Moderator: Moderators

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

How to install a eNVy flywheel...

Post by CRSMP5 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:44 am

How to install a eNVy flywheel...

the eNVy flywheel on top of a stock one for diameter differance

this is the kit.. NOTE: this is the original "back wards" shoe one..

I used a black shim installed first, IMO this 1 shim is used to prevent the bottom seal on the bearing from getting dislodged and is extra prtection against dust

install the BRASS cone all the way to the shim, and make sure the crank is pulled all the way out.. the crank will try to slide into the engine, and may allow the crank too much back lash damaging the rod or even piston.

this is the stock HPI nut
A original style clutch shoe installed onto the stock nut

A Mugen clutch nut installed, WHY?? the groove on it is set towards the end of the crank more than the stock nut spring groove.
clutch shoes installed..

I have one engine with the stock nut, and now this one with the mugen nut installed. I want to see how the differance in clutch feel is. Im very happy with the stock one, but why buy another nut when i have a free mugen one to use right??
Last edited by CRSMP5 on Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Corrado
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Corrado » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:37 am

CRS, I would mention about putting on the clutch shoes backwards, as it seems many questions are asked about doing so. I know Oarie mentioned with the new kits that the shoes don't need to be installed backwards, but I figure why not? I just bought some Mugen shoes my envy 3 shoe clutch on my ss, but I think the springs are too stiff. Anyways, nice pics, and that should hopefully help the confusion and questions that seem to be asked many times a week. Good Post.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

hpimaniac
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by hpimaniac » Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:48 pm

i put the clutch shoes on backwards once it seemed to work better then when you put them on normally...... it was weird because i installed it on my force and everytime i hit the gas. it just flipped on its back. i was like hmmm ok. when it hit second the car jerked with so much power it flipped again!!! i was like WTH!!!!. hit second next time and the car lifted but with more control and it took off!!! i was like 8O then when i installed it back to normal again the truck was controllable. still flipped but it was a smoother wheelie.
and no there was no damage to the shoes ^_^

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ZuDaX
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by ZuDaX » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:04 pm

tryting to unstall this onto my 21 having a problem with the springs.. they wont drop into the center of the nut it just lays on the top of the outside.. do the clutch shoes need to line up with the nut? the nut lays lower than the shoe.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by CRSMP5 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:18 pm

different clutch shoes on a eNVy flywheel.... great info...

stock flywheel
hb lightning pro flywheel
mugen flywheel
eNVy flywheel
clutch nuts, left to right, hb lightning pro, stock, and mugen
spacer on stock flywheel, eNVy lacks, requires one of those bronze bushings, and 2 more steel shims to shim it to proper place else the grove is wrong
Mugen also has this spacer.. BUT requires 2 of those shims.. to use mugen shoes with a mugen nut on a eNVy flywheel.
wear charcteristics of eNVy shoe design #1 with stock savage nut and no spacer behind the nut
wear charistic with mugen nut used with eNVy shoe design 1. IMO much more desirable.. but thats what lack of the bronze spacer causes..
Mugen on the left, eNVy design 1 on right, Mugen clutch nut
HPI's 3 shoe with spring on a mugen nut.. no way a stock savage 21rtr nut will work unless major shimming between nut and flywheel.
the HB lightning pro with a HPI 3 shoe.. perfect fit..
the HB lightning pro nut again with a Mugen shoe.. once again perfect fit.

the HPI 3 shoe springs suck real trying to install them, they are.... and i mean are the hardest spring/shoe combo ive iver tried.... the spring has to br put over the crank before sliding it on the pin of the flywheel... else does not fit correctly... major pain.... the hb is like a ofna set up, so maybe a ofna clutch nut can be desired, but im using my lightning pro one for now and testing out the hpi shoes.....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ZuDaX
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by ZuDaX » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:10 am

where can i get that HB Lighting pro nut?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by CRSMP5 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:07 pm

honestly i cannot say.. it came on my lightning.. i need to get a ofna nut now to compair it too.. i think its the same.. but can only get one to find out.. you can shim it... for the differance.. but its something i had kicking around to use..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tbill
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by tbill » Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:10 pm

i put this set up on my mach .26 last night. the mach has a standard shaft, so i cut it and used what i THINK is a traxxas adapter. i had to use a shim between the flywheel and adapter nut to make the set up work [to get the springs to line up in the 'groove'], but lemme tell ya what, this clutch set up is, as they say, the bomb! very happy so far 8)
savage #1 lrp z28, savage #2 mach .26, savage #3 wasp .26, savage #4 mach .26, savage X, Hellfire, GS storm,
2 nitro M/T's with a few mods, mini-T, 'magic wheels' Snap-On truck, xmod evo [firebird], LST2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

iCow
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by iCow » Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:49 am

ok i ordered the HPI 3 shoe kit, and I have the stock SS nut. So what you are saying I either need to shim the flywheel with 3 shims or get an HB lightning nut? I did notice the uneven wear pattern when I was installing the WASP, but thought nothing of it.

This could explain a lot of issues with slippage.

My shoes should come today, so exactly how many shims and what kind do i need?
[url=http://www.iconicarts.com/savss/racer/]My Racer Project - Codename: Little Boy[/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by CRSMP5 » Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:15 am

shim it till the spring groove lines up with out pulling or pushing the spring creating a load on it.

i used 2 brass spacers on my buggy with the stock HPI nut and the original lightning shoes and they seemed to fit.. the lightning shoes i would call the same as the mugen which is the same as the hpi 3 shoe.. but yea i know this whole shimming issue is a major wonder if thats why.. which is why i tried in the original above instructions the mugen nut to see the differance.. and now i think ive found the winner... it explains alot and now i understand why so many had issues with the eNVy shoe 1 set up... my concern is the eNVy 2 shoe set up and lack of the brass spacers.. play with yours for a bit to see what i mean by there is no way it will not work with out shimming..

also.. here is a hint to get teh damb HPI spring to install.. as stated it is a real *censored* to fit..

stick a allen wrench thru the shoe/spring, the spring has to be on the proper side of the piolet shaft slide the shoe onto the peg on the flywheel letting it push the allen wrench out of the shoe/spring..

i must have had 10 min trying to install shoe 1, 5min to install shoe 2, and 15 min on the last shoe due to this blundering fit of the spring... usually the last shoe is easiest.. not this time.. you have to move the other 2 shoes to get it past them.. as you fiddle with the blasted spring...

the HPI springs suck.. need to be a 1/8" longer by the piolet shaft or something.. you will see.. it can be done.. but a major pain.. the stock design eNVy 1 shoe set up is so far the best ive ever had to install..
Last edited by CRSMP5 on Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

iCow
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by iCow » Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:08 am

can i use brass washers from like Home depot or do they have to be from the OFNA shim kit?
[url=http://www.iconicarts.com/savss/racer/]My Racer Project - Codename: Little Boy[/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sfgascott
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by sfgascott » Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:50 pm

Nice work CRS. I just put the Mugen shoes, springs, and nut on my eNVy flywheel in the leading configuration (aka backwards) and it works awesome. Hooks up great and no visible slippage.

Scott
[color=indigo][size=150]Bashing in Tuttle, Oklahoma[/size][/color]
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/sfgascott/banners/newbanner6.gif[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by CRSMP5 » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:01 pm

you can use any method for shimming it.. its just what i had.. and i suggest everyone should own a ofna shim kit for the 5$ it is you would be suprised on what stuff you get..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

iCow
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by iCow » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:26 am

part number or link?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tbill
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by tbill » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:37 am

savage #1 lrp z28, savage #2 mach .26, savage #3 wasp .26, savage #4 mach .26, savage X, Hellfire, GS storm,
2 nitro M/T's with a few mods, mini-T, 'magic wheels' Snap-On truck, xmod evo [firebird], LST2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

iCow
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by iCow » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:42 am

hmmm cool. i take it the hex screws are replacements for the POS phillips head screw (like the one broke off in my crank?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by CRSMP5 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:11 pm

yep

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChiefPig
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by ChiefPig » Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:12 pm

iCow wrote:ok i ordered the HPI 3 shoe kit, and I have the stock SS nut. So what you are saying I either need to shim the flywheel with 3 shims or get an HB lightning nut? I did notice the uneven wear pattern when I was installing the WASP, but thought nothing of it.

This could explain a lot of issues with slippage.

My shoes should come today, so exactly how many shims and what kind do i need?

I don't see why the HPI 3 shoe would not work with the stock SS pilot nut. The 25 RTR uses the same pilot nut and the same 3 shoe setup. So, if you follow the instructions of the 25 RTR, it should go in without additional shimming. Actually, the setup is the same as the SS 2 shoe - collet, flywheel, nut, shim, bearing, bell, bearing, brass bushing, screw. No extra shim before the collet or after the flywheel. It seemed to work for me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tbill
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by tbill » Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:39 pm

chief, the envy flywheel lacks the raised boss on it that the nut butts up against, thus the need for a shim to get the shoe springs in line with the nut groove.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by CRSMP5 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:14 pm

:wink:

Link:
BBcode: