XL into short course racer??

Post your racing related tips and questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Iceman21
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

XL into short course racer??

Post by Iceman21 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:58 pm

I just bought a XL a few days ago and now they're gonna open a local short course track so what mods am I gonna need to be smokin revos?? Shocks...wheels...gearing...anything I need moneys not an issue.(but I'd like to keep the dual shock look)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:10 pm

Drop the ride height, stiffer springs, Dirtbonz wheels, sway bar kit, and ERCM power plant with ERCM endbleed. I would also put a hellfire fuel tank in the stock location to get rid of the htl and make your run times more consistent and tuning much easier.
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Iceman21
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Iceman21 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:51 pm

How do i drop the hieght? What kind of springs do you recommend? And I'm new to this so what is ERCM power plant and endbleed? Thanks

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:24 pm

You can pull the shock shafts out and put fuel tubing on them to limit shock travel. This will drop the height without changing shocks. I believe the stiffest springs for the 8 shock setup are red and I know integy makes a springs kit with 6 different rates. I used to have it. There are other options out there just need to search for ya.

As for ERCM, it's a modified motor of your choosing. Robin is the best in the buisness and so are his pipes.

Here's my Savage Speed with ERCM endbleed pipe and ERCM picco. Yes that is a stock hpi head on a picco. It's also the worlds fastest nitro savage ;)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Iceman21
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Iceman21 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:20 am

Dang that's sick.  I have just a few more questions, when I was looking for a motor I noticed some motors have more horsepower but less rpms so does that matter? Go for hp over rpms or no...?? Also I have to replace my clutch which one do you recommend I go with? And since I have the clutchbell out should I change the teeth count (16t to 14t or somethin?) for the short course? And for a glow plug would you recommend a cold plug? R5? (it's like 90f over here) thanks bro your helpin me out a ton!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Iceman21
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Iceman21 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:59 am

Oh and a few more questions, for the hellfire fuel tank are you meaning the same size cc's as the stock? What weight should I use for the shocks? And what would you recommend the best motor to get and send to ERCM?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm

How good are you at tuning? This makes a big difference on a motor recommendation.

As for gearing 17/47 would be a nice starting point. It has the best of both worlds in terms of acceleration and speed. But your gearing choice is determined by how your truck runs on the track. Going lower with the cb will allow you to launch quicker but with a shorter top end end. Glow plugs, I use McCoy #8's there a medium plug. This is what you want to run for the life of the motor. Shock oil, I'd fill it with 40wt but again here you can tune your shocks depending on your track. Shock oil is cheap enough to buy a few wts and try them out. The same goes for diff oil. Thinner oil in the diff makes it transfer power to the wheel with less resistance. Thicker oil will act like a locker. Good starting points for diff oil is 50k front and 30k rear. My favorite clutch is the integy 7075 clutch kit. The hellfire tank has 10 less cc than the stock tank but it doesn't give you the headaches the stock one does lol.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Iceman21
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Iceman21 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:44 pm

Well this is the first truck iv ever tuned (or attempted) and on the 5th tank my flywheel broke loose and had to take the motor out before I even figured out how to tune it so my tuning confidence isn't very high lol. So I already ordered some gears from a main hobbies this morning before you wrote back and told them my plan to race short course and they're sending me 13t cb and a 52t metal spur and I told them wouldn't that be too low and they said now that will work great! Lol?? Should I send em back before I use them or just try em? And about the hellfire tank I'm just curious why is it a better way to go even though it has less cc's??

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vandodger
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by vandodger » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:07 am

this is a pretty good one to watch.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Burt111
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Burt111 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:59 am

[quote="LLkoolskillet";p="870982"]You can pull the shock shafts out and put fuel tubing on them to limit shock travel. This will drop the height without changing shocks. I believe the stiffest springs for the 8 shock setup are red and I know integy makes a springs kit with 6 different rates. I used to have it. There are other options out there just need to search for ya.

As for ERCM, it's a modified motor of your choosing. Robin is the best in the buisness and so are his pipes.

Here's my Savage Speed with ERCM endbleed pipe and ERCM picco. Yes that is a stock hpi head on a picco. It's also the worlds fastest nitro savage ;)

Image[/quote] Theres alot of work went into that truck,Its awesome not just your average savage.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:50 pm

13/52 should be ok but again it depends on the track your running on. One thing to remember with an RTR is you need to take them completely apart before you even fire it up and shim everything that needs it and make sure everything it nice and tight. This will help you get to know the truck on a different level and help you diagnose problems before they happen.

The hellfire tank, 10 less CCs are not really noticeable. Once you break in that 5.9 you'll understand why the stock tank is so hated. Also I highly recommend sealing the backplate, carb, and middle speed needle on that motor.

My favorite motor is the OFNA Picco 28, it is now discontinued but there still out there for $200. Send it to ERCM and watch your eye balls explode with pure bliss

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Iceman21
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Iceman21 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:00 am

When you say sealing what exactly does that mean? And since that picco 28 is discontinued what's another good motor to pick up?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:18 am

Picco Boost 28, its the same as the picco just with a turbo button head, You can take the button off and put a standard button on it. The glow plugs are also cheaper and it would be the same as the older picco 28.

Sealing the motor up using RTV it prevents airleaks which the 5.9 is very prone to

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Iceman21
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Iceman21 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:36 pm

Dang okay, hey I have another question if I was to put new shocks on it and I wanted to stay with the 8 shock setup what's a good brand to go with? I mean I want a *censored* looking shock and integy has them but I heard they suck so what's left!?!? Lol

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:59 am

HPI big bores but there a 4 shock configuration. You can run 8 if you wanted tho. There is no better shock than these. They even make the truck handle better. Integy shocks suck so do stay away from them.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Iceman21
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Iceman21 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:47 am

Okay sweet bro and I was lookin up ERCM and I was reading that they tune motors and stuff but what exactly do they do? Bore it out?...change pistons?? And since I only have a few tanks on this motor would it make a power difference to just put the ERCM endbleed on the stock motor? Or enough for it to be worth the money?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vandodger
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by vandodger » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:13 pm

Robin (ERCM) takes the engine apart and cleans up and streamlines the ports on your piston sleeve allowing higher velocity air and fuel mixture into your engine resulting in more horsepower. dont quote me but I think he even enlarges the ports for better intake and exhaust timing, but you'd have to ask him about it.  I ran an ERCM O.S. .28 in my old revo 3.3 truggy, the power difference between it and my buddys T-maxx with the same fatory motor was insane. where his was wheelying in first mine would still flip over in 2nd! I just wish i would have run one of robin's revo pipes instead of the trinity one i had on it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MTHEAD
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by MTHEAD » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:43 pm

ERCM pipe is well worth the money on either a stock 5.9 or any motor you will run.  ERCM will also recommend using the 4.6 style header for max performance of his pipe.  Plus you get the cool factor with ERCM.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

realsickclown
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by realsickclown » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:39 pm

I only have an F4.6 in my XL w/ERCM sidebleed and Proline Trenchers and with the ERCM exhaust I was getting decent wheelies out of an XL with a 4.6. With stock tires ,it just ripped them off the rim. lolol Anyhow, the pipe is amazing in the power finding dept. I highly recommend getting one if you got the bread.
Move or I'll run over you.

Savage XL nirto on 25TVP's
Traxxas Rustler 3.3 nitro
Intech ERSC-10,full mods
Traxxas Slash 4x4 highly modified
Axial SCX10 73' Bronco full mods,Holmes Hobbies
Axial SCX10 Comanche
VXL MERV

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links