Sharkey's savage octane

Not your average Savage Hop ups. These are highly modified, with some home-made parts.

Moderator: Moderators

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Re: Sharkey's savage octane

Post by Sharkey_t » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:54 pm

ive been slowly picking away at the truck for the past couple weeks. i got to machine some parts yesterday and now its really moving along.

the engine is now mounted in the truck. i machined a new engine plate, there is going to be no issues with this beast cracking, its .187" thick, or almost 5mm for your metric guys. overkill, more than likely, but i wanted something thicker than 3mm and we didnt have any stock in between. the engine mounts are machined out of 3/8". the flywheel was rather complex to model and machine, it has a keyway to keep it indexed on the crank, and a small keyway at that. because end mills small enough to do the job (3/32", or .09375") are short (typically less than 1/2" long) i had to finish cutting the keyway by hand. another thing you can see in the pics is i have the slipper clutch finished. a simple hub is all it took, it uses the original back plate, slipper pad, even the spring, washer and nut works just like it did stock.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

iwaslikedayum
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by iwaslikedayum » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Check out that gear mesh!

Perfect man.

Just like your projects before this...     professional.
[img]http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a526/iwaslikedayum/138981911153274_zps27f19f55.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tor_evo_20th
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Tor_evo_20th » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Lots of nice stuff.
Mine is slowly coming along.
[i]Savage Flux HP XL 6x6x6 Custom TVP
Savage Flux 4x4x4 Low CG Custom TVP
Savage 5B Gasoline Custom TVP(in orocess)
Savage 5.9 XL Low CG Custom TVP Midtank
D812 Tekno conversion w/ Tekin 2050kv
TCXX Just stock
TC-FD Steering mods[/i]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Additionalpylons
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Additionalpylons » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:44 pm

Wow it looks good. That engine plate is art I would proudly display it as desk art.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johny723
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by johny723 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:18 pm

simple and still beautiful!
Is it your work or did you have it made by someone else?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:51 pm

its all my design. a friend of mine owns a small cnc milling machine and runs a business based around it. i help him out a lot, and in turn i get to make my own parts. i cant take all the credit though, i do most of my own cad drawings, and he ends up looking at it and making it cooler (such as the lettering, or just minor changes).

for those that havent seen it, have a look at this link for my twin 4 stroke nitro xo-1 build. that was very intricate and challenging to design and build (still working all the bugs out), this savage is a piece of cake in comparison. modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=98934

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johny723
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by johny723 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:45 pm

I myself need such a friend. My my own project would be much easier :D

the xo-1 indeed looks like a nightmare!

BTW, could you take a few close-up pictures of the custom gearbox slipper clutch and the flywheel? They look very interesting.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:25 am

the xo-1 isnt so much a nightmare, it was really just complex. once i get the transmission figured out itll be good to go. i had some issues with it and had to redesign, still havent finished it, the savage has my attention.

ill get some more pics of that stuff when i have the truck apart again. right now im working on a set of throttle servo mounts and the starting system.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tor_evo_20th
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Tor_evo_20th » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:22 pm

Just saw a comment on other site
Savage octane

May be some thing to think about how to solve if this problem happen.
TCXX Just stock
TC-FD Steering mods[/i]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tor_evo_20th
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Tor_evo_20th » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:19 am

May I ask 1 question
The spindle speed for the CNC machine you use what is the RPM on the video clip you show us in X-01 project. And what size of the End mill 6mm? each step down how many mm each step down.
I need mine to run faster right now I run pretty slow due to too many end mill broken.
TCXX Just stock
TC-FD Steering mods[/i]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:57 am

the video in the other thread is just some engraving with a 30 degree infinite point engraving tool. generally i cut with a 3/32" or 1/8" 2 flute end mill. spindle speed is 12,000rpm.

as for feed rate and cut depth, it really depends. when we first started with that machine we started with what people recommended online and were breaking cutters. we slowed the feed rates way down and went to shallow depth of cut, around .030". its taken a long time but we are now doing .125" cuts with no issues. coolant is key, if you dont keep chips clear and a constant flow of coolant you will never get any speed in your cuts. and believe it or not, there is a lot in the drawing side of things that affects the machine. when your drawings are smooth and done right you wont have issues, however you get a drawing thats not right and you can easily break a cutter. most wont get how it works, i cant explain it, but all i know is we have to tweak drawings on production stuff till we get it so cutters arent breaking. right now we have a drawing that cuts 4 very similar pieces in one process, and the same one every time breaks a cutter.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tor_evo_20th
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Tor_evo_20th » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:42 am

Thanks for the information. I guess I have to try to get a bit more speed.
TCXX Just stock
TC-FD Steering mods[/i]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:31 pm

generally i dont find cutters break due to feed rate, at least when its not rediculously fast. most of the time its caused by cooling or the material moving around.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:02 am

with new pics of hpi's octane ive been rather motivated this past week to get this thing running. that being said, its almost ready to fire. i still have to mount the throttle servo and build the throttle/brake linkage, and the starter setup needs to be finished, but its close. if i buckle down after work tomorrow i might have it running sometime on saturday.

i went with the tried and true hitec servos, i run them in all my stuff. this time i decided to try out the 7954 for steering and a 7975 for throttle/brake.

being a gas engine its a good idea to have a remote killswitch, something the 1/5 scale guys here will know. its a little different on this engine than the larger scale ones, the ignition on this engine is cdi, it uses battery power to create the spark. the killswitch simply shuts off the power to the ignition box using a 3rd channel. the other box shown is the tach adapter. i run an airtronics mt4 radio, and i use the telemetry functions on my builds so i can properly monitor whats going on. instead of using the optical sensor with the mt4, the ignition box has a tach output wire, and when used with the tach adapter it plugs right into the receiver.

yes im going to run the can muffler, for now. i was going to send the engine off to robin at ercm before running it, however i decided im going to run it and see how it works first. id like to see what sort of gains robins magic actually gives, and id like to work out any small bugs that may pop up.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mxking1712
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by mxking1712 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:56 am

looks awesome, i really am looking forward to some running footage. truly an awesome machinist and very skilled person.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johny723
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by johny723 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:38 am

I dont like the way the pipe is attached to the motor. No flexibility at all, it will alter the gear mesh or the motor mounting every time it gets it.
I cant believe one man with resources, budget, and time limited to "hobby" can build a petrol-powered savage within a few weeks, in comparison to the HPI, whose professional engineers have not been able to put it together after like 2 years...
Good job Sharkey!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:01 am

It's hard to see in the pic, have you checked the clearance between the pipe and the shocks through the full suspension travel? It looks like the shock may hit the pipe when the suspension is compressed.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GhostbikerNL
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by GhostbikerNL » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:13 am

it almost looks like the guys at hpi are lazy :lol:

again, great build!!
Savage Tcs XL Flux, ma1n5t cage, Alza brace kit, hpi suspension conversion kit, and mods of the great SC!

Savage XL k4.6, bp flux diffs, home made hinge braces and other mild mods

Feel free to ask there's Savage central for!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:05 pm

thanks for the compliments guys

there is enough room to the shocks, just. and im not a big fan of the muffler solid mounted to the motor like that either. this setup isnt staying, that thing came with the motor and im going to use it to get a baseline. i dont plan to be taking jumps and beating on it hard with that thing on there.

i wouldnt call the guys at hpi lazy, what hpi is doing and what im doing is a different ballgame altogether. im taking a nitro savage and putting an off the shelf airplane motor in it. hpi is basicly taking the bulkheads and suspension and building a whole truck around it, including having an engine made specifically for it. there is a ton of r&d in making a production truck, and its not like they are building something thats already been done, they have to develop an engine and a truck together, usually one or the other is getting built. even so it has been a long time, 2 years since it was initially shown and likely a year prior to get it to that point, but they also went through a financial crunch and merging with hobbico, so it likely went on hold for a while.

really what im doing isnt that complicated as far as making all the parts. everything is machined in 2 dimension, holes are drilled and tapped by hand. doing things this way makes it way faster. on our machine we can go from idea to a part in your hand in as little as an hour, depending on how complex it is. to design, machine, and install the conversion parts, id bet i have only around 25 hours into it. i started this project at the beginning of december, but didnt get to cut parts till a few weeks ago. had i not been so busy with work over christmas, this truck would have been running long ago.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Additionalpylons
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Additionalpylons » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:05 am

That truck looks amazing 8O . It's a lot slimmer than hpi's version. I'm really curious to see just how that motor performs as is compared to hpi's.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links