Did you have to tune your Savage from stock?

General Savage Discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

GCLaredo207
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Did you have to tune your Savage from stock?

Post by GCLaredo207 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:24 pm

HeyO!

I have been reading about how a lot of folks haven't had to tune their Savage from stock to get it to run and change gears. This does not make any sense to me. I almost want to call them out. I had to adjust my HSN just to keep the thing running. I'm sure all engines are broken in differently and all, but geesh.. No adjustments at all? Hard to believe.

My question to you all: Did you have to adjust your needles from stock? If so, which ones and how many times?

ME: HSN maybe a turn. Didn't touch the LSN. My aim isn't to go full speed up and down a road. That's boring. I like to run a bit on the rich side to keep it cool. I love dirt, rocks, jumps, etc. Once in a while I'll open it up, but that's not important to me. I bought a truck and not a race car. :)

Thanks for reading.

Avo

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:57 pm

The engine supposedly comes at "break in settings", after break in it usually needs to be tuned.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GCLaredo207
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by GCLaredo207 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:22 am

[quote="Squid";p="887707"]The engine supposedly comes at "break in settings", after break in it usually needs to be tuned.[/quote]

I know this. This is why I created this post. Some claim they haven't had to touch the needles. They claim their Savage runs perfect and does wheelies right from stock. Hard to believe. I'll post the video I watched once I find the link again.

My question to all of you is - Did you have to tune your engine? If so, how? What needle adjustments did you have to make? Just curious as to how you all run your Savages.

Avo

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:05 am

Brand new 2011 X4.6 with the F4.6 came ready to go. It was not fat like the usual factory break in tune and not lean like a proper tune. Sorta right in the middle. Could grab both gears easy and stayed on no stalls. To tune it was just a few 1/4 turns on the HSN maybe 2 IIRC. Keep in mind Im just above sea level.

Usually factory settings are pig rich and just to do the break in without stalling takes some leaning the HSN but not the F4.6 pretty stout engine for a stock mill. Decent in an XX

Don't forget altitude, temperature and humidity levels will vary your needle settings, just cuz X amount of turns on a needle tunes the engine for somebody doesn't mean it's gonna be good for you.

What you do is run YOUR truck and tune it as needed, forget about what the next guy did, it doesn't matter.
[url=http://s27.photobucket.com/user/Rac3rXGT4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/signature%20new%20shrunk.jpg.html][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/Rac3rXGT4/Mobile%20Uploads/signature%20new%20shrunk.jpg[/img][/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

realsickclown
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by realsickclown » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:23 am

I check the weather of the day im going to be running my savage and That will give me a idea of how my rig will perform. But usually the savage with the F4.6 and a ERCM pipe my motor hardly needs much adjustment, nothing more than  1/4 turn in either direction it seems real stable and predictable on how shes going to run, for the most part . Tuning is part of a good day out bashing around,couple small adjustments at first and you should be able to run all day long as long as the weather is stable.
Move or I'll run over you.

Savage XL nirto on 25TVP's
Traxxas Rustler 3.3 nitro
Intech ERSC-10,full mods
Traxxas Slash 4x4 highly modified
Axial SCX10 73' Bronco full mods,Holmes Hobbies
Axial SCX10 Comanche
VXL MERV

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links