Sharkey's savage octane

Not your average Savage Hop ups. These are highly modified, with some home-made parts.

Moderator: Moderators

OLDSCKOOL
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Re: Sharkey's savage octane

Post by OLDSCKOOL » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:54 pm

That is so sick..........what type of speeds are you thinking it will achieve?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GhostbikerNL
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by GhostbikerNL » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:56 am

nice! good job sharkey!
Savage Tcs XL Flux, ma1n5t cage, Alza brace kit, hpi suspension conversion kit, and mods of the great SC!

Savage XL k4.6, bp flux diffs, home made hinge braces and other mild mods

Feel free to ask there's Savage central for!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jmcn_r
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by jmcn_r » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:08 pm

First post in awhile, lifes been crazy.

Just had to say big respect to Sharkey for the way the project is going so far! Keep it up man.  
Also happy to see HPI starting to finally shed some more light on there Octane, thought it had gone the way of some of the other HB/HPI D8 and D4 projects recently. Hopefully if the Minister of Communication (SV ;) handles those press releases to HPI then maybe you guys even get a reward Octane to play with from them when this is all over.
Back to the Future, and another round of RC Hobby addiction!!!
[color=green]BANNED Racing[/color]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:43 am

been slowly working away, this project is just fighting me something fierce. i tried to cut some parts on the weekend, had issues drawing them, computer crashed after 2 hours of work and lost a lot of data. next day i head to my friends place to cut them out, i lost my thumbdrive somewhere along the way so wasnt able to. went out monday evening after work, the drivebelt on the mill broke on startup (we have never had belt issues, and as a result dont have a spare). managed to use an o-ring as a belt, but had to turn the feeds way down, resulting in what should have been about 45 minutes of cutting taking 4 hours. with all the setbacks im thinking im not supposed to have a savage octane.

the good news is despite the setbacks i have the new parts on the truck and its going back together. i started with redesigning the engine plate to address a number of issues, new engine mounts to go with the plate, and starter setup number 832. had to machine a new flywheel as well for the new starter setup.

so the new starter setup. im using a 47 tooth steel spur gear that ive machined to fit the flywheel to act as a ring gear. i then made a pedestal to mount a bendix gear, its a 16 tooth 1m pinion gear. ill have a long starter shaft, when i push in it will engage the starter gear, once the roto start is removed the gear pops out. should solve most of my issues.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:50 am

well its all back together now, ready for some more testing

i tried out the starter setup after making an extra long starter shaft, seems to work ok, but my battery was dead for my starter. ive made a couple other changes as well, ive geared it down a little for the time being, till i can get some stuff sorted out. ive also eliminated the slipper clutch i had built, again, just too much going on, easier to eliminate it for the time being. and after 2 months of waiting my hobby king order showed up with some batteries, so i have a new turnigy LiFe 1700mah pack to power the radio and ignition.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johny723
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by johny723 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:36 pm

interesting solution! simple and effective!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:56 am

it is really quite simple, and aside from a few teething problems, it seems to be working alright.

so some good news finally, i got to actually drive the truck a little the past couple of days. did a bunch of tweaking, got it to idle not too bad. i am still having heat issues, i havent gotten a heat sink built quite yet, i did most of my idling using compressed air to keep the temps under control (not much pressure, just some flow was all it took). because of that i wasnt able to drive it much, but the little i got out of it tells me itll be fun. its got a pile of torque for sure. only a little blast in 1st gear because of the heat.

the heat sink is coming, i started it today. i milled all the fins off the head so i have a good flat surface to bolt the heat sink to. i got my hands on a chunk of 2 1/2" diameter by 4" long chuck of solid 6061 aluminum. i started trying to machine it, its just slightly too large for my lathe, so im going to have to find a bigger lathe to get this down to something i can work with.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Tue May 06, 2014 11:18 pm

i havent forgotten about this project, ive been picking away, however ive run up against an unsurpassable road block. i just cant come up with any reliable way of starting it. my best success lasts 2-3 starts before something breaks, and most of the time something in the starter setup breaks before i get the truck running. i knew a bumpstart engine in a savage was going to create a challenge in itself, however i didnt think id have this much difficulty. im sure everything ive tried would work with a smaller engine, however a 15cc monster with huge compression, i just cant build anything big enough to start it within the confines of a savage.

so that being said, im calling this project a failure. with the real octane right around the corner and the new losi xxl-2 gasser its lost its uniqueness and ive just lost the drive. im going to sell off the rolling chassis, and i may eventually put the engine into a buggy, or something i can bumpstart.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Wed May 07, 2014 4:50 am

Have you tried using a cordless drill to start it? Not exactly cheap, but I use a 24V Black and Decker on my nitro.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Wed May 07, 2014 8:52 am

its not the roto start itself, its the geardrive setup to the flywheel

Link:
BBcode: