Savage XL Brushless 5T Conversion

Not your average Savage Hop ups. These are highly modified, with some home-made parts.

Moderator: Moderators

Stew
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Savage XL Brushless 5T Conversion

Post by Stew » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:09 pm

My latest project has been to take a stock savage XL and convert it to brushless.

Originally, I had decided on sourcing parts from Kershaw designs, and ordered a substantial amount of parts from them, just to find that I personally found the quality to be awful.
Last edited by Stew on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stew
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by Stew » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:18 pm

So, after that mess and I took a few months off and cooled down, I started planning again on how I was going to convert my Savage XL into a brushless Monster.

First order of business was to pick a motor, I ended up going with a Tacon 2000kv 4074 brushless motor.  It ended being more than enough power for what I needed, which was just perfect.  That original 5682 motor would have been massive overkill for a large 1/8 sized Savage XL.  I had tons of issues getting the truck to stay on the ground.  For a ESC, I'm using a Hobbywing 150A Pro.  Again, alot of people will accuse this ESC of being cheap chinese crap, but the ESC is super easy to adjust with the programming card, and it has just taken everything i can give it so far.

Had to cut a portion of the TVP out to get the motor mount to fit in there

Pinion to TVP clearance was very tight, ended up having to run much shorter gearing that I had originally wanted for the first week or so.

ESC I had mounted to the receiver tray in the receiver box.  Eventually, mounted it on the Flux ESC mount in the year

Running on 5S, the truck was an absolute monster, I mounted the battery inside the TVP which I thought gave it a cool look.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stew
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by Stew » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:19 pm

I have never been able to successfully post a video on this forum.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

This is a video my buddy took with his GoPro right after I got the Jeep body painted.  Jeep body lasted me a solid 2 days.

Sorry for the stupid laughing and banter back and forth.  

[youtube]
[/youtube]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stew
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by Stew » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:32 pm

From here........I decided to go big.  Started researching a 1/5th scale conversion chassis.  Ended up going with the TCS Crawlers TVP.  

At first I had Pro-line Trenchers for the 5T all the way around, but they were just too dang heavy.  I kept snapping axle shafts everytime I'd hit a bad jump landing wrong.  I have since switched back to the XL wheels/tires until I can find a lightweight replacement for the giant 5T wheel/tire combo.

Here are the 5T wheel/tire combo vs the Savage wheel/tire combo

Here is the 3rd broken XL axle shaft that I snapped.  These things get expensive.
Here is the 4th

And here is the entire assembly with the large tires on the scale.  Still not too bad considering the actual Baja 5T weighs in at a hefty 30 lbs.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stew
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by Stew » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:35 pm

[youtube]
[/youtube]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stew
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by Stew » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:06 am

New CEN wheel/tire combo.  

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Marwell
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by Marwell » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:16 pm

nice one, do you have a video of it running?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Arafebut94
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Arafebut94 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:24 am

How many cells will you run? Serum will respond to this in the morning , most likely. He is the resident savage conversion guru. You may find some info in a couple other posts as wellthere have been a couple savge brushless posts in the meantime.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links