Question about the bi-directional clutch set

Manufacturer of High Performance Aftermarket Hop Ups for the Savage

Moderator: Moderators

jpolidore
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Question about the bi-directional clutch set

Post by jpolidore » Tue May 10, 2005 9:58 pm

I have purchased the set and I have a problem with it, I have broken 2 springs in as many days? Am I setting it up wrong? Temps are less than 270 and truck is running great. Not wheelieing like before the install (might be the tires). any feedback would be appreciated. Also am I gonna have to replace the springs every 2 days? if so do ya'll make a heavy duty one? thanks in advance..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MountainCat
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by MountainCat » Wed May 11, 2005 2:13 am

gott be the way yer doing it cuz I have'nt had a problem yet with mine. I am only running 2 springs too. Maybe if you describe how you are installing them... maybe with pics if you can..... might be able to elp

MC
If it ain't broke it must be a Savage!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jpolidore
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by jpolidore » Wed May 11, 2005 6:21 am

thanks fo rthe reply mountaincat, I am installing the same way as the post in this forum. I hook the spring together and put one on each side of the shoes? one against the flywheel and one out towards the clutchbell, is this my mistake?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MountainCat
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by MountainCat » Wed May 11, 2005 10:01 am

no that sounds right... thats the way I have done mine. Hmmm a mystrey then.... not too sure what to tell ya buddy. where abouts is the springs breaking? When assembling mine I hooked the spring together and then insalled it.. Could it be thee location of the spring where it hooks together on the clutch... I make sure where they hook is not where the shoes separate... Just a couple ideas
If it ain't broke it must be a Savage!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jpolidore
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by jpolidore » Fri May 13, 2005 9:15 am

I have a new question, my springs are now fine, TY. I need to know how much play I need in the bell, .5mm, 1.0mm. My problem is I am breaking bearings, broke 2 so far I think is from no play in the bell. Also when I decelerate the clutch sounds like it is staying engaged. should I go up to three springs? and if so which side does the 3rd spring go on? the inside or the out. I also think that it engaging to soon because the acceleration is not the same as with the stock clutch. Thank you in advance..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heinz57
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by Heinz57 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:27 pm

I run this clutch and absolutely love it. I also had a similar problem. I was not properly shimming the bell. I did away with the stock bell. And purchased ofna vented hardened clutch bell. And the ofna shim kit. I used 3 shims in place of the brass washer. The screw in the clutch bell can be snugly tightened, the bell spins freely, and there is very little to no play In the clutch bell.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Shaftu
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Shaftu » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:28 pm

I noticed that when I installed my envy flywheel onto the brass collet is seemed to go on too easy with very little force. I tightened the flywheel down using a piston locker and it seemed to seat in snugly. Does this sound weird to any of you guys???

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mydixiewrecked
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by mydixiewrecked » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:44 am

Sometimes if the springs were rolled into the shoes,,they will try to roll out under high rpm and vibrations. This makes the spring push against the big shim and then the shim rubs the spring to the point of breakage. This pushing will also put pressure on the CB bearings causing them to fail quickly by loosing your CB endplay while running.

Its kinda tricky but you can install the springs without rolling them into the shoe package. It's a matter of hooking the two ends together and stretching them to lay in the shoes,without rolling them in.

I always use all 3 springs when using this clutch,,it will make the shoes last alot longer and it helps your motor to get "on the pipe" quicker. The clutch will disengage sooner with 3 springs as well. You will be back to doing wheelies in no time and your new clutch will thank you.

The 3rd spring goes into the deep slot that is machined into the shoes (one side of the shoes has a deep slot, the other side is machined shallow). I have always faced the 2 springs in the shoes up next to the flywheel just to keep the extra weight inboard of the CB bearings and to allow the front engine bearing to accept this extra weight, just personal preference I guess.

I have used both the GPM slider and this Envy clutch, and this one by far is the better of the two.

Hope this helps!!
K.
CHEAP AIN'T GOOD,,AND GOOD AIN'T CHEAP!!
Throt @ brake Mod, Diff mod, steer mod, Motorsaver Filter, O.donnell, Hpi, Tekin, Savage central, Boeing, RB-28, Acer Racing, Nova rc, Team Orion, Team Tekin,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

waz
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by waz » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:44 pm

Just gotta say, got this clutch on my LST, it's brilliant, great product.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Johnny9s
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by Johnny9s » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:51 am

I will hopefluuy be getting my clutch this week. I will be installing on my Picco .27. I'll probably start with 2 springs and go from there. I'll let you know how it works on this engine.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Savage4666
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by Savage4666 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:46 pm

I found out why people are breaking their springs. This clutch is very sensitive to clutch bell play. If u just have a tad bit too much the spring comes off the shoe and get ground up, locking up your clutch. Thats what happened to me, i found out that wen the brass washer wears down the play in the clutch bell becomes just enough for that spring to go. The clutch bell should have just enough play so that it would move freely on its bearings.

Hope this helps.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SavageBEING
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by SavageBEING » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:23 pm

You need to get rid of that brass spacer and buy a clutch bell shim kit.

Ofna makes them.
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

I think I saw that line back there, somewhere ....

2 Savage's heavily modded and well bashed

X1CRT Pro

Hellfire

RS4 3 Evo (OS18 CVR)

Hyper 7 PBS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links