LIPO compatibility question

This forum is dedicated to discussion regarding the HPI E-Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

y7deluxe
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

LIPO compatibility question

Post by y7deluxe » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:17 pm

I have a DYN4925 Dynamite 4925 Tazer 15T ESC running with a NICD battery. I already had lipo chargers for my r/c helicopter and I was looking to purchase a LIPO for my r/c car. However, I just needed to know whether the ESC's have to be specially designed to handle the LIPO batteries. Also, if you know of any other problems I could run into that I'm not thinking about (LIPO having problems with the receiver or motor). If you have any recommendations for which LIPO battery I should purchase, please also post that. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sawmmie
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by sawmmie » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:14 pm

i aint much of a hard core electric car techy, but i got a assocaited rc18mt with a mamba 6800, and a 1700 mah 3 cell lipo, there is no way to run lipos with stock esc's, they have to be specially designed to handle those voltages and output of the battery, they also have to have the ability to tell when the battery is dying to notify you, soo yes, they do, and becareful as far as storage of them goes, make sure to be on top when u charge them, dont allow shorting out, and make sure that you charge then store, never store away after a long run, could cause a over discharge, ask kiz this stuff, he is good with electrics!

-Sawm-
Wanna mess?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cyeung
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by cyeung » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:58 am

Lipo battery will provide stable electric current (i.e. power supply) before it drops to 20% or 30%, but then the current drops quickly afterwards.  and the most serious issue about lipo is that the lipo life will quickly depreciate if you fully use up its power everytime, and also its temp will go up quickly if u demand for high currents.  i learn this from playing rc electric heli using lipo...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

KiZ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by KiZ » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:44 am

You can use a lipo with any esc, as long as there is some way of cutting off the power when the voltage drops to 3v/cell. Either if the esc has a built in LVC or if you get an external one. The current can be a problem if the motor tries to draw more than the esc can handle.. and you have to make sure to stick to the voltage limit on the esc too.
[url=http://www.kizzard.net/gallery/][img]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r56/kizzzard/gray-sav.gif[/img][/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links