Another racing newbie question

Post your racing related tips and questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Another racing newbie question

Post by badboy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:39 pm

As some of you may know I have been trying to find a track for me and my sons to start racing.  I was searching last night and there is a brand new track 20 miles from me.  It is in Mossy head FL.  They have a site which I have joined but I am still waiting for the mods to approve me.  They have 16 members on their site so I guess someone isnt watching it 24/7.  
Their first race is March 31 and obviously I want to take part.  The problem is I cant contact anyone about practicing on their track.  Its in a very rural location so its likely nobody will be there tomorrow when I would like to drive.
I was hoping to get some feedback from those of you in the know.  Would it be okay for me to just show up and start driving even if nobody is there?  Dont want to make a bad first impression.
Thanks for your advice.
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Cadimman
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Cadimman » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:06 pm

At my local track there were signs posted for member use only. However newbs were given leeway as we were always trying to get new members.
Thanks to all the GOOD people on this site!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dcdoode7
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Dcdoode7 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Where I go, it's pretty rural too (northern Ontario). If you can't find anyone and there are no signs, but you have good intentions, more power to you. Bring 20$ or something just In case there is a fee for daily use.

Usually racers can be pretty laid back so just explain the situation and usually things are sorted :)

Good luck :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Appreciate the input.  My sons are going to have a blast.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:00 pm

We went today and there were a couple of people running buggies I think.  They said they didn't mind so we got on the track with them.  I had dirt bonz on because I heard they were good for packed clay.  There was a lot of sand on top of the packed claywhich made things very slippery.  I could hardly go around the track without spinning out and everyone else on the track was making me and my rig look pretty bad.  That is to be expected our first time out.  The buggies did not seem to be having as much trouble getting around the track as me.  I didn't get a chance to talk to them because they left shortly after we arrived.  My wife and oldest son took some laps also and had a great time.  In fact they were kind of arguing over the who s turn it was.  We are going to go to the first race in a couple of weeks but I don't know if we will participate or not.  Our truck was just not very competitive out there.  
I did have the best sounding truck thanks to my ERCM side bleed.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links