New E-Savage owner with questions.....searched FAQ..........

This forum is dedicated to discussion regarding the HPI E-Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

palefacetsw
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

New E-Savage owner with questions.....searched FAQ..........

Post by palefacetsw » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:41 pm

Hey everyone, I'm Bob, and I just got my E-Savage RTR in Feb 2011. I have had some slight issues with battery charging, and was wondering what ya'll had happen with yours when it was new. I got mine, and charged the batteries according to the manual. I bought a small AC-to-DC wall converter to charge the batteries in my house(and save gas in my 2 real cars), and they seem to only charge about 45% and never warm up when I use the wall adapter, but seem to charge fully and get very warm when plugged into the cig lighter in my cars. Why is this? I have already warrantied one set of batteries through HPI, and I seem to be getting less and less runtime out of the new set as well...do I have to buy a new (indoor) charger AND new batteries?

It says don't charge anything but the GT 7.2v 3300 mah with the GT Escape, and vice versa, and I've seen pictures of E-Savages for sale with different chargers and batteries....so is that just something they put in the manual for more money in replacement parts or what? Can I actually charge different batteries with the GT Escape, or can I charge the GT 7.2 batts with an indoor charger? I'm sorry to pile so many questions into one post, but I figure you guys have lots more experience with E-Savages than I do....that's why I'm here.

I am active on several forums including my car club forum(Tricked Out Car Club), as well as a Neon Owners Club(neons.org), so I know that nothing sets a forum thread off like big pics....so here is what I have.

The disassembled E-Savage was given to me for free after the previous owner married it to a telephone pole at full speed....the Axial B-17 Betty body was on it at the time, the Integy lower a-arms and ST Racing Concepts uppers were on it at the time of the crash as well, the uppers were bent, the lowers lived to be installed on mine, so my only hop-ups are the Integy a-arms.....I have the Integy steering bell crank set as well, but I'm kinda leary about messing with the stock setup until it breaks.....I'm just scared of messing it up....the Proline Velocities and RoadRages were also given to me, but one has a wallered-out hub......

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cantkillthesavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by cantkillthesavage » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:55 pm

As far as the batteries, I would invest in a decent power supply or a new charger. If the batteries are new they will take a full charge. Also, you can charge those batteries with any nimh/nicad compatible charger, as well as charge different brand batteries with the escape charger. I use Dynamite chargers for all of my batteries, just my preference. There are lots of good chargers from other companies out there. This is what I use to charge my nimh batteries.
http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Defa ... ID=DYN4056
This charger can only charge one battery at a time, so may not be what youre looking for. As far as a power supply, I use this one.
http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Defa ... ID=DYN4055
I have been using this unit for close to four years, and it has worked flawlessly. Hopefully I was able to answer some of your questions. That being said, enjoy the savage and welcome to Savage-Central.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cdziak
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by cdziak » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Hey Bob, welcome to the site...I have the same charger as cantkill. Great for nimh packs, one at a time, but not super fast. I also use this charger for all of my packs (nimh & lipo) Venom Pro Charger +. Still only one battery, but more charging flexibility. I'm not sure if Hobbyking.com sells nimh chargers but that might be a decent place to check as well. Just check for us warehouse items while looking at hobby king (faster shipping).

Also, I know that the E-savage ESC is rated for up to 7-cell 8.4v packs. You may want to consider getting some 7-cell packs. It'll be a nice boost in speed. I have 2 of these Onyx 3000mah 7-cell and love them in my old school USA-1. It's an old twin motor RC, that runs on one pack. Tuff to beat $20 for 7-cell packs, even though the capacity is a little on the low side.
75 RCs and counting...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

troy8481
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by troy8481 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:56 pm

I loved mine when I first got it but it did the same thing. Even with new batteries it just didn't have the umph it used to. so i sold it to a friend for $100. I now believe that new bearings and some good quality batteries would have helped a lot. I even thought about buying it back and running lipo's in it with a low voltage cutoff. you might want to check into that. you will need a fan on the esc for anything more powerful than the stock batteries though. good luck with it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

palefacetsw
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by palefacetsw » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Thanx guys, I appreciate the warm welcome and look forward to being a member of Savage Central. I will definitely look into the Dynamite R/C power inverter, as I am sick to death of running my wife's van or my Neon to charge the batteries.....and I don't think I'm brave enough to start trying speed upgrades, I'm not all that good at controlling it at the stock speed of 25mph right now......LOL
Biggity Bob, Yuba City Chapter Prez, Tricked Out Car Club....Friendly, Respectful, Professional, The TOCC way!!!!!!

[img]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/palefacetsw/Sticker%20stuff/Tricked-Out-Car-Club-Forum-Top-1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GCMRacing
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by GCMRacing » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Here's a couple of things from someone who's built more e-savages than anyone I know. Maybe 20 of them.
1. the stock white plugs are the #1 cause of bad charges and low run times. Get rid of those things as fast as possible, mainly because they can't carry the current the truck needs, and they get looser every time you use it. Bad situation. Use a traxxas powerplug or a deans or a bullet or ANYTHING but not those white connectors. The white one IN the charger is fine, the one to the battery and the esc to battery plugs have to go. Can't believe they ever put those inferior connectors on that truck.
2. Your wall adapter does not supply any where near enough current for that charger. You need a solid and stable 10 amps to charge both of the stocker batteries, and thanks to the spec of the charger, you really only want to use the 4 amp setting to charge the packs, or it will likely false-peak on the charge.
3. Great truck. They are fun as anything. Just beat on it for a long time and if and when the stocker batteries die, then switch it to a dual-parallel-3s lipo setup for over-stock fun and speed and still a super light and fun truck. If you hit up a good retailer for some 3s lipo batteries and a charger some day, try for some 3000 or 4000 mah 3s batteries, and wire them parallel, and they should still fit in the stock holders. That's going to give you a nice steady 12 volts of power around 6 or 8000 mah of run time. NICE.
4. You can use the batteries on different chargers, and the charger on different batteries. I'd stick to the stock stuff and good plugs and then at least 10 amp powersupply for the house charging, and go from there.
Have fun!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

palefacetsw
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by palefacetsw » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:30 am

some good info there.....very concise, thanx GCM......you definitely know ur E-Savage stuff.....will call my local hobby shop today.
Biggity Bob, Yuba City Chapter Prez, Tricked Out Car Club....Friendly, Respectful, Professional, The TOCC way!!!!!!

[img]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/palefacetsw/Sticker%20stuff/Tricked-Out-Car-Club-Forum-Top-1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ransom
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by ransom » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:52 pm

good to see you enjoying the e-savage i still have one here in the shed somewhere

yes get rid of the white tamiya connectors they must go away they are terrible

and have a look here for the most e-savage info in one place if you havent already

http://www.e-savage.com/forums/index.php

nice friendly place like here also has a few of the same members savage central here is awesome but if you want to see every tweak ever done to a stock e-savage check it out also helpful for the more specific questions on hpi  e-savage /hot bodies e-zilla

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links