site it tells which is which same for both 2 and 3 speed, I don't remember off the top of my head. I do think it's the angled one to adjust though, but better check.[/quote]

Ok will do. But back to my original point..when I look through the access ports (as pictured above) I only see/have access to the grub screws on the one gear (far right). The other member was saying this was third gear and to access second gear grub I have to remove the top of trams case and remove third gear completely to adjust. This doesn't seem very efficient...a little confused here.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:07 pm

It's a bit of a chore and they redid the 3 speed for the Octain where both shifts can be adjusted. The 3 speed for the XL though unfortunately takes opening up and partial disassembly to adjust 1 - 2 shift.

When looking in the box access port the top grub is the lock grub seccuring the clutch to the shaft, the bottom grub with a lil slant is the shift point adjuster.

The 1 - 2 shift clutch its the same top and bottom except instead of a slant for the shift grub, its got a step down, you will see what I mean.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JmaesV
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by JmaesV » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:24 am

Here's a video on how to adjust the 2 and 3 speed gears on a Savage XL.
It's quite easy to do after the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dx9hnWOQjs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links