Coming out on top.

Post your racing related tips and questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

HippyGuy
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Coming out on top.

Post by HippyGuy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:40 pm

So im back into the savage scene after 6 years and ive always wanted to race my savage.
ive read many many builds and have put together a good plan in my head, so i figured i would hop on here and start putting it down!
ive always loved reading other peoples builds, and now, i think im ready to do one of my own.
The main purpose is to build a light..er racer, inexpensive (will provide updates on my customizations to tell weather they stayed reliable or not.) Big savage racing scene sounds excelent in my head..
i have a recent post in the General Section of the whole lot i got for 250$ on craigslist. Link Below

modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=92622
So this is my starting point. Good basher. But CAN IT BE a racer?! I say yes..

Now before anyone gets bent out of shape when i tell them ill be racing truggies and buggies. I KNOW." theyre going to dominate me."
But ive got many ideas that will atleast give me a better chance against those rockets. Plus i have this weird natural talent of agility and quick thinking..i think ill be able to pick up on the whole racing thing after several laps. (i havnt raced the track but it looks good. nice wide lanes. not short at all. many small and big jumps.)

-So far i have a custom shock 4-way setup. I would think i weaken the upper arms a bit by doing this but it was completely free! and i plan on getting a good set of upper arms and new shock set up if this doesnt hold anyways. (refer to pictures) it helps the truck not bottom out rather than having them mounted to the lower arms. higher coil count and heavier weight helps maintain roll and CG.
-I do plan on purchasing a good lightweight wing. maybe mod one if i can.
-I havnt searched to see if it was done, but i want to lower my tranny on the stock Xss TVPs.  
-lower the gear ratio because the clutch bell wont fit next to the spur the ratio it is at not (since the engine sited about 4oclock on the spur. i want it to be sitting about2.5 or 3 oclock. smaller ratio will permit that) i hope you guys understand, that is the best i can explain it.
Also, il limit a lot of things. remove unneeded stuff, maybe position my servos in new places, like against the inside of the tvps and put a carbon fiber cap over it all. therefore i can remove the electrics box and create my own shields to protects the servos. That box is just way too bulky. I was thinking of mods that already exist, but whats the fun in that?

i want to put a 200 cc or 225 cc down the left side to center the weight. i dont want to do the mid tank mod for now..

will post pictures after i lower my tranny IF i do.

Thanks for reading.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HippyGuy
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by HippyGuy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:11 pm

I think i could get away with lowering the tranny a bit but for now i dont want to risk ruining my stock tvps. Spent 100$ today on new tires, rims, hd spur gear, clutch bell, springs and a screw set. So i figure ill save up a bit before moving on.

I got my gearing ratio juuust right for these truggy tires.
And let me tell you guys what..this this is definitely going to keep up with truggies and buggies. Ill upload a small video of a couple runs infront of my family's shop when it finishes loading to utube.
Ive been able to shave a lot of weight reducing the size of the tires. Ive also done a few things to lower the CG but im still working on somethin in my head.

I like doing research but im a big thinker like most of us here, and as much as i enjoy the many great ideas here, i love putting my own twist on things. I think shes looking good so far for originally being a basher.. As for the body, im not sure uet but i dont want a racingbody, more of a natural car look with good aerodynamics

-next thing id like to do is a custom mod for my servo positions and battery/reciever positions. Maybe eliminate the electrics box.
only presentable body i have..Definitely need a sleek body

Is a small sheet of carbon fiber(lowes) too cheap to machine a custom TVP for my savage?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HippyGuy
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by HippyGuy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:42 pm

This video is just a quick one after installing the new wheel setup and gear ratio.

I know the cg is too high, body roll is too much.
Working on botyh of those things...Just wanted to show you guys the pure power im putting out with this setup that seemed to just pop in my head.

Mind you, its STOCK. ill post a video tomorrow of some longer runs..

HERE'S THE LINK!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

braco
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by braco » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:50 am

This is getting interesting. I have never see anyone run shocks in this position. How did you mount them?

Buggy tires... Why didn't you go with truggy tires?
[b][url=http://forum.silentdrc.net/silentd_forum/phpBB3/]Silent D RC[/url][/b] Join us!
[img]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk185/braco_2008/BRACO-SIG08-06bb.png[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HippyGuy
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by HippyGuy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:42 am

Theyre truggy tires actually. They seemed a bit small to me. Theyre SpeedTreads..
Maybe its just the style. I didnt like the look at first but i figured after start modding other things the look will even out.

I bout some 3mm screws with some purple washers to stick out. The pressure on the upper arm where it mounts to the hub seems quite strong. Ive put a lot of pressure to see where or if it flexes. And im not seeing any movement.
So far so good.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nitrotrippertje
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by nitrotrippertje » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:27 am

Sorry bud but they are buggy tires not truggy ones.
Guess your been out of the (scene) for too long still nice looking racer but just get real truggy tires so you have even better handling.
If you are serious about racing on a track i would really get real truggy wheels or you will be made fun of if you do get too a track with these wheels just a head up im not trying to bash you.
For better stability get LPR 1/2 offset wheels (LPR=low profile racing) like the ones from OFNA
Team DBC teamdriver
FLM EXT P3.28, hotbodies Twinzilla P3.28, S-25 P3.28
Hotbodies lightning pro2 buggy picco P3.28
Hongnor X2 CRT lightweight P7R EVO3 EDO mod/Werks 2057
Hongnor X2 CRT lightweight Werks B5/2013

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:00 am

This a link to where you can buy FLM tvps for a good price.
http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.ph ... 200&cat=31

This is for the extended version.
http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.ph ... 100&cat=31

If you want carbon fiber here ya go
http://www.platinumrcproducts.com/products.html
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HippyGuy
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by HippyGuy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:30 am

so my day just went town the drain..
I was going back and forth from inside my house to my garage. ya know..had to turn the electronics on and off on and off while i stepped away reading stuff online, so the 10th time i came out i was like *censored* yea, just adjusted my 2nd gear to shift later..put the glow ignitor in, roto..WAHHHHHHH. straight to the curb. Steering popped out but nothing broke. The tiny truggy tires held up AMAZING. so atleast i know i have a good set of wheels. BUT. my TVPs bent and broke 1 chassis brace.

Its ironic that LLkoolSkillet Posted those TVPs..haha
i planned on getting some, now i need some so i guess ill do my electrics set up while its out of commission and im savin money.

I honestly dont mind the small tires. I saw them on the shelf last minute and grabbed them, could have swore they were truggy. I know the differences, but i thought the packagaing said truggy.

On the up side, i dont care if people laugh at my set up, because ill be laughing at them when my savage kills their buggy!
I like the small tires, i know the weight isnt too different from some truggy tires, and the wide truggy tires have a lot more advantage, but i have a perfect set up right now that id love to build on.
It might not be something some of you would do to YOUR truck, but in the long run it might be a bright idea in someone elses mind ya know?

Like i said, i like putting my own twist.
Just sit back and relax, watch my trials and errors.
laugh at me. enjoy the show.
Because im trying things people usually dont try. Things people stay away from because it doesnt perform as well as buggys or revos.
But i just think with perfect combinations of things i can have a sleek ride.

WE SHALL SEE!
Last edited by HippyGuy on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sixOHfour
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by sixOHfour » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:39 am

[quote="HippyGuy";p="809275"]Just sit back and relax, watch my trial and errors. laugh at me. enjoy the show. Because im enjoying myself tremendously.[/quote]

Thats all that matters dude. I'll admit, its not something I would ever build myself but the best part of this hobby is the freedom to do what you want, where you want. !@#$ the naysayers, I'll throw a Steve Jobs quote out for this:

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do"
[img]http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww299/magosti86/604-SIG04-01.png[/img]
[b]HPI Savage Flux HP, Axial Exo, Axial SCX10, Axial XR10, Slash 4x4, E-Revo, MSRX[/b]
[url=http://forum.silentdrc.net/silentd_forum/phpBB3/]Silent D Forum[/url] join today!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HippyGuy
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by HippyGuy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:43 am

well theyre lookin out for me and i appreciate it.
apologies if i come on defensive, just want to get the point across that this ISNT an ordinary build.
id like to stay away from ordinary.
Last edited by HippyGuy on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:05 pm

I have 2 sets of stock X TVPs if you want them.  Just to keep ya runnin in the mean time

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HippyGuy
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by HippyGuy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:16 pm

hm, watcha want for em.

and where ya from?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nitrotrippertje
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by nitrotrippertje » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:59 pm

Like said before im not trying to bash but still a nice project it sure is something out of the ordinairy.
Speaking of tvp,s you mention thinking of making some yourself i say go for it!! there is nothing more rewarding than your own style tvp,s hand made, i did too and had fun fabbing the tvp,s.
Team DBC teamdriver

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:20 pm

I sent you a PM. Im also the guy who sold you your savage.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HippyGuy
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by HippyGuy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:21 pm

haha. whaaaat. well arent i just lucky.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HippyGuy
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by HippyGuy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:24 pm

[quote="nitrotrippertje";p="809287"]Like said before im not trying to bash but still a nice project it sure is something out of the ordinairy.
Speaking of tvp,s you mention thinking of making some yourself i say go for it!! there is nothing more rewarding than your own style tvp,s hand made, i did too and had fun fabbing the tvp,s.[/quote]

Would standard carbon fiber sheet be durable enough? like if i got a small sheet form lowes..
I know they have different thickness too so i could just see whats available and what would be best..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nitrotrippertje
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by nitrotrippertje » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:35 pm

I dont know i made mine from alu and i dont have experiance with carbonfibre but you can try at your own risk.
Team DBC teamdriver

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HippyGuy
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by HippyGuy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 pm

EDIT****Will have to wait till the weekend to cut my tvps out, unless i can find someone else,
the buddy with the plasma cutter is out of town. *****

i couldnt find thick enough aluminum local, and i really wanted to get a good template, so i bought a sheet of 16g steel. enough to make 4 tvps incase i mess up on the 1st set. I have a buddy with a plasma cutter so ill probably get him to cut it out for me.
I took some pictures to show you guys what i came up with.
My main objective, as i stated before, is

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

teknik812
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by teknik812 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Good luck with your custom designed/fab'd TVP's. That has been a project I've been interested in a few weeks now myself. Do you intend on running with the steel design once they are complete, or are they a trial to be converted to aluminum in the future?

I think you mentioned it somewhere earlier in the post, but what kind of conditions is the racetrack you'll be racing?

Thanks for sharing your progress! Some feedback on those TVP's would be great  8)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GSGA
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire
Location: Either in a field or my workshop fixing something I've just broken - in a field...

Post by GSGA » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Just a suggestion - what about tipping the whole of the rear end down instead of just the motor plate?

That would lower your COG there as well. You'd probably have to check out the effect on the rear diff drive cup angle relative to the shaft though.
[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee284/Banzai_22/GSGA-SIGGIF02-01b.gif[/img]
[url=http://goo.gl/NMk1h]K4.6 SHO[/url]
[url=http://goo.gl/9jHqt]Flux Triple X[/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links