Savage XLb/CD

Not your average Savage Hop ups. These are highly modified, with some home-made parts.

Moderator: Moderators

joonas
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Re: Savage XLb/CD

Post by joonas » Mon May 05, 2014 2:31 pm

[quote="johny723";p="880417"]If you buy aluminum hub carriers and mod them for more castor like LL did, they will hold up IMHO[/quote]

Can you recommend any specific ones? I know that the integy rear carriers are extremely tough. They survived so many crashes on that truck but I have heard that other integy stuff is not so good.

I found those from GPM I know they make extremely strong diff gears so perhaps those are good aswell...
https://www.asiatees.com/display?HPI-Sa ... x&id=45637

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johny723
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by johny723 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:02 pm

I was not referring to anything specific, just some carriers made of aluminum, because the mod  you will have to do will weaken them and no plastic parts will be strong enough to stay in one piece in a crash after you have modded them that way.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Mon May 05, 2014 8:29 pm

I'm not talking about shimming the axles. I'm talking about pulling the drive cup out that the wheel mounts to. Place between 2-3 shims on the shaft of the cup and mount them back on. Make sure that when you tighten the wheel down that it still spins freely but there's little to no slop

As for my modded blocks, no I haven't tried them but using a ruler and drilling a pilot hole first you can mess it up.
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

joonas
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by joonas » Wed May 07, 2014 12:44 pm

Made some new bigger battery boxes so I don't have to run two batteries on top of each other anymore. They look rough but they get the job done and also offer some protection to the batteries.

New boxes weigh 180g each.
Stock boxes are 105g each.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

joonas
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by joonas » Sat May 10, 2014 4:56 pm

I got the XO-1 wheels and boy are they sticky!!!

It was wet outside but I have less patience than a little child so I went out and tested them anyway.
Once they heated up a little they were extremely grippy even on wet and cold asphalt. I can't imagine what kind of grip they offer on dry asphalt.

When I got them I was a little suprised about the hex on them. I did not know that traxxas has a different one. So I used a dremel to sand away the extra material and now it sits in there very nice and tight.

They do weigh a little more than the Vorza tyres I was using before but its nothing that bad.
538g for the XO1 and 380 for vorza. Just to compare Flux stock gt2 tyres are 1038g

Also made a adjustable rear upper arm to get rid of the negative camber. Right now I set it up for zero so I should get maximal straight line grip.

I have some problem with the suspension. I weighed the weight distribution on the wheels and rear left wheel is at around 2000g and rear right 1000g. I am guessing the left shock is slightly longer than the right.
I will have to open them up and measure exactly the same length tubes for them.

As soon as the weather permits and I fix the suspension issue I will go out and try to get 130 kph

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links