Hump Packs in an E-savage

This forum is dedicated to discussion regarding the HPI E-Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

pavmentsurfer
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Hump Packs in an E-savage

Post by pavmentsurfer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:42 pm

I did a search and found only one comment that you can install 8.4 volt hump packs into an E-savage but youd have to cut the battery trays. Has anyone done this? Will the stock ESC handle 2 8.4 volt hump packs? I have a Traxxas stampede and have 2 8.4 volt hump packs right now. Im thinking about upgrading from the stampede to the E-savage but would like to use the batteries i currently have. (I know the Esavage sport comes with the batteries but I want more POWER).

Im pretty sure ill get comments about "dude, just go brushless and 11.1 lipo" or "just get an Savage Flux". These are not helpful comments as I do NOT have the money to go that route. I do have 2 2S lipo packs that id try and run as well. But I just really want to know how to run my 2 8.4 volt packs in an E-savage.
Thanks for the help
Pavmentsurfer
Current Stable Includes:
Savage XL
Ofna Ultra GTP 2 with Axial .28
Stampede VXL
70MPH S-Pede
Micro Rock Crawler

Check out Snowtraxtv.com and Dirttraxtv.com

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

xtremesavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by xtremesavage » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:35 pm

Dude just go brushless, or buy a flux,,,,,, :lol:

I cant find the specs of the ESC, if the Esc can handle 16.8 volts it should be OK. But really you wont notice that much more power. I have a stampede that I switch from 7.2 to 9.6 And I couldnt hardly tell a difference.

You need to do a test run, just temperarly mount them, zip tie them or something. Then run it & see if it what you want. Then run the 2 2s lipo's, you will be suprised of which one you like. Dont modify the box's until your sure you like how they perform.

But you need to find the ESC specs, (i cant find it) The instructions should say. also when running lipo there is no "cut off" so keep a close eye on them, or get an external one.
[img]http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n403/xtremesavage/newsig.png[/img]
Share knowlegde,,,Dont brag!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GCMRacing
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by GCMRacing » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:49 pm

you are right on the cutting the hole in the battery tray for the humps. Works well, and the truck really rips with that setup. The stock esc does handle it, but there are some things to watch for. Get a fan for the esc on 16 volts... it will need it. 2nd thing is to be aware that when both packs are fresh of the charger, the esc may blip into shutdown mode a couple of times just due to the high voltage, but after a minute of wearing down the batteries it's fine. It's a great basher truck in stock form. I've got tons of e-savage experience to back up my claims. And if your stock battery holders get wrecked beyond repair in the process of trying, I bet I have some here I can send you.
For close to the same money, you can get a brushless slash, which I would deem a better buy (if you are just looking for a 4wd basher that's smaller than the savage family), simply for dollar to value, but if you have an e-sav for a deal, it's a great truck.
You can also use lipos in a stock truck with lipo alarms attached, and have no worries.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

pavmentsurfer
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by pavmentsurfer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:46 pm

Excellent answers guys. Really appreciated. I dont have an E-savage yet. But I have the batteries. My concern was simply that if I bought the truck, which I may do, I wanted to know if I could run the batteries I have now. I currently have a Savage XL but after getting my Stampede I can honestly say im having more fun with the electric stuff than with the nitro. I love the way it sounds an dI really like the power but I can keep my electric truck in my back seat and run it any where, any time without any mess or hassle. Ill likely keep my XL anyway but having an electric Savage would be a perfect addition.
Thanks again.
Current Stable Includes:
Savage XL
Ofna Ultra GTP 2 with Axial .28
Stampede VXL
70MPH S-Pede
Micro Rock Crawler

Check out Snowtraxtv.com and Dirttraxtv.com

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links