Sharkey's savage octane

Not your average Savage Hop ups. These are highly modified, with some home-made parts.

Moderator: Moderators

Tor_evo_20th
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Re: Sharkey's savage octane

Post by Tor_evo_20th » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:12 am

i love the exhaust. nice.
[i]Savage Flux HP XL 6x6x6 Custom TVP
Savage Flux 4x4x4 Low CG Custom TVP
Savage 5B Gasoline Custom TVP(in orocess)
Savage 5.9 XL Low CG Custom TVP Midtank
D812 Tekno conversion w/ Tekin 2050kv
TCXX Just stock
TC-FD Steering mods[/i]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:42 am

i know its been a while, just hope you guys dont think ive given up on this. ive had a couple setbacks i had to figure out, then ended up having to build another r/c. we have been doing R&D on an scx10 scaler chassis, we had a couple people testing it but it just wasnt working out with them so i ended up buying enough parts and putting a scaler together. i really dont have much interest in scalers, however there is a huge following were i am and they want custom parts. we are really close to having a production chassis set. as a result i had to put the octane on the back burner.

so i got a couple things figured out now on the truck. first off, ive got my throttle stop built so the truck will idle. pretty simple, does the job

now for the starting system. i actually went through a couple designs on this. my original plan was a bumpstart setup. i built a handheld piece that had a rubber wheel, it hooked onto the top chassis rail and i could pivot it against the flywheel. the ribber wheel was to be driven by a roto start. the concept was good, however this huge engine has so much compression that the roto start didnt have enough torque to turn it over. bringing the cordless drill into the mix destroyed the rubber wheel in no time and i wasnt able to get enough grip on the flywheel to get enough rpm for it to fire. i ended up right back at the drawing board and came up with something completely different.

basicly what ive done is take a savage ring gear and attach it to the flywheel and put the pinion on the engine mount. i had to go back and machine a register into the flywheel, i had to machine the center of the ring gear out to fit on the register and bolt the ring gear to hold it on. i machined a new engine mount to support the pinion. there is no one way bearing in this setup, the pinion gear will be buzzing away a 3.3 x engine rpm. there is really nothing i can do about that, ill just have to see how it holds up.

i have yet to get this beast running for more than a couple seconds. i tossed some gas in i had from last season of running my 5th scale. it was pretty stale. i had to play around with the crank sensor to get the timing in the right spot. i ended up getting it to fire for a couple seconds however never got much farther with the stale gas. now i plan on building a starter shaft with a one way bearing, however because i was to excited to hear it run i tried starting it before i got the shaft built, and the end result was broken roto start gears. ive bought the new style roto start, once it gets here ill try some fresh gas and get this beast running. and no, a drill just wont turn it fast enough. with the reduction ratio in the ring and pinion i end up with less than 700rpm at the crank with my drill on high. compare that with the roto start on 2s lipo, the crank hits around 2000rpm.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Additionalpylons
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Additionalpylons » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:38 am

Your ingenuity is amazing. Thanks for the update

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GhostbikerNL
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by GhostbikerNL » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:06 am

that looks sick! 8)

hope it works wel!

we want to see this thing in action hahah :twisted:  ( at least i do)
Savage Tcs XL Flux, ma1n5t cage, Alza brace kit, hpi suspension conversion kit, and mods of the great SC!

Savage XL k4.6, bp flux diffs, home made hinge braces and other mild mods

Feel free to ask there's Savage central for!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:49 pm

trust me, i cant wait to see it in action. im still trying to get it running. new roto start showed up and i managed to break it already, thankfully a different piece of it so i was able to make 1 out of 2.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tor_evo_20th
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Tor_evo_20th » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Screwdriver

I use this as a starter on my XL. Should be fast enough and a lot of torque.
TCXX Just stock
TC-FD Steering mods[/i]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:24 pm

It's nowhere close to enough rpm. The thing is the ring and pinion used is 3.30 gear reduction, making that drill (2500rpm max) turn the engine at around 700rpm.

I have another solution in the works, my first tests showed it'll work but I need to machine some more parts

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Additionalpylons
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Additionalpylons » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:35 am

I was wondering could you retrofit an airplane starter to work. If you haven't already thought of it. or does it not have enough rpm's to turn the motor over.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXL398&P=0

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:58 am

this week ive tried quite a number of things. i ordered a new roto start, although i really should call it a nitro start, it was the new design one that now comes with the latest rtr savage f4.6. its in no way compatable with the old roto start system. i discovered the new roto start system doesnt use a gear drive on the back cover of the engine, its direct to the crank. this means 2 things, first it turns the wrong way for the old roto start system, and 2, the gear reduction is all done in the roto start, through a planetary drive. honestly, the thing felt like a pile of junk, sounded terrible, and worst off wouldnt hardly crank my engine at 350rpm.

next i tried taking my big ofna starter box apart, this uses a big 12 volt motor similar to the airplane starter. the motor has tons of torque and spun the motor without issue, however it again didnt have the rpm needed to crank it over. i figured if i got an airplane starter and built an overdrive gear box it would have the torque needed. i checked my lhs, they had one airplane starter, however it was $140, way more than i wanted to spend.

so i ended up coming up with another plan. i picked up a traxxas summit 775 brushed motor, made a quick starter shaft and tried it. the motor on 12v has a ton of torque and spins the motor with ease at around 2500rpm (crankshaft speed). i took the new nitro start, gutted the motor and gearbox and after some dremeling the 775 motor fit perfect. i havent had a chance to make a proper starter shaft with a one way bearing yet, once i get that done ill have a starter setup that will work.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tor_evo_20th
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Tor_evo_20th » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:20 am

Just heard first shipment from factory coming soon.

Octane
TCXX Just stock
TC-FD Steering mods[/i]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Additionalpylons
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Additionalpylons » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:14 am

Sharkey I'm glad you figured out your starting problem. I think that figuring out the problem to something that no one has done before is half the fun, and all the reward when it works. :!:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:41 pm

oh its always rewarding engineering stuff and having it work out. its also a bit of a buzz kill when it takes 7 or 8 different failures before you come up with something that works. at this point i still dont have a working starter system, i just know what i need to do now.

well back to work on it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:35 am

Can you put a pull start on it?
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:15 pm

No because of it being an aircraft engine there is no provisions or easy way to put a pull start on.

I got the starter shaft built last night. It was late but I tried it out and it fired. Only ran it for a few seconds as it was 1030pm. Gonna play with it more tonight

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johny723
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by johny723 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:03 pm

you should borrow a few ideas from LL and build a twin-motor rotostart if that engine needs so much torque :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:36 pm

lol. i was actually thinking about using a picco 28 to start the gasser.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Additionalpylons
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Additionalpylons » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:53 am

Using a gas engine to start another gas engine 8O ... is the funniest and coolest thing I've ever heard :lol: .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:25 am

well its taken me a few weeks since i first tried to fire it, but its running now. it sounds like a beast , kind of a cross between a 1/5 scale gasser and a nitro engine. and yes, after some playing around i did drive it, however i didnt get to the end of the driveway, figured ill be nice to the neighborhood as it was 830pm. initial thoughts are one, im geared too high, and two, the heat sink head is the next thing i gotta build.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnLn8AbL ... tube_gdata[/youtube]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Additionalpylons
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Additionalpylons » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:40 am

It's alive :twisted: you're right it does sound nitro but it would probably sound different with a different exhaust.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:42 am

it would. it actually sounds more nitro like in the video than it does in person. also i was in my garage near a steel door, kind of echos off it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links