Suspected air leak

General Savage Discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Suspected air leak

Post by badboy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:50 pm

Last weekend my son and I Wanted to drive the savage a little bit. We started it up tuned it in the driveway but we couldn't get a really good tune on it like we normally do. The problem was if we tuned for a low idle it would stall. Currently my idle gap is right at .5 mm and everything should be fine as far as that goes.
So I just leaned the low-speed needle a little bit so that we could get going. That's when things really went downhill no matter what I did to the needles the engine would just spike lean very lean both on and off throttle. The high-speed needle was set slightly Rich. Sometimes if you bumped The throttle it would return to normal briefly but would immediately spike up to lean again. We did this over and over we would get a high enough Idle so that it wouldn't stall while also being rich on the high-speed needle. To me this sounded like I had an air leak somewhere however today I tested both the fuel tank and the engine and I cannot find an air leak anywhere. Can anyone think of anything else I can look for that would cause such condition?
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:04 pm

Old fuel? Nitro fuel is mostly Methyl alcohol, it attracts moisture. Not 100% sure of this, but it is a possibility, especially since you're in FLA, *censored* muggy there.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:47 pm

I am at the end of a gallon. That's a possibility I will check out. Thanks Squid.
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:33 am

Air leaks do not exist !

sounds to me like your linkage is hanging up and not allowing the engine to go back to proper idle position...the stock HPI linkage is rubbish and very prone to hanging the throttle ............OFNA throttle mod is mandatory ion these trucks if you want a good tune...

Also when setting idle gap make sure the carb insert is out...also be sure your running the biggest insert....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links