FLM savage x ss build

Not your average Savage Hop ups. These are highly modified, with some home-made parts.

Moderator: Moderators

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

FLM savage x ss build

Post by Sharkey_t » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:33 pm

been looking into an extended chassis for a while and discovered last night on flm's website than both my local hobby shops are flm dealers. decided to go into the closest one and talk to them about it, they told me they hadnt ordered in a couple years and they need a fairly big order. dissapointed i started glancing at the wall, and behind a few things i spotted a savage chassis kit, turns out it was a low cg extended flm kit, along with a skid plate, servo plate and a pair of servo mounts. i then glanced over and saw the discount box on the end of the counter and the first thing i pick up is a cen ff007 radio box (genisis). when i went to pay for the parts they said they had been hanging on the wall for quite a while, a customer orderd the flm parts and never picked them up, i suggested they give me a deal above my club discount and they agreed, so i ended up with 15% off. unfortunately i couldnt find a fuel tank on the wall thats going to work, they sold the mugen mbx5 tank a couple weeks ago.

so now starts my flm build ive been drooling over for quite a while now. the truck is a 4 year old savage x ss with a not so old picco p3 28. its got a 3 speed with high speed 3rd gear, reverse module, dual red fiber brakes, stock diffs, and xtm shocks (no idea what they came on). its got a hitec 625 throttle servo and a 645 steering servo for now.  ill get some current pics before i tear it down.

im going to get a few more parts for this build. i want the flm motor plate, and im going to need a couple more pairs of servo mounts. going to check out the other local hobby shop tuesday to see if they have that stuff on the shelf, they stock a lot more aftermarket stuff. i also need to figure out a fuel tank, seems everyone online is out of stock on the mbx5t fuel tank. any ideas for something thats going to fit with the cen radio box?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:01 pm

and now a few pics

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:35 am

got the truck torn down. looks like i need to pay a little more attention to this thing. one of the front control arms is split around the hinge pin, motor plate brace had a broken screw in it, and the motor plate is cracked in 2 places. looks like ill have to get the flm motor plate for sure now. ive decided that im going to go through the entire truck. i havent done much since i built it, i put the 3 speed and reverse module in within the first month of owning it, and properly shimmed the diffs and filled them with silicone oil when i built the truck originally. so most of the major components have been together for almost 4 years without being looked at.

i started with the transmission tonight. i discovered my reverse module was a little loose in the case. easy fix for it, i disassembled it the reverse module and drilled the 2 screw holes through the tranny case so it now is all sandwiched together, nice and solid.
i guess when i put the reverse module in i never shimmed the output shaft as it was quite loose. i spent a lot of time re-shimming everything, and i had to get real creative to get the mid shaft and lower shaft gears to line up perfectly. the way it was those 2 narrow gears were only about half meshed, no wonder people brak them. i actually had to take the e-clip off the end of the middle shaft and grind the end of the shaft down to get a perfect mesh. the end result out of 2 hours of work was a very smooth transmission.

i pulled the front diff apart, it still looks like brand new. turns out the fluid i had it them leaked out, no real surprise. unfortunately i ripped the gasket on the diff so its gonna spend a few days in pieces.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Osnitro
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Osnitro » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:33 am

Keep us posted, great build...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:14 am

started mocking the truck up tonight after getting the diffs rebuilt. i had a good look at the servo plate and radio box, i figure with some modding i could get the radio plate around 5/16" lower than flm intended it, allowing me to drop the radio box and fuel tank down in the chassis for an even lower center of gravity. i doubt its going to make a noticeable difference, but i think ill do it anyways, just to be a little different.

im needing some input on what fuel tank to run with the cen radio box. i see most go with the mbx5t fuel tank, however im having a hard time finding one in stock. whats the difference between the mbx5 and mbx5t tank? anyone have any other options that would work? i was looking at a durango 408 tank, however the offset lid would have to hang over the side of the chassis.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:52 pm

checked out my other hobby shop, they have nothing in stock. ended up ordering the flm motor plate, a pair of servo mounts, steering link and a new steering servo from stormer hobbies (only place i could find that stock flm stuff. where is everyone else getting their flm parts?). bought an mbx5t fuel tank from ebay as stormer didnt have it in stock. i still need another set of servo mounts for the reverse servo, however thats no big deal to make. im going to experiment with a mini servo for reverse, ive got a couple spares out of an old helicopter. it doesnt take much to move the reverse lever, should be enough torque for the job.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dragonbat13
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by dragonbat13 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:04 pm

I ordered my FLM stuff from monsterrc.  Havent gotten it yet.  As far as the diffs.  I just threw the gasket in the weeds and used some rtv on the mating surfaces.  Worked just fine.
Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:09 am

amazingly enough my lhs had gaskets in stock, along with shims. got them all rebuilt and filled with fresh 50k and 30k oil.

did some work on it tonight. ive now got the radio tray mounted, right around .300" lower than flm intended it to be. i used the flm servo plate, its bolted right to the top of the steering posts. i made some short brackets to bolt the front of the tray to the frame, and a full size cross brace to tie the chassis together and bolt the tray down in the back. i still need to notch the servo tray out to clear the tranny case. here is a pic. its a little dark but it shows what ive done. more pics to come later once i finish cutting the plate.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dragonbat13
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by dragonbat13 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:43 am

Why do you have to notch the servo plate for the tranny.  I am about to do this type of build and didnt know anything about that.  Is it because of the reverse module?
Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nitronly
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by nitronly » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:18 am

I got my flm stuff from stormer hobbies.
This is my LHS where I got the tank and mounts, I believe you can order it there
http://shop.eliminator-rc.com/4944925014635.html

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:56 pm

[quote="dragonbat13";p="824791"]Why do you have to notch the servo plate for the tranny.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:36 am

got the plate cut. for those that know the flm mid tank setup, you guys will recognize what ive done and why.
like i said before, had i put it together with the brace on top of the steering posts like flm intended, everything bolts together with none of this. i just saw a way to lower the center of gravity. it may not do much in the end result, however its a low center of gravity tvp set, may as well try and do as much as possible.

onto other things, i got my servo mount built for the reverse servo. there isnt a lot of room for a full size servo, nor is it really needed. im using an eflite ds75 sub micro servo from a blade heli. its good for around 20 oz/in of torque, it seems like its plenty to move that little gear in the reverse module.

tomorrow night i hope to section the radio box. with where the radio tray sits cutting the notch in it is sort of pointless, only the lid itself would hang over the tranny, so im planning to section around 3/8" out of the box.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:51 am

im about half way done the radio box. here is a couple quick picks i snapped along the way

what i did here was use 1/4" tape wrapped around the radio box. i then cut on either side of the tape, this removes 1/4", plus the thickness of the blade (roughly 1/16") on either side of the tape line. the end result was this
a radio box that in 3 pieces. had i done it perfectly i would have been able to slide the 2 pieces together with very little gap. it didnt go perfect and i had to do some filing to fit it, but the end result was a radio box thats 3/8" shorter waiting to be put back together
i glues the box in a few spots with thick ca glue while clamping both pieces to a piece of aluminum. once cured i removed it and used 5 minute epoxy to fill the gaps and hold it together. not shown is the lid, once the epoxy on the box was dry i fit the lid on the box and stuck the lid together. once it was cured enough i took it apart again, put epoxy on the inside of the lid and box and am letting it cure overnight.

tomorrow ill start to clean up the epoxy, once im done nobody will know it was shorted. or that it was a cen part

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:07 pm

got it sanded out out today, once i get a coat of paint on it nobody will ever know what happened to it. i still have to finish the lid, it wasnt quite strong enough so i re did it with a brace on the underside. the epoxy isnt quite cured enough to sand properly.

and it is all mounted. 2 screws in the bottom plate and 1 from the chassis, seems plenty strong. im unsure yet if im going to put the charge plug through the box or not. its easy enough to open this radio box up to grab it, but its sure nice just plugging the charge lead in.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:51 am

starting to come together now

i got the fuel tank yesterday and as you can see its mounted. ive put the old engine plate in for the time being so i could mock up the throttle servo. ive got most of the fab work done, just need to pull it back apart and do the finish work on everything ive built and i should be able to start screwing it together. still waiting on the rest of my parts, but should be able to get most of the truck together before they show up.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dodgedude
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by dodgedude » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:52 am

Its looking good for sure Sharkey, I like what you did with the Mid tank plate, Good thinking :wink:. You managed to sit it probably 1/8th inch lower than mine, Im curious to see how your steering servo sits. On my truck the servo is not mounted to the plate so it sits very low, I actually lucked out and it fit just behind the skid plate cross brace.

Chopped CEN tank with charge lead. My Cen box mod did not turn out pretty either, I ended up using a black Jiffy Marker to cover up the glue, it works decent from a distance 8)  :lol:
[img]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/Dodgedude780/avatar-1.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.savage-central.com/Evo-Forums_-_file_-_viewtopic_-_t_-_93901_-_start_-_0.html]Big Blue[/url]......Soon.....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:17 am

my steering servo will mount very close to where yours is. im using the flm servo mounts, however ill be mounting the servo under the mounts, not on top of them. this lowers the servo enough where the horn will clear the plate, and it will sit just above the skid plate.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:48 am

got the truck mostly together

ive just got the throttle/brake linkage to do, along with get the shocks bolted back on and fit the body.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:01 am

got a few more things buttoned up tonight

throttle brake linkage
it didnt turn out the greatest, i usually have a bunch of linkage bits in my toolbox but once i started i found how low im getting on that stuff. i may re-do it down the road, but itll work alright.

there was the discussion this past week about headers, figured id post a pic of the header im going to try
its a header i had on my big block nitro tc3, no idea what its actually from, i think its a boat piece. it measures exactly the same length as the 4.6 header, but should in theory flow better. figured id try it out and see.

a couple of other mods ive been running
the front swaybar was one of the first mods i did, right after steering bellcrank bearings. its 1/8" music wire. yes its big, i come from onroad racing and couldnt stand not being able to take a corner at more than 3mph without rolling. it really helps keep the truck stable during off power corners. im going ot have to play around with some other swaybars now as im sure with the longer chassis and 1/2" offset wheels i have been running i wont need such a large swaybar. in the pic you can also see the shocks. im not 100% sure what they are, came on another project, i think they are xtm. with longer shock bottoms they fit will, the truck is a little lower however it still jumps nicely. thought of some big bores but these work quite well.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dodgedude
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by dodgedude » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:28 am

Its really coming together man :D looks good.

Are you planning on de-annodizing the purple parts? Once I went XL I couldn't stand looking at the purple behind the engine.
Easy Off Oven cleaner works great, but still needs a polish after.
[img]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/Dodgedude780/avatar-1.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.savage-central.com/Evo-Forums_-_file_-_viewtopic_-_t_-_93901_-_start_-_0.html]Big Blue[/url]......Soon.....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links