8 Ball Ends and 4 Ti-Rods???

General Savage Discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Billbow
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

8 Ball Ends and 4 Ti-Rods???

Post by Billbow » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:56 pm

Stupid Newbie question. I bought some stuff @ the LHS. Now, they know I'm new and have been a great help. My situation is this. I asked for Ball Ends on my first visit because I wanted to have the ability to change Toe. I tried to turn the originals but they seemed solid and not threaded. So I buy 4 titanuim turnbuckles. Great. I get them home try to put together and they only thread on one end. so the package deal is 4 Ball ends per pkg. and 2 Ti-Rods per pkg. Times 2 to accomodate both front and rear. Now if they now in a package that you need 4 balls for front and 2 turnbuckles for front you'd think they would match. But noooooooo. I have to get 4 with one thread and 4 with reverse thread. That's like buying a diff case and getting 2 left sides in one pkg. and 2 right ones in another. What if you just want or need to change one diff case? The math leaves 2 each left over as backups. Luckily I didn't open all packages and they did and exchange. But to me this is like buying hot dogs and rolls. They give you 8 hot dogs per pkg and 10 rolls per pkg.

This is not a problem if your doing all 4 ti-rods. Just exchange one pack for the reverse thread.

I put this topic in here because there is no "gripe and moan" forum :lol:

BTW I'll have 2 Ti-Rods (Titanium) and 4 Ball Ends (Aluminum) for sale in that forum as a set. Thanks for listening.
\"I\'d rather have a Shelf Queen than have Dusty Nuts\" - Billbow

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sicj
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by sicj » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:10 pm

If I understand correctly..... each turnbuckle had one clockwise (right hand) thread and one counter clockwise (left hand) thread....right?

This is normal.

One side needs to be reversed so you CAN adjust the length while the turnbuckle is installed on the truck. The stock setup does not allow this.

Your turnbuckles that you bought are fine. You have to thread the other rod end on backwards.

8O
Savage SS Basher
TLT Custom Tube-Chassis Crawler
Lunch Box
TA05

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Billbow
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Billbow » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:40 pm

I knew nobody would understand. I'm so trrible at trying to explain things. Glad I never tried to be a tech writer for a living :lol:

Ok here is a picture of what I have from the open package you would think that they equel out but they don't. All 4 balls ony fit on one end are from the same package. I would have to buy another package of 4 reverse thread to get th other 2 needed to make a completed set. dumb huh? Or is it me????

The 2 left in the package only fit on the same end as the ones on the rod now.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ZooTv
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by ZooTv » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:18 pm

There are 2 threads - a left and right hand thread. One end is right hand (you screw things onto it by turning to the right), and the other end is left hand (go on, have a guess!!......ok.....you screw things on by turning to the left!!!)

The end of the turnbuckle that currently has no ball ends on it - put the ball ends on and turn to the left...............not the right as usual.

This is what allows you to adjust the length just by turning the centre of the turnbuckle with a spanner/tool etc.
[img]http://www.v8central.com/snitz3403/gallery/Zoo%20Tv/VertigoBanner.GIF[/img]
"When you're racing - it's life. Anything that happens before..........or after...........is just waiting."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Billbow
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Billbow » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:16 pm

OK guys this is getting really phunny. First I want to thatn you ALL for trying to help me. This is what makes Savage Central such an AWESOME place. But ALL 4 Bal ends have the same thread. If I take off the ones that are installed on the rod now and replace them with the ones in the bag on the same end I just removed the other 2 they will screw on. Even in the same direction. I have tried screwing them on in one direction on the other end and tried to reverse the direction (on that same end). Trust me they gave me 4 of the same thread. It's kinda like when you buy the nuts for your tires. You would expect in a pack of 4 that they would have 2 right hand and 2 left hand thread right. Well imagine if you got all right hand thread and tried to put the other 2 on the other side. Ain't happening. Right? Well that's what happens here.

I think I'll just grind the thread and use loctite permanent adhesive. After all that's what hobby stuff is about right? NoI'm just trying to be phunny. I got the kit with 4 rods and 8 balls pre-assembled. Thee that will learn them commies, HA!

Really guys thanks for trying to help out this was just some general crap that griped me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SavageSSBasher
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SavageSSBasher » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:51 pm

Those turnbuckles are meant to be used with the plastics ends which don't have any threads in them until the first time they are threaded on. Those aluminium ends you got are meant to be used with the stock tie rods which are right hand threaded at both ends.
Open the window... the fumes are making dizzy!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ZooTv
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by ZooTv » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:31 pm

SavageSSBasher wrote:Those turnbuckles are meant to be used with the plastics ends which don't have any threads in them until the first time they are threaded on. Those aluminium ends you got are meant to be used with the stock tie rods which are right hand threaded at both ends.

SavageSSBasher is right. Apologies for my sarcasm (hey - I enjoyed it!!)
[img]http://www.v8central.com/snitz3403/gallery/Zoo%20Tv/VertigoBanner.GIF[/img]
"When you're racing - it's life. Anything that happens before..........or after...........is just waiting."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Billbow
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Billbow » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:58 pm

Good info on the plastic ball ends. Anyway they are in the for sale section if anyone is interested.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links