vehicle suggestions

Post your racing related tips and questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

vehicle suggestions

Post by badboy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:52 pm

My sons and I are becoming interested in racing.  We went to a track this weekend and had fun but quickly realized there isn't much of an opportunity to race our savage.  Everything is buggies or truggies.   I am already spending way too much money but I think purchasing something I can race is inevitable. I was hoping to get some guidance from savage central on what type of vehicle and maybe even which specific vehicle to look at.  When I got my savage it was easy.  The revo is fast but fragile and the savage is almost as fast but indestructible.   Choosing a vehicle to race seems more difficult.  

I am not a big fan of electric although I have not completely ruled it out.  I think I am leaning towards a 1/8 buggy.  I looked at the OFNA buggy but I really do not know what I am looking for.  I saw someone use a bump box for the first time when we were at the track and it sure looked like that made it easy to start.  
I don't even know why I am leaning towards a buggy because I really don't even know the difference between a buggy and a truggy.
So if you could give me some guidance or direction I would appreciate it.
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sniperofgods
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by Sniperofgods » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:33 pm

Depends on your budget really but for the money and if i were to go with a kit for racing i would get the caster EX 1.5r, they also have other scales as well but its a little costly for the pro kits but awesome kits none the less, heres the website http://casterracingusa.com/home.php?cat=60

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Cadimman
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Cadimman » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:37 pm

Truggy is easier to drive and a buggy will make you a better driver. Losi is good and popular as is hot bodies. Buggy might be a little cheaper.
Thanks to all the GOOD people on this site!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

troy8481
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by troy8481 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:51 am

Losi, Team Associated, Mugen, Ofna, kyosho are the major players right now. As said above Caster, Hot bodies, Serpent and a few others are up and coming.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dcdoode7
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Dcdoode7 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:56 am

Troy pretty much nailed the big names.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36 am

IMO, the biggest consideration in buying a racer is what does the LHS stock? No matter what the reviews are, if the LHS doesn't stock it, the best rated vehicle is no good if you break a part and can't run in and grab what ever broke. (I am assuming that the track is on the grounds of the LHS.)
Now as for truggy and buggy, to rephrase what was said above; Truggys are easier to go fast with because they are more forgiving in set up and handling, and buggys are very precise vehicles and everything including needs to be spot on including the driver. That IMO is why truggys are so popular, the big tires are cool, and they are fairly easier to go fast with. Most truggy set ups are essentially a buggy with wider arms and big tires. I say essentially, becasue there are a few other minor changes.
There is a 3rd option, talk to the race director and see how many MTs are required to make a heat. I know my local track will put in a heat of anything as long as there are 6 to cover corner marshaling duties for the next heat.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

teknik812
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by teknik812 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:43 pm

If I may chime in -

Although you may not be keen on electric vehicles, I would suggest getting into short-course racing to begin with, and for a number of reasons.

1st - Inexpensive (relatively)
2nd - No pit crew required
3rd - super popular
4th - no hop-ups/upgrades required (stock class)
5th - even playing field, for the most part (stock class)
6th - plenty of room to upgrade when your skills improve (mod class, 4x4 class, etc.)

I've only raced in two events, and they were both with a short-course. It was incredible fun, its kid-friendly, and working on your vehicle in-between races is quick and easy. Not to mention parts availability (depending on what the locals like to run).

All you would basically need is a RTR short course truck, a nice 2C lipo (even NiMh work ok), and a balance charger. Approx $300/$350 TOTAL to get you in the race. That is significantly lower than jumping in both feet first with a buggy or truggy.

Just something to think about; I'm not far behind you either, BADBOY. I love racing; just have to allocate time in the schedule to make it happen.

Hope this helps!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Thank you all so much for your input.  The track near me is new and the first race will be march 31.  It is in a very rural location and there is not a lhs or even a gas station close by.  The lhs that are near me arent worth the drive.  They are not helpful and theI only reason i go to my lhs is to buy fuel.  If it was not for savage central I doubt I would have remained in the hobby._I think I will take what I have read here and take that to the track with me.  This will only be the second race I have ever been to.  
I wish they had a mt class but when I asked the owner if they had a mt class he said "if enough of those show up we might let them run".  For some reason nobody wants to race monster trucks I don't know why.
Its going to be a while until I purchase something but all of you have definitely given me something to start with.
teknik812 I haven't ruled out electric in fact it would probably be the wisest decision I just prefer nitro. The idea of electric being kid friendly is also a big draw.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SLAYERDUDE
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by SLAYERDUDE » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm biased to the HB D8T because mine was nothing but great last year for the cheap startup cost. :D

Go into the nitro or elec offroad setions here and just start reading, there's likely more than you would ever need or want to know about nearly any race vehicle you can think of.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/

Whatever vehicle you want to know about, read the last 10 pages of that thread and there will likely have been someone asking the pros and cons, instead of you making a repeat post asking the same question again.
Most threads there are at least several hundred pages long on each vehicle.

Lol there's only 519 pages to read up on the D8T.  :o
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-r ... y-519.html
[img]http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy229/rc1/Avitars/sc.gif[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:50 pm

The D8T has come up quite a bit just looking at the different options.  I think savagesam races one also.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SLAYERDUDE
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by SLAYERDUDE » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:11 pm

If you have a radio and bumpstart engine to put in it already, it's a great way to get your feet wet!
I finished waay too well for what I was running with zero racing experience last year, them boys at my track better LOOK OUT now that I won't be taking an extra pitstop for fuel this year! :twisted:
I raced with too large an engine and the wrong tires last year and had a few great finishes. (only one set of HPI Nubz so no changeup for conditions).
These guys I'm racing against run $1500 rigs with 5 sets of tires, and they are changing shocks, tires, clutch (oh yea I ran the wrong clutch too), gearing, etc...
I just finish my heat, check for loose screws, set it on the pit table and wait for the next heat / main. :lol:
I never went to the track and practiced during the week either, show up on raceday, warm up and race. 8)
Never broke anything last season, other than servos, you NEED good servos!
But none of the parts from the kit failed.
[img]http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy229/rc1/Avitars/sc.gif[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:21 pm

I have been researching buggies and have found some that I like.   Money is becoming the deciding factor again.  I am doing a build for my wife and getting something ready to race this close to the season may be unrealistic for me.  If I were to choose right now it would be the losi 8ight 2.0 or the OFNA picco buggy or the OFNA lx2.  I need to keep the cost down to see how everything goes.  The first race is in two days and I should learn alot more then.  I am keeping an open mind about the Electrics I just want to see what my sons would like to race.
I like the hb d8 but I think hb is going to replace that with a cr8?  I would like to see some video on that.  An rtr would be easier for me though as I am quite pressed for time at this point in life.  It will be fun whatever we choose.
My 10 year old is becoming quite interested in this hobby after last weekend.  He ran a couple of tanks doing power slides on a wet road in front of my house.  He did so many my dirt bonz started coming off the rim.  I will probably need to buy an entire fleet of buggies.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:24 pm

Maybe I will buy six exceed buggies since they are disposable.  Lol

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bigbigbrig
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bigbigbrig » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:22 am

The Ofna Picco buggy handles very well. I had an Ofna LX1 that I got for $40 on craigslist.
The LX1 also did very well. Not as good as the Picco but still good.
I would assume the LX2 would be good based on the fact that its based off of the LX1

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links