Can't get savage 4.6 started need help please video

General Savage Discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

mojs
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Can't get savage 4.6 started need help please video

Post by mojs » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:27 am

Carb settings have been set back to stock. When I cover exhaust and crank engine doesn't feel like much compression. I see fuel being sucked from tank to carb but piston seems dry when I remove glow plug.

I crank engine without plug and I get no fuel spray when covering with hand.

New glow plug tested and test okay

I can easily crank engine by hand with one way bearing seems like not much compression

Only 4 tanks of fuel ran through since new.

Willing to send person 25 dollars by PayPal if their post is one that helps me get truck started. I want to run truck for a little guy I'm watching for the week

https://youtu.be/t67bEWbQp_g

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:02 am

Sounds like there may be a blockage somewhere in the carb or needles. Maybe disassemble the HSN to see why fuel is flowing to carb but not inside the engine.
Also I am not very familiar with the current setup on the starting shaft but I would look there as well and see if the engine is actually turning over. If all that doesn't work I would try a new glow plug. Sometimes they look good but aren't. When you are breaking In with rich settings it is very hard on glow plugs.
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:16 am

After watching your video I would say your glow plug igniter isn't fully charged or your one way bearing is slipping. That sounds and looks like the engine isn't turning over. If your engine has a one way bearing it sounds like it's slipping.
I doubt whoever figures out how to get you started will want the $25. We have all been there especially me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mojs
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by mojs » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:43 am

[quote="badboy";p="888065"]After watching your video I would say your glow plug igniter isn't fully charged or your one way bearing is slipping. That sounds and looks like the engine isn't turning over. If your engine has a one way bearing it sounds like it's slipping.
I doubt whoever figures out how to get you started will want the $25. We have all been there especially me.[/quote]

I appreciate the advice. I've tried to get it going for some time now and a little frustration is kicking in. When I pulled off the roto start to expose the one way bearing I can turn the engine over by hand with ease. I see the piston moving in the cylinder. When you say engine isn't turning over do you mean it's not cranking fast enough or the crank isn't spinning

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:17 am

I meant was the piston moving up and down. Some of the savage engines have one way bearings that begin to slip with to much oil content in your fuel.
Is your igniter fully charged?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:09 am

First thing is do not start it not in the truck, or more precisely without a load on the motor. There is a very good chance that you could over rev the engine and damage it.

Badboy has given you some good advise, Make sure all batteries are charged (Glow Driver and RotoStart). It sounds as if the engine isn't turning as fast as it should to start, but sound in a vid can be a bit deceiving.

If after charging the batts, it still won't start due to you saying that it doesn't seem that fuel is getting to the carb, I would take the line off the exhaust, hold the carb open and blow into the exhaust line. You should be able to see fuel flow into the carb neck while blowing on the line. You can do this first, since the tank and engine are out of the chassis, it will make it easier to look down the carb while blowing into the exhaust line. You should be able to see a small stream of fuel coming out the hle the LSN slides into.  If you don't see any fuel flowing it's time to take the HSN off the carb and repeat the process.

When you verify there is fuel getting to the engine and it will still not start and all of your batteries are charged, change the glow plug.

The next step is replace the oneway bearing on the back of the engine. Even if it seems all good because you can watch the piston going up and down with the glow plug out, it may be bad. With the plug in, the compression of the engine can cause the oneway to slip.You may be able to test the current oneway by pulling it out and spraying it with motor spray and reinstalling it and giving another try to starting the engine. Sometimes a small amount of oil will get onto the oneway and make it slip, but once it starts slipping it is only a matter of time before you will need a new one.

And lastly remember do not start the engine out of the truck with the gear mesh set properly.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mojs
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by mojs » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:47 pm

[quote="badboy";p="888068"]I meant was the piston moving up and down. Some of the savage engines have one way bearings that begin to slip with to much oil content in your fuel.
Is your igniter fully charged?[/quote]

Igniter fully charged new glow plug as well. Fuel is a year old if that could make a difference

Piston does move and not all the way to the top of sleeve which is good

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mojs
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by mojs » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:52 pm

[quote="Squid";p="888069"]First thing is do not start it not in the truck, or more precisely without a load on the motor. There is a very good chance that you could over rev the engine and damage it.

Badboy has given you some good advise, Make sure all batteries are charged (Glow Driver and RotoStart). It sounds as if the engine isn't turning as fast as it should to start, but sound in a vid can be a bit deceiving.

If after charging the batts, it still won't start due to you saying that it doesn't seem that fuel is getting to the carb, I would take the line off the exhaust, hold the carb open and blow into the exhaust line. You should be able to see fuel flow into the carb neck while blowing on the line. You can do this first, since the tank and engine are out of the chassis, it will make it easier to look down the carb while blowing into the exhaust line. You should be able to see a small stream of fuel coming out the hle the LSN slides into.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:33 pm

Old fuel could be the cause.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mojs
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by mojs » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:41 am

Took one way bearing from buddies working f4.6 still won't start. Used his glow starter and plug too. I'm at a loss

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

StriperSniper
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by StriperSniper » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:30 pm

Try dropping a few drops of fuel in carb with throttle wide open then close throttle or hold 1/4 throttle and see if it will fire off

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NITRO_SAVAGE
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by NITRO_SAVAGE » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:32 pm

First things first money shouldn't be offered for any help here , as we all know this is a free info Forum.(WELL THATS THE WAY I C IT ,HOPE I DIDNT OFFEND ANYBODY)

Before this prob occur when was the last time you start that engine ?
Also did you leave any gas in the carb ?
I am guessing gas in the carb wasn't completely burnt out now you have a blockage because of gummed up gas in carb.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:59 pm

I restarted my 4.6 after 7 years, and got an additional 4 gallons out of it. I would get new fuel and would take the carb off and soak it in carby cleaner for 30 min. Then stick it back on the truck and connect your fuel lines. Then take the glow plug out and put some fuel (5-10mls) into the cylinder head, let it sit for a minute then stick the plug back in and turn the engine over.

If it starts (which it should if there is enough compression), keep your controller on and pump the gas and see if you are getting any response from the carb. If you are, then hold on the gas so your just above idle and let the engine run up to operating temp. Then take it for a blast, set your idle etc.

Another thought I had is that your fuel lines may be too long or have a hole / leak. i would change the lines and finally even tho you said the carb settings were back to standard. Re-check the needles, especially the idle.

And definitely NO CASH for comments or assistance will be accepted. Pay us with a video of your rig!  :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:02 pm

Putting fuel directly into the head will allow you to confirm compression and all mechanical engine components are good, then by process of elimination it would have to be carb, settings, lines, fuel or plug.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mojs
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by mojs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:45 pm

[quote="Mendoza";p="888091"]I restarted my 4.6 after 7 years, and got an additional 4 gallons out of it. I would get new fuel and would take the carb off and soak it in carby cleaner for 30 min. Then stick it back on the truck and connect your fuel lines. Then take the glow plug out and put some fuel (5-10mls) into the cylinder head, let it sit for a minute then stick the plug back in and turn the engine over.

If it starts (which it should if there is enough compression), keep your controller on and pump the gas and see if you are getting any response from the carb. If you are, then hold on the gas so your just above idle and let the engine run up to operating temp. Then take it for a blast, set your idle etc.

Another thought I had is that your fuel lines may be too long or have a hole / leak. i would change the lines and finally even tho you said the carb settings were back to standard. Re-check the needles, especially the idle.

And definitely NO CASH for comments or assistance will be accepted. Pay us with a video of your rig!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:21 pm

Glad to hear it. It's a good feeling to get your rig started after a hard to find problem. Looking forward to the video.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NITRO_SAVAGE
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by NITRO_SAVAGE » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:00 pm

[quote="badboy";p="888105"]Glad to hear it. It's a good feeling to get your rig started after a hard to find problem. Looking forward to the video.[/quote]

I agree with bad boy.????
http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/sunil_sunil_r/media/9349dce9-bab7-48b6-9560-150abc47175f_zps14d6392f.jpg.html?o=1

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links