My Flux xl build

Not your average Savage Hop ups. These are highly modified, with some home-made parts.

Moderator: Moderators

denzel
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

My Flux xl build

Post by denzel » Thu May 02, 2013 3:32 am

nothin that hasnt been seen before but i figured id share it anyway
Huge thanks to LLkoolskillet. with out his patience with my millions of questions i never could have got this done
also like to thank Dejan (toplakd) from alza raceing. again i asked a million questions and he happily answered them all. both great guys

started with stock hpi flux hp

Upgrades
TCS crawlers extended tvp's
RPM a arms on all four corners
HPI vorza flux hp center diff
Alza raceing center diff mount kit
Alza raceing carbon fiber bulkhead brace kit
Integy hd rear hub carrier
Proline 3.8 desparado wheels 1/2"offset with badlands tires
Integy rollcage (sucks welds broke twice already lookin for sumthin better)(took it off useing stock)
Integy 17mm hub adapters ( i had to drill and tap them myself to make them fit. i wouldnt suggest doin it i might go back to stock)
Tcs crawlers esc plate
FLM servo plate
RPM reciever box
Bad horsie shock socks
HPI heavy duty servo saver sping
Spektrum S6030 high torque steering servo titanium gears 278oz @ 6v
2 Venom 5000mah 35c 3s batteries (going to pick up a set of their new 5000mah 50C 3s also)

More parts came in
Last edited by denzel on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:36 am, edited 13 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Thu May 02, 2013 5:26 am

Wow dude that is sooo clean lookin. I'm curious to hear how the Alza setup works for you. Also if I might suggest something, I would try to add at least two chassis braces to the rear to help stiffen it up a bit.

I'm always down to help :)
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

denzel
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by denzel » Thu May 02, 2013 5:44 am

the alza set up is great, went in with out a hitch and runs perfct. i love the cd. looks cleaner and sounds so much better. lost a lil speed tho. gonna have to play with the gearing a lil. but its still plenty fast. as far as the chasis brasis i dont think its really needed. seems pretty solid. its already taken wot crashes and cart wheels. only thing that broke was the rollcage. that thing sucks. that being said tho i do wana get or make some kind of mount for the front and rear to mount the esc and reciever and also get rid of the big ugly box that in the front now. looks so much cleaner with out it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Thu May 02, 2013 7:30 am

There ya go, do the TCS setup for the esc and you have two braces to help stiffen up the rear and mount the esc in a safe place while lookin awesome!!!
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johny723
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by johny723 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:56 am

even 5mm thick chassis will bend without the motorplate or some sort of bracing. Put there some braces or the whole motorplate to make it stronger.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

toplakd
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by toplakd » Thu May 02, 2013 8:22 am

Hi.

I would add skidplate with braces at the bottom of the chassis, and one brace behind the motor.

Dejan
[url=http://www.alza-racing.com]ALZA-Racing[/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

denzel
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by denzel » Thu May 02, 2013 1:28 pm

[quote="toplakd";p="866331"]
I would add skidplate with braces at the bottom of the chassis, and one brace behind the motor.
[/quote]
What do you mean by one brace behind the motor? like just under it for support or actually attached to it some how?

[quote="LLkoolskillet";p="866326"]There ya go, do the TCS setup for the esc and you have two braces to help stiffen up the rear and mount the esc in a safe place while lookin awesome!!![/quote]
yea the tcs set up is wat i was thinkin also. any ideas about the front tho. sumthin i can mount the servo and reciever to? havent researched it so not sure wats out there.

[quote="johny723";p="866328"]even 5mm thick chassis will bend without the motorplate or some sort of bracing. Put there some braces or the whole motorplate to make it stronger.[/quote]
ill have to take your word for it but it does seem pretty solid with out bracing but deff cant hurt to make it tronger as added protection. i tried useing the stock motor plate but it doesnt fit with the alza cd

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

denzel
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by denzel » Thu May 16, 2013 3:38 am

new pics added build pretty much complete. not much more i can do

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ascender
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Ascender » Fri May 17, 2013 12:52 am

[quote="johny723";p="866328"]even 5mm thick chassis will bend without the motorplate or some sort of bracing. Put there some braces or the whole motorplate to make it stronger.[/quote]
ill have to take your word for it but it does seem pretty solid with out bracing but deff cant hurt to make it tronger as added protection. i tried useing the stock motor plate but it doesnt fit with the alza cd[/quote]

Actually, the one CONFIRMED case I've been able to find of someone bending the TCS plates was caused by having no cross-bracing in the rear. Granted, the guy's build was garbage in other ways, but the lack of bracing is what bent it. Even with my CF chassis, I'm not risking it; I picked up the PRC skidplate to go with the TVPs. It should add back all the strength lost by removing the motor mount plate. Plus, a skidplate will keep your pretty new CD from getting smashed into the dirt on every jump.
[align=center][b]Black Cat II - Unleashed[/b]

[img]http://gonneville.smugmug.com/Hobbies/RC/Black-Cat-II/i-jPHSnrZ/0/O/IMAG0293-sig2.jpg[/img][/align]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

denzel
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by denzel » Fri May 17, 2013 1:16 am

[quote="Ascender";p="867024"][quote="johny723";p="866328"]even 5mm thick chassis will bend without the motorplate or some sort of bracing. Put there some braces or the whole motorplate to make it stronger.[/quote]
ill have to take your word for it but it does seem pretty solid with out bracing but deff cant hurt to make it tronger as added protection. i tried useing the stock motor plate but it doesnt fit with the alza cd[/quote]
Actually, the one CONFIRMED case I've been able to find of someone bending the TCS plates was caused by having no cross-bracing in the rear. Granted, the guy's build was garbage in other ways, but the lack of bracing is what bent it. Even with my CF chassis, I'm not risking it; I picked up the PRC skidplate to go with the TVPs. It should add back all the strength lost by removing the motor mount plate. Plus, a skidplate will keep your pretty new CD from getting smashed into the dirt on every jump.
those comments were made before i added the tcs esc plate to the rear so its has braceing in the rear now. thats why i updated and added the pics lastnight to show that its finaly all done. nothin much else i can really do to it that i can think of.but yea i read about that somewhere on here also. i thought about getting the skid plate and still might but i try to keep it as light as possible and i kind of like the way it looks all open. i figure it lets the dirt and sand fall out instead of build up inside like if it were closed off with the skid plate. and mine really doesnt bottom out. i can drop it from head hieght and the bottom doesnt touch the ground. but im thinkin about lowering it a lil bit so it will then.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

fr8cture
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by fr8cture » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:49 pm

I'm a bit late but nice Savage really liking the red tvp's. I wanted them but someone stole the last set from under my nose. Maybe it was you. ;)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

denzel
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by denzel » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:45 am

lol mybad if it was. I originally wanted the blue but they weren't in stock and I didn't feel like waiting

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

fr8cture
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by fr8cture » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:58 am

It's fine. TCS told me it would be 2 moths until they got more and that they would have new colors so I'm curious about that. I just got boring old black for now. :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Theoneuafter
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by Theoneuafter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Nice build man!
What size gears are you running?
Im going to be doing this build over the cold New Jersey winter! lol

What did you find that wirks the best with the stock motor??
Thanks!
[b]Savage FLUX HP
Traxxas Stampede VXL 4x4[/b]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

greywolf123
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by greywolf123 » Sat May 30, 2015 6:37 pm

Before I seen this post, I did just about the very same thing. I did not go with the cd. Very curious about how you got the servo plate to mount. I had to enlarge the holes in the front of the TVP to get the front brace to mount to the steering post and cannot get the rear brace to mount without drilling new holes in the TVP. How did you do it?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Caretaker
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Caretaker » Sun May 31, 2015 3:03 am

Nice buildup Denzel.  Looks like a tough rig.    The colors really pop..  

Can you tell me the exact size of the RPM receiverbox in mm's please..
\m/ (-_-) \m/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

denzel
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by denzel » Sun May 31, 2015 3:38 am

[quote="greywolf123";p="886017"]Before I seen this post, I did just about the very same thing. I did not go with the cd. Very curious about how you got the servo plate to mount. I had to enlarge the holes in the front of the TVP to get the front brace to mount to the steering post and cannot get the rear brace to mount without drilling new holes in the TVP. How did you do it?[/quote]

Honestly it's been awhile since I built it so I kinda forgot how I did it. Its a lil foggy but I think I did have to drill holes in the tvps. And im pretty sure there is a write up or template on here sum where of exactly of to do it. Hope that helps

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

denzel
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by denzel » Sun May 31, 2015 3:43 am

[quote="Caretaker";p="886023"]Nice buildup Denzel.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Caretaker
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Caretaker » Sun May 31, 2015 3:45 am

I couldn't find it after 12 sites.  That's why I asked you ;) :)
\m/ (-_-) \m/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

denzel
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by denzel » Sun May 31, 2015 3:48 am

[quote="Theoneuafter";p="874174"]Nice build man!
What size gears are you running?
Im going to be doing this build over the cold New Jersey winter! lol

What did you find that wirks the best with the stock motor??
Thanks![/quote]

lol a lil late sorry I didn't see this till now. I forget wat gears I'm runnin but if u still need to know I'll look and let u know.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links