Transponders

Post your racing related tips and questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Transponders

Post by badboy » Mon May 21, 2012 8:14 pm

I am sure to some of you this will be a stupid question but I don't know the answer.  How does a transponder work? What I mean by that is where do you put it?  How is it powered?  
There is a new track near me but I don't think its going to work out because no one is there and their site is always dead.  I have found one that races monster trucks but its near my brothers house in Jacksonville which is almost a five hour drive.  I am just trying.to figure everything out before I get to the track to limit the surprises.
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

teknik812
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by teknik812 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:20 pm

badboy,

A transponder is a device used to track your times/lap counts. It can mount wherever you want to mount it, and generally runs on a AUX channel on your receiver (powered by your 6v battery). Each transponder has its own unique number; pass that on to the race host to get put in the system.

If there is a new track near you, then it's most likely being used. Check back on a Saturday and I'm sure people will be there. I have 2 fairly local tracks and their message boards are dead as doornails too. Don't let that discourage you. Look for the name or location of the track on other RC websites. There is surely someone on the Internet talking about it/spreading the word.

Speaking of tracks, just found 3 more within 2 hours of home...It's time to teach the wifey how to pit a nitro...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Mon May 21, 2012 8:32 pm

I will keep checking.  Is the transponder issued by the track or is that something each racer needs to buy.  Even if they don't hold races its still fun to drive there.  Like most tracks they only race buggies and truggies.   The one in Jacksonville does race monster trucks so its inevitable that I go over there.
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Cadimman
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Cadimman » Mon May 21, 2012 8:53 pm

Usually there are rental transponders that are self powered but it's kind of a pain to remove it after every heat. Buy your own if you plan to race much at all and you'll be glad you did.
Thanks to all the GOOD people on this site!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

torredo
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by torredo » Mon May 21, 2012 9:32 pm

i found this one interesting, not sure how "great" it is but i like the mounting system for it.

www.redrc.net

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links