Non permanent racer build

Post your racing related tips and questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

braco
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Non permanent racer build

Post by braco » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:37 pm

We are building an offroad track here and in June we are organizing demonstration race, to attract people. I thought about few little mods to make my savage a racer, temporarily. Nothing to expensive. Just to let you guys know, I have stock XL.

First thing is the ride hight. I know it is a very stupid question. There are 3 holes on shock towers in which you can mount your shocks. Will the ride hight be the lowest if I mount the shocks In the highest holes or in the lowest? What do you guys do to decrease your ride hight? Everyone is talking about some spacers, I don't know what these are. :oops:

Second thing, swaybars. I know what they do, I know how they work, I know for what are they used. My question is, how much time does it get to remove/put them off/on. I would run them on track, and then remove them for some freestyle jumping to show people what these things can do. Would it be practical?

Third thing, tires. Which tires to run? I saw people run monster truck race tires and truggy race tires on savages. Which ones are better. Suggest something.

Gearing, what about gearing? I will post a picture of how the track will look like. Right now I am running stock XL gearing.

Any other mods you would suggest? Thank you
Last edited by braco on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ransom
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by ransom » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:51 pm

the holes are almost the same height in relation to the lower mount all you get is altering the angle and by that the spring rate slightly
you could lower by putting spacers inside the shock or running shorter shocks or different towers
actually some shorter shocks woul make it very easy to swap back and forth from race to bash and vice versa
you already have offset with the xl ?so a bit lower it should handle well on a track for a big monster truck
Last edited by ransom on Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Felix
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Felix » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Dont make the mistake of making your spacers to big and having no suspension down travel at ride height...

If i were you i would just get the suspension so the arms are level this gets the trucks CG lower and makes it corner better.... but since you will still have alot of down travel in the suspension you could install the sway bar kit... this will help the front tire from lifting on acceleration and stop the rear tire from lifting under braking...

Also not installing spacers will still allow you to get full down travel on ur suspension so you get the full shock working on big air freestyle stuff...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bigbigbrig
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bigbigbrig » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:42 pm

I race a savage x.
For shocks I have CEN nemesis shocks. I have one per corner.
The front two have 1/2" spacers and the two rear have a 1/2" and 1/4" on it.
It makes the a arms almost level with the ground. Its a world of difference in how it handles.
Sway bars also me a big difference.
As for tires. In my oppion XL tires suck for racing due to such a large side wall and soft foam.
They flex alot in turns.
On my race truck I run dirt bonz that are belted and proline racing steped foam in the tires.
Dirt bonz are about 6" tall and XL tires are about 7" tall.
A larger rim would help reduce tire flex.
Just remember that tire weight is an issue with some large tires.
I can't really help you with gearing because you have a 3 speed and I have a 2 speeds in both my trucks.
Also your gearing will change based on your tire choices.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ransom
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by ransom » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:16 pm

yep thats another good option just remove four shocks if you have eight and run slightly heavier springs
and get some  truggy wheels and dirtbonz style tyres lower the overall height and gearing and accelerate faster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Chaos-in-Mt
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Chaos-in-Mt » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:50 pm

For racing I run Big bores off a flux (Ebay cheep) install my wing and cut body, change my wheels (dirt bones+rims were a pull from a SX cheep) run the stiff swaybars (HPI part).  Go back to stock for bashing, I also remove the swaybars as they don't work well for bashing.
My truck has other things done to it but this is all I change to race it.
Granted I mostly race it against other Monster trucks at my track but it has done well with what limited exposer it has had. But they are conspiring against me as we speak.

Chaos

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links