How to install a eNVy flywheel...

Manufacturer of High Performance Aftermarket Hop Ups for the Savage

Moderator: Moderators

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by CRSMP5 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:28 pm

Thanks tbill...

ok, you have the clutch shoes on, but when you put the clutch bell on the bell won't turn? is this what is going on? i have the feeling that you are also useing the rather thick brass spacer on the end of the clutch bell?

if this is the case, you will need a shim kit if you don't have one already. you may need to add shims between the flywheel nut and bottom of the clutch bell, then when you get the bell shimmed so it does not hit the top of the shoes, you will need to add a shim or two to the end of the crank on the outside of the clutch bell bearing, and then use a small diameter one on the screw that goes in the end of the crank.

i bet you are in effect pressing the clutch bell onto the top of the shoes and it's all binding up, or the brass is too thick and binding on the outer bearing.

if you still have trouble, i will put the clutch back on my .26 and take close up pic's for you.

my set up, flywheel with pilot nut,

one shoe,

two shoes,

three shoes,

here is how the bell would fit with NO shims,

shims [number needed will depend on the bell],

end of crank, i used two shims, and a small washer on the crank screw to hold it all on, and i get the needed in/out movement,

hope this gets you sorted out,

~tbill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChiefPig
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by ChiefPig » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:15 pm

tbill wrote:chief, the envy flywheel lacks the raised boss on it that the nut butts up against, thus the need for a shim to get the shoe springs in line with the nut groove.

Oh, so that's the main diff...I see now...I just couldn't understand before why there was all the fuss about the shims :D I use HPI flywheels :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

X81SONICDIESEL
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by X81SONICDIESEL » Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:25 am

OK Guys so which 3 shoe do I order the envy or the hpi ..... don't want to have to rig it up too much . And which shoes/springs work best with the least amount of shims . Also which collet will I need
GAS ON !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by CRSMP5 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:46 pm

i say teh eNVy flywheel due to its diameter, just make sure you order a ofna shim kit and its really not a issue (need one if you plan to run any clutch bell other than HPI like ofna anyways).. it also comes with the collit..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cemeb4dk
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by cemeb4dk » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:09 pm

heres a question for you.

I just ordered a hyper 8. I have a new set of ofna aluminum 3 shoes the purple ones. I also have a Mugen clutch nut, so all i need is a flywheel. Due to my past experience you need to use certain clutch nuts with certain flywheels, so will the envy flywheel work for me or should I get the Mugen. Flywheel space is not a factor due to that I have the New Era TVP's and there is a cut out for flywheel already.

Thanks

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by CRSMP5 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:33 am

i think it will need a shim between the nut and flywheel for envy...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cemeb4dk
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by cemeb4dk » Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:23 am

Thanks ..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

savagepoint21
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by savagepoint21 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:44 pm

I cant get the stock flywheel off :oops: I have the nut off...any suggestions?
Savage XL
Traxxas Rally (Ken Block Edition)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tbill
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by tbill » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:53 pm

get a cheap battery terminal puller from NAPA or your local auto parts store, works like a champ for that.
savage #1 lrp z28, savage #2 mach .26, savage #3 wasp .26, savage #4 mach .26, savage X, Hellfire, GS storm,
2 nitro M/T's with a few mods, mini-T, 'magic wheels' Snap-On truck, xmod evo [firebird], LST2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

savagepoint21
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by savagepoint21 » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:18 am

how do i get the stock shoes on the the clips on so that is fits on the motor right? I cant do it...please post pics or sumthing
Savage XL
Traxxas Rally (Ken Block Edition)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sfgascott
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by sfgascott » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:26 am

There are a hundred ways to do it. None of them are easy. :lol: I use a small screwdriver to pry the spring into place. Experimentation will get you there, it's too hard to explain because everyone does it a little different. Here is a good article on installing clutches.

Scott
[color=indigo][size=150]Bashing in Tuttle, Oklahoma[/size][/color]
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/sfgascott/banners/newbanner6.gif[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by CRSMP5 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:02 pm

hows this for messed up.. on my s-25 i got new from a rtr 25 that came with the hpi 3 shoe set up.. above it was stated how hard the clutch springs are to fit on the flywheel and nut how thye do not clear the piolet shaft very well at all..

the quacks that built the clutch set up on this bent 2 of the 3 springs to clear the piolet shaft.. this WILL be a weak link and reason to break a spring.. thanks again who ever built this...

now hows this for *censored* poor design.. we have 2 pages stressing how nice the spring should line up on the nut, *censored* the hpi 2 shoe even did, but look at that :evil: but now that i have one i can point out how shimming i guess is not important.. BUT should be IMO..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrofueled14
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrofueled14 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:03 pm

This will really help me, because I'm going to be buying the eNVy flywheel/clutch set up for my Picco.26 whenever I get it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Savage187
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by Savage187 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:08 pm

If I use the Mugen Nut, Shoes and SPrings, will I still need to shim it?
What is the part numberfor the mugen items?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by CRSMP5 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:40 pm

its your personal option.. but i would shim it..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

EngineChauffer
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by EngineChauffer » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:28 am

I just got done installing the Envy vented Flywheel and clutch on my engine from my SS kit. If I installed the clutch shoes the "right" way, it would take 3 thick brass shims from the OFNA clutch shim kit to make the springs line up correctly. This threw my clutch bell so far back it didn't even cover all of the shoes. There was about 2-3 mm of them showing.

I ended up installing the shoes "backwards" and it lines up with just one brass shim and one stainless very thin one. They are still slightly off but if I would have shimmed the nut more I would have had close to the same problem as before. I am going to try it with the shoes backwards (since the springs that come with the envy setup seem very stiff) and if it doesn't handle well I am going to have to find another pilot nut (guess the mugen or something...)

I was told when ordering from here at the SC store that this would fit the proper way with the stock SS nut with hardly any shimming or problems. That is definately wrong. I will test this way and get back with my results after break in, probably sometime this upcoming week hopefully.

--Ed
Last edited by EngineChauffer on Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by CRSMP5 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:25 am

well as i noted above with the HPi 3 shoe set up it is not what id call shimmed properly stock from HPI.. :? so even though i like it to be shimmed right, HPi does not worry about it..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tbill
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by tbill » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:47 pm

also keep in mind that the envy flywheel does not have the raised boss around the hole where it slides on the crank [thus the shim deal], and i have noticed that ofna CB's are taller than HPI CB's, thus using an ofna gives more room for shimming the nut [just something i ran into and thought i'd mention].
savage #1 lrp z28, savage #2 mach .26, savage #3 wasp .26, savage #4 mach .26, savage X, Hellfire, GS storm,
2 nitro M/T's with a few mods, mini-T, 'magic wheels' Snap-On truck, xmod evo [firebird], LST2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links