Getting srarted

Post your racing related tips and questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Getting srarted

Post by badboy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:08 pm

I have had my savage for about two years.  My sons and I have loved it.  We have decided that we would like to enter a race this spring or summer and see how things go.  I don't really want to change my our truck very much we just want to race. Our basher is a savage x 4.6 with a picco. 28, ERCM sidebleed and big bore shocks.  
I just wanted to get some advice from those of you that have raced. What should I know about driver etiquette or anything else you think a first time racer should be aware of.  My son who is twelve will be driving.
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

troy8481
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by troy8481 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:07 pm

If you can still get in races with the savage I'm jealous, they just don't have MT races anymore.

I think you were on the right track with the offset wheels. you really need at least half offset to keep it stable.

As far as etiquette just stay away from those really serious racer's that act like they will lose there house if they lose a race or accidentally get run into by your son. (there out there). Take him to the track and let him practice. Try to get him to learn to use his brakes before the turn not in the turn and let it roll through the turn and don't gas it till hes straight with the track. As far as jumps I think the savage needs to be on the gas to keep it from nose diving I cant remember its been so long. it will take time but he will love it when he gets used to it. Good luck, let us know how he does.

I just looked your sig and noticed you have badlands, what other tires do you have?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:27 pm

I have some Dirt bonz and will probably purchase some type of offset to race.  I dont know how much practice we will get the closest track is about one hour away.  There was a track about thirty minutes away but it closed down.  There has been talk of an indoor track around here but it would be only for electric which would not appeal to us right now.  I guess I need to see if there is a monster truck race.  I don't know why they don't have more monster truck races.  Seems to me that the monster truck race would be the main event.  Thanks for your input.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

troy8481
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by troy8481 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:35 pm

Dirtbones are actually some pretty good tires. If you cant find any wheels let me know, Ive got dozens of sets, Im sure I could come off something.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SLAYERDUDE
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by SLAYERDUDE » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:14 pm

I used Proline Bowtie LPR's (cheap on ebay) and they worked great at my track, along with no preload clips on the shocks.

Best advice to a noob racer is go to the track on raceday and just watch, how things go in the pits, what to do before and after your heats, etc.
MT class is dead around here, but there should be a Sportsman class which is for novices and is usually just run what ya brung.
You'll need a transponder, or a house transponder if they offer them, just be sure to install it in your body (you need a hole for this) before the heat and promptly return it to the charging rack after your heat/main.
If you make it to the mains you'll likely need a pitstop so know what your runtime is so you can pit at the correct time before running out of fuel, and when you are pitting your truck stay out of the other drivers view so they can see the track!
(I hate it when some dude is wandering around in front of the track and I can't see the corners!!!)

Also if you don't run a 2.4g radio be sure to check freq's BEFORE turning your radio on AT ALL, last thing you need is a dude all bent outta shape because you just wrecked his RC by turning your gear on.

Hope that helps and have fun, racing is addictive!
[img]http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy229/rc1/Avitars/sc.gif[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Thanks Troy8481 that is very kind of you. I will keep that in mind.  Thanks for the heads up on the transponder, Slayerdude I wasn't even thinking about that.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SLAYERDUDE
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by SLAYERDUDE » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:38 pm

It's pretty easy to forget to return the transponder if you have to pit for another guy right after your heat/main. :oops:

My best advice is to go for your first time just to watch and learn, even if it's an hour away, and get there early, find a cool guy to hang with, he may even ask you to pit for him.
You don't want to be known at the track as "that guy" that was in everyone's way and making races start late. :wink:
If someone is chillin at their pit table, don't be afraid to ask questions, most dudes at most tracks are very cool and helpful as long as you don't hinder their raceday.

Man I can't wait to race my D8T truggy! :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:39 pm

Just did some searching and the track one hour away from me has closed. My next option is Tallahassee Florida for which is two hours away.  As some of you predicted there is no monster truck class.  They do have a novice class for beginners but if three or more do not enter, the novice class is canceled.  It looks like a pretty cool track hopefully it will work out.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SLAYERDUDE
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by SLAYERDUDE » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Aw man that sucks, here's a little older info to get you started, I wouldn't drive 2 hours to watch anything at this point lol.

http://www.rcexcitement.com/race-day.html

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MrMUC
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by MrMUC » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:26 am

Im about an hour away from RC Excitement!! Gonna try and see if I can get out there this weekend and finally check that place out!!!!
[img]http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac261/SYAWEDIS/SAVAGE/MUC-SIG02-02.png[/img]
I LOVE THE SMELL OF NITRO IN THE AIR!!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:58 pm

Well I have four sons so one day I will have my own racing league in my yard kinda like what Nitromite has in his yard.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dodgedude
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by dodgedude » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:01 pm

Nitromite, Where is that guy anywas?
[img]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/Dodgedude780/avatar-1.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.savage-central.com/Evo-Forums_-_file_-_viewtopic_-_t_-_93901_-_start_-_0.html]Big Blue[/url]......Soon.....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links