Project Ascendant 1:5 Flux speedster

Not your average Savage Hop ups. These are highly modified, with some home-made parts.

Moderator: Moderators

Ascender
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Project Ascendant 1:5 Flux speedster

Post by Ascender » Fri May 16, 2014 11:15 pm

And so it begins! I started work today on building my own speed-run Savage, Project Ascendant. A lot of credit goes to LLKoolSkillet, as I am blatantly steeling some of his ideas, and he has also been good enough to answer a few questions during the planning stage for this.

I won't start with a full list of parts, because some items still have to be made, and others are going to stay under wraps until after the first run. But here's a quick list of stuff in this post:

Traxxas/Castle Creations 1717 (1650kv)
ALZA center diff/motor mount
Hot Racing Differential case
Hot Bodies D8T lightweight center differential outdrives
Fly Ratio 35T Speed Run spur
Traxxas XO-1 34T pinion (for mockup only)
ALZA front dogbone for Savage X CD kit
TCS 5t front dogbone

Today, I began cutting, making a plexiglass template of the TVP to mock up the drivetrain. I'll use it as a guide when I cut my actual carbon fiber TVPs either on Sunday or next weekend. There will be a few cut-outs added later to pass wiring and cooling air for the motors. Note that the stock-length TCS TVP fits neatly between the bulkhead and the CD. This thing is going to be huge.

In the first pic, I hadn't shaped the top of the TVP yet.

[align=center][b]Black Cat II - Unleashed[/b]

[img]http://gonneville.smugmug.com/Hobbies/RC/Black-Cat-II/i-jPHSnrZ/0/O/IMAG0293-sig2.jpg[/img][/align]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sat May 17, 2014 8:41 am

Oh man  8O what do I see, but awesomeness!

I'm interested to see where your batteries will go.

Always down to help  :wink:
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

donyms
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by donyms » Sat May 17, 2014 11:34 am

That is going to be sick, I can't wait to see it come along.
[img]http://www.sleepyape.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/SC-Signature.png[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ascender
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Ascender » Fri May 30, 2014 2:49 pm

Well, I'm stalled, waiting on parts. I have bulkheads on order from FLM, but I've been waiting two weeks, and will likely be waiting another week. If I don't have them from RCMonster by next weekend, I'm going to raise some heck... Batteries are on order from Hobbyking, after a customer service experience that I would classify as "F###ing inexcusable". If Gens Ace would maintain their stock better, I wouldn't have dealt with HK at all.

I have the TVPs mostly cut, just need to add some slots for wiring, and a cut-out to fit around the bottom edges of the CD mount. I'll post pics later tonight. I'm also going to have to shave down one side of the skidplate I cut. Pop's new bandsaw seems to have a little bit of a wander, and it came out .5mm to wide to fit perfectly between the TVPs. Yeah, everything is coming along all kinds of wonderfully! Oh, to have a machine shop at my disposal...

Speaking of which, LL is helping me with a couple bits, one of which is a set of CEN GST-E Colossus axles that he's going to turn down for me, to fit in the Savage 8mm bearings. I know they're ridiculously heavy compared to the Flux dogbones, but my calculator says I'll be turning almost 7hp with this ESC/motor combo, and I'd rather not twist the head off a dogbone or crack an axle cup right in the middle of a run. I think the smoother action of a CVD will make up for the power lost to turning all that weight.

Finally, I've been talking with a tech at Castle Creations, and he is absolutely convinced that running this gearing, on this motor, with 7 cells, is going to turn my truck into a fireball. I guess I have more confidence in their products than he does.
[align=center][b]Black Cat II - Unleashed[/b]

[img]http://gonneville.smugmug.com/Hobbies/RC/Black-Cat-II/i-jPHSnrZ/0/O/IMAG0293-sig2.jpg[/img][/align]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johny723
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by johny723 » Fri May 30, 2014 5:38 pm

7s and 34/35 gearing in a heavy 4wd monster truck is not going to be easy on the electronics...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Fri May 30, 2014 6:29 pm

Man I can't wait to see some pics.

IIRC he's using the XL2 ESC so that will help keep things in check

He should just drop the 2028 in  :D