Squid's Savage racer back in action

Post your racing related tips and questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Squid's Savage racer back in action

Post by Squid » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:05 pm

Well, after 99% of the locals went to truggy and sold off all their monster trucks, I kind of quit racing a couple years ago. Now being unemployed I needed something to do, so I started saving a bit of money here and there, and got my truck back together.  
Just got done replacing all the bearings in the driveline, installing Savage XL TVPs, BP diffs, and 17mm hex conversion to get rid of the crappy Savage X wheel nuts.  I kind of wanted to run my old CF chassis just because it worked so well, but I figured that the extra 2 inches of length would make the truck a little more stable.
Now in about 3 hours, I am going to see how well the savage can stand up to running against truggys.
Wish me luck.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mr.Snuggles
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Mr.Snuggles » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:18 pm

good luck, and if they are faster , just remember that the savage is stronger. :twisted:
[url=http://www.pown.it/5078]random of the day[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/werrycoolnick]my youtube[/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

KiZ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by KiZ » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Woot, squid back in action!! Awesome! When was the last time you actually ran your savvy?

It was such a shame when the exodus to truggies happened. The MT class is a lost art!
[url=http://www.kizzard.net/gallery/][img]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r56/kizzzard/gray-sav.gif[/img][/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bigbigbrig
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bigbigbrig » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:10 pm

i race my monster truck more than the truggy.
to me it seems like there is so much more skill in racing a mt.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

88gtanotchback
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 88gtanotchback » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:57 pm

glad to hear its back in biz!  lets see some pics!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:24 am

To be honest, I have run the truck a couple times this season to get the feel of the track again, but it wasn't really "ready" in my opinion. I did OK tonight, finished all qualifiers and the 12 min main, admittedly last.
The biggest problem IMO is that I assumed the XL chassis was based off the X chassis.  Apparently, the XL chassis is a original .21 chassis stretched 2 inches. I now need to get out my old drawings of my lowered chassis, and make a new one, the XL chassis is way too top heavy to race against truggys. From eye balling the XL chassis, I can lower the tranny 1/2 inch and the motor 3/8 of an inch.  That IMO will bring the handling into the area to start beating truggys.
The biggest change /improvement is the BP ring and pinion. It took me a bit to get them shimmed properly, but, it was worth it IMO, I landed a few jumps tonight so out of shape that it thought the ring and pinion were going to be stripped out, but the BPs held up.
I think changing back to the X or my LCG chassis would help handling, but reduce on power stability compared to the XL chassis.  I may swap out chassis for next week just to see, but I am airly certain of the results.
I think a LCG XL chassis is in order to compete against truggys.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

KiZ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by KiZ » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:51 am

Sounds good. What about chassis layout, are you running a mid tank? And what kind of offset are you running? get some SPI rims or axle extenders and you'll be mad stable around the corners even before you get a new chassis.

By the way, I am interested in what you said about the XL chassis. Do you mean the tranny and engine have the same vertical height from the base as the pre-x trucks, essentially dropping the lowering they did for the X chassis?
[url=http://www.kizzard.net/gallery/][img]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r56/kizzzard/gray-sav.gif[/img][/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:31 am

[quote="KiZ";p="759993"]Sounds good. What about chassis layout, are you running a mid tank? And what kind of offset are you running? get some SPI rims or axle extenders and you'll be mad stable around the corners even before you get a new chassis.

By the way, I am interested in what you said about the XL chassis. Do you mean the tranny and engine have the same vertical height from the base as the pre-x trucks, essentially dropping the lowering they did for the X chassis?[/quote]

Stock layout, I have always run that way even when I made my own chassis'.  I have a set of 1/2" offset tires, but I think they made the truck bouncy over the rough parts of the track, some thicker oil may be in order to cure that, but there is a big difference in handling with the wider rims.  I also have 1/2 inch limiters in the shocks.
As far as the chassis layout, I sent an e-mail to HPI last night when I got home asking, and somewhere areound here I have a brand new i the package original savage chassis, and I am going to lay it up against the XL chassis this afternoon.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Savage01085
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Savage01085 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:15 am

I thought if you went longer and wider that would really kill the turning radius? I mean it's not a problem if you don't have alot of S, and U turns in the track layout. Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:31 pm

I was worried about the length and width decreasing the turning radius, but it wasn't an issue for me, and there are a couple 180s and a tight chicane.

The XL TVPs are based off the X chassis, not the original.  The front and tranny hole patterns line right up with the X chassis I just replaced. I think I can go lower, and quite a bit, but I no longer have access to the CNC machines I used to use. So it's going to be a while before I get a chance to do any cutting.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Well, just got done downloading a nd installing a trial version of AutoDesk 2011.  Having no Cad experience at all, it took me about an hour to extend my old LCG chassis to the XL dimensions, and another hour to realize I didn't have the skill to put in openings in the rear. Hopefully I can find someone with a CNC router,and get them cut out of 3mm graphite this week.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links