Airbrush questions

Tips or questions about painting should be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

iwaslikedayum
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Airbrush questions

Post by iwaslikedayum » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:41 pm

I just ordered a Harder & Steenbeck Colani. I went to a clinic put on by a major art supply shop here in Houston where they let us experiment with all the brands and styles and ended up liking the versatility and simplicity of the Colani. You can use from a .2 - 1.2 needle in the same brush and it has a drop in tip as opposed to Iwata's screw in type.

So, the questions.

1. What paint?   I was told that if I use an adhesive promoter, which is readily available, I could use any paint I wish. But...    I'm thinking if I do that, it may not allow me to use liquid mask after. In the class they showed us, using just a sheet of paper over a paper towel how easy it is to make a very sharp edge. Which leads to my next question.

2. Is liquid mask as necessary as it is to get sharp lines with rattle cans?

3. Do you use two or more airbrushes or just clean it while you're waiting on your last coat to dry? I ask this one because they showed us that with colors that aren't far off, you can just use a little windex between colors and keep going, but they said to go from black to something else it would take a tear down cleaning to keep the black from tinting your next color. Of coarse they suggest buying more than one airbrush.

4. What psi to you paint at? Let's say with a .4 mm needle.

Thanks for any help guys. I'm studying hard, but I don't know diddly.
[img]http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a526/iwaslikedayum/138981911153274_zps27f19f55.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Meatgrinder
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Meatgrinder » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:20 am

I found that you need to use a paint that is for Lexan.
I don't use liquid mask I find it a pain it the butt. I use a 1/8 plastic tape that is used for auto painting
it's called fine line made by 3M. I use that for the leading edge and use masking tape off that.

You need to thing of what needs to be paint first. you kind of need to think in reverse when painting
on the inside of the body. (If you were painting on the out side the last color you put on
If you not braking something..... your not trying hard enough!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

iwaslikedayum
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by iwaslikedayum » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:31 am

I've had an easy time using Bob Dively's liquid mask. I just don't know how it will do if laid over adhesive promoter.

You can get a fan tip for your airbrush that will turn the 2" dot spray into a nearly 4" line making it useful for laying the base color as well.
[img]http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a526/iwaslikedayum/138981911153274_zps27f19f55.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Meatgrinder
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Meatgrinder » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:05 am

I use a cheapy air brush

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

iwaslikedayum
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by iwaslikedayum » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:12 am

Using non-lexan paint isn't a super huge deal to me, I was just hoping I could get away with buying only one type of paint.
My girlfriend is always crafting it up around here so that's how I was able to pull off buying a $600 set-up.
I sold her on it.
I don't know for sure, but I can see how putting liquid mask on something that has been sprayed with an adhesive promoter may cause the mask to stick too much.
I know I should probably be asking this in an airbrush forum, but from the ones I've browsed, I haven't seen anyone doing work that relates to this. Even those doing model stuff don't know about lexan.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Meatgrinder
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Meatgrinder » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:45 pm

If and when you try it let us know how it works out.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

iwaslikedayum
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by iwaslikedayum » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:10 am

My business gets nuts as the start of the school year gets ready to begin so I'll probably wait a few weeks till I can dedicate some time to it. In the mean time I'll be watching YouTube and practicing.

I've got another one coming in the mail.
That's a 09' chevy, ford raptor (both slash bodies) and a jeep rubicon unlimited. The one in the mail is a pro-line 14RS that seems to have been discontinued but I found it on ebay.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links