Savage XLb/CD

Not your average Savage Hop ups. These are highly modified, with some home-made parts.

Moderator: Moderators

joonas
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Savage XLb/CD

Post by joonas » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:17 pm

Truck started as a Flux HP

New tvp-s from Alza
Comparison to stock
With vorza tires
And this happens when you use cheap batteries and overgear your truck

Still to come/
Leopard 4092 1300kv motor I have 9,10,11,13,15,17,20 pinions to choose from so I should be able to gear it right
new 40c lipos
HK-150A esc since my blur went up in flames

I have Trenchers on right now and I made a roof out of aluminium I will get a picture off that
tomorrow

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lfromsalem
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by lfromsalem » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:49 pm

Looking good. Bummer about your ESC. Do you have any plans to finish/paint the aluminum?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

joonas
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by joonas » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:39 am

I was thinking of leaving it as is or brushing it.

I am waiting so bad for the new esc and motor :) Right now I am running on 3s
I got a top speed of 58km/h with 11/48 gearing.

Now I know when to calculate for top speed to use 3,7volts instead of 4,2.

The calc gives 57,8 km/h on 3,7v and 11/48 gearing
So its pretty *censored* accurate like this.
But ofcourse if the speed increases the drag increases and it will not be as accurate.

A pic of the new roof which will protect the rear shocks
[img]https:///dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/owdyapz2zebqu3n/2014-04-13%2015.24.18.jpg[/img]
And front shock protector
[img]https:///dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/q8mg89ttgqjugof/2014-04-13%2015.24.10.jpg[/img]
This is what happened to the old aluminium roof
[img]https:///dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/cmzkgapohjzk1iu/2014-04-13%2012.51.58.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johny723
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by johny723 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:51 pm

it looks so hardcore it is almost scary!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

joonas
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by joonas » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:39 pm

Shock protectors are working incredibly well. I filpped the truck at 60-70km/h on asphalt.Lots of sparks but the shocks are fine.
Recieved the Hobbking ESC now. Stays cool with 9/48 gearing and trenchers. Only thing I don't like is that it jerks when taking off from a standstill. But It was only 50$ and it seems to handle high currents better than the orignal blur.

Also It is HUGE. I had to relocate it. Now it is under the roof.

This thing is so fun to drive on loose gravel. Cannot compare it to stock without CD. It drifts instead of lifting the front up. I will get a video soon.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

joonas
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by joonas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:37 pm

Tried some speed runs today. Got to 104.5 km/h with stock motor and it was barely warm.

17/48 gearing and vorza tyres.

Will try 20 and 25 pinion tomorrow to see if I can hit 110.

I have the Leopard 4092 1300kv but I don't have gears to gear it that high. Tried with Trenchers but those are not good for high speeds :)

Here is a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb572l4lsga0c ... .28.32.mp4

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ramos617
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by ramos617 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:25 pm

Haha I like the cut up bottle of Loctite, that's somethin I would do
Your savage looks gnarly though
Savage Flux XL: MMM/1800kv
2013 Savage X: F4.6
Hobao H4e: HW90a/10.5T

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

joonas
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by joonas » Thu May 01, 2014 11:13 am

Did some more speed runs today. Best I got was 113km/h and that was after about 10 speed runs so the batteries were not full.

Gearing was 20/48 Will hook up 2 extra batteries parallel that and 25t pinion should get me to 120km/h

This is my attempt of making it more aerodynamic. Will try with the same setup and see if it made it better or worse.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

joonas
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by joonas » Sun May 04, 2014 2:57 am

My attempt made it act like a plane :) At 98km/h the front lifted and I crashed into a curb. But everything else is fine exept the aluminum casing.

[video width=400 height=350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzR5MYeE8fM[/video]
Last edited by joonas on Sun May 04, 2014 10:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sun May 04, 2014 9:22 am

Your gearing was 20/48 on 6s and you pulled off 113kmh(70mph)? Sick  :twisted:

How hot was the motor and esc after the pass?
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

joonas
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by joonas » Sun May 04, 2014 10:15 am

[quote="LLkoolskillet";p="880381"]Your gearing was 20/48 on 6s and you pulled off 113kmh(70mph)? Sick

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sun May 04, 2014 3:05 pm

Man 77mph! Thats cookin, the fastest single stock motor run is 79mph. What are you trying to reach

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

joonas
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by joonas » Sun May 04, 2014 3:14 pm

[quote="LLkoolskillet";p="880387"]Man 77mph! Thats cookin, the fastest single stock motor run is 79mph. What are you trying to reach[/quote]

I am trying to reach 140kmh. 130 is very possible because 125 came with only a second or two on full throttle.

The hardest part is controlling it on high speeds. Maybe that is because of the worn out ballooning vorza tyres.

I will get the xo-1 ones soon then will try to get some better runs.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sun May 04, 2014 10:01 pm

I can help you go even faster if your willing to make some changes to your setup. Plus I wouldn't buy the X0-1 tires. Unless you can get them up to a temp over 119F there slippery and even harder to drive. Instead look for some 35 or 40 shore 1/8 foams.

I've reached 175kmh(108mph) at the moment with my truck.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

joonas
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by joonas » Mon May 05, 2014 1:46 am

[quote="LLkoolskillet";p="880397"]I can help you go even faster if your willing to make some changes to your setup. Plus I wouldn't buy the X0-1 tires. Unless you can get them up to a temp over 119F there slippery and even harder to drive. Instead look for some 35 or 40 shore 1/8 foams.

I've reached 175kmh(108mph) at the moment with my truck.[/quote]

Unfortunately I have already ordered the xo1 tyres. Will use them as long as they will last.
After that I'm going to try the foams. They must be quite a bite lighter aswell?

I could however use some help with the steering. Do you use the stock steering rack and servo?

There is alot of play in mine and the servo will not center. So I constantly have to correct the steering.

I am not going to reach those speeds :)
After I am done with the tork I will try leopard 4092(1390kv) on 9s and try to get to 150kmh.
,J

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Mon May 05, 2014 6:24 am

There not bad tires at all, just need heat to perform their best.

Steering, I use a stock bellcrank with Lunsford tie rods w/traxxas rod ends. I also use hellfire hubs and blocks BUT they will only work for RWD. To go faster and yet remain in control you need castor. The more the better. I would source out an hpi suspension kit. It adds 10deg of castor to the front and you can still keep the truck 4WD. The link between your servo horn and bellcrank, I use two small 3mm alloy shock rod ends and thread them together with a 3mm screw with the head cut off. I would also buy some 8mm diameter shims to put on the drive cups. This will eliminate the wheel slop. The key to keeping it straight is keeping everything tight. Some will tell you to add expo which lessens the input on the steering. Meaning a small touch of the wheel doesn't translate into a normal turn on the truck. You'll have to turn the wheel more to get movement out of the truck. Also your turning radius will be huge. I don't run any expo. I learned to drive my trucks without it and I have developed a feel for the trucks. If you have your steering perfect you don't need expo IMO. So try the suggestions and see if they work for ya. If you can't find parts I'm suggesting let me know.

Oh and don't freak out if you crash, it's a by product of going fast and learning to control these buggers at stupid speeds.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

joonas
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by joonas » Mon May 05, 2014 12:48 pm

[quote="LLkoolskillet";p="880406"]There not bad tires at all, just need heat to perform their best.

Steering, I use a stock bellcrank with Lunsford tie rods w/traxxas rod ends. I also use hellfire hubs and blocks BUT they will only work for RWD. To go faster and yet remain in control you need castor. The more the better. I would source out an hpi suspension kit. It adds 10deg of castor to the front and you can still keep the truck 4WD. The link between your servo horn and bellcrank, I use two small 3mm alloy shock rod ends and thread them together with a 3mm screw with the head cut off. I would also buy some 8mm diameter shims to put on the drive cups. This will eliminate the wheel slop. The key to keeping it straight is keeping everything tight. Some will tell you to add expo which lessens the input on the steering. Meaning a small touch of the wheel doesn't translate into a normal turn on the truck. You'll have to turn the wheel more to get movement out of the truck. Also your turning radius will be huge. I don't run any expo. I learned to drive my trucks without it and I have developed a feel for the trucks. If you have your steering perfect you don't need expo IMO. So try the suggestions and see if they work for ya. If you can't find parts I'm suggesting let me know.

Oh and don't freak out if you crash, it's a by product of going fast and learning to control these buggers at stupid speeds.[/quote]

Thanks for all the info!

I have read up on castor and it seems very beneficial for straight line stability. But I could not find any blocks that would work. The Hpi suspension kit is 170$ and I couldn't find the blocks separately.

Right now there is about 2-3mm slop in the steering. I will try replacing the links and ball joints with the ones you suggested.

I noticed that my rear hub carriers have a pretty big negative camber in the middle mounting position when the truck is lowered down. But when I use the outer mounting position it is pos camber.
So maybe I should get adjustable upper arms to limit the drag and tire wear.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Mon May 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Don't forget the shims. The shims I'm talking about are the same ones as the 8mm shim on the diffs.

As for the castor blocks I did come up with a way of adding more caster to the stock setup.

Pretty much you shave the ends down at angle of choice and drill a hole through the cut sides then slide the block onto the arm. Pretty easy and I would have used this on my twin but found the hellfire instead.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johny723
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by johny723 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:09 pm

If you buy aluminum hub carriers and mod them for more castor like LL did, they will hold up IMHO

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

joonas
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by joonas » Mon May 05, 2014 2:29 pm

[quote="LLkoolskillet";p="880415"]Don't forget the shims. The shims I'm talking about are the same ones as the 8mm shim on the diffs.

As for the castor blocks I did come up with a way of adding more caster to the stock setup.

Pretty much you shave the ends down at angle of choice and drill a hole through the cut sides then slide the block onto the arm. Pretty easy and I would have used this on my twin but found the hellfire instead.[/quote]

I already had the axles shimmed from the beginning. The wheels were terribly wobbly since new.

I actually thought about this today but I thought I can't make two sides exactly the same and that would make things even worse.

Have you tested this? If you have then I might go down this route.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links