Proline Trenchers for Savage Flux HP

Discuss wheel and tire options for the Savage here.

Moderator: Moderators

disap
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Proline Trenchers for Savage Flux HP

Post by disap » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a Savage Flux HP and i'm looking for a wheel change. I read good things about pro-line 3.8" trenchers and since my old wheels are wobbling so bad I decided to go with a change. Since I live in Turkey, getting rc parts is a bit of a pain in here. I'm going to order from towerhobbies but I just wanted to be sure before ordering. I did a bit of searching and I know many people are using proline and many others use pro-lines or other wheels but what I want to ask is; If i were to order the 3.8 trenchers, will I be able to just put them on? Or will I need some sort of mod? Since I have to order almost everything from overseas I just don't want to get the wheels and wait another 15 to 20 days for the mod parts to arrive.

edit: another question is should I get the trencher X or 40 series? Handling is most important for me, esp. not flipping. Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks for reading :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LeroyX
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LeroyX » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:35 am

Trencher x mounted on desperados will give you a wider stance and are an aggressive wicked looking tire. They have great traction and a lot of members here have run them (including me) on both nitro and electric and they mount right on.

Running on a flux I would imagine you'd have to gear down a bit but one of the electric guys will have to chime in on that.

The x's series have a smaller diameter, are a lot wider but are also heavier than the 40 series. If handling is you goal I think X's would be better (lower right height and wider).  The trade off is they will be harder on your drive train, something  to consider if getting parts to your location is difficult.
[hr][i][b]Savage XL[/b] Clocked Picco Boost 28, ERCM end bleed, Bullet Proof 3spd with high spd 3rd, Hellfire 150 tank, OFNA throttle mod, Big Bores and lots of other stuff my wife doesnt know about...
[b]Savage XS[/b]- rolling on 2.8 Traxxas Talons[/i]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

disap
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by disap » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:44 pm

hey leroyx,

thanks for the reply. i tried an asphalt run today, lowered ride height with zipties and only kept 1x8mm spacer on shocks. the handling seemed perfect on stock wheels except in some instances where the huge amounts of wobble suddenly changed my savage's direction. I guess I'll go with the 40 series with 18 pinion.

One last question, do prolines start to wobble pretty quick? My stock wheels with savage flux became very wobbly within a month. I just used them on grass surface and never did any hard bashing. I am what you would call a mild basher i guess.

Thanks.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LeroyX
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LeroyX » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:23 pm

The reason a tire will develop a wobble is sand/dirt or water get inside it which throws the balance way out. Proline puts pretty big holes in their rims so they will get dirt in their pretty quick. If you are into speed runs you can always plug up the holes. Of course this is not good for jumping as it takes most the the tires ability to absorb impact away so it's a trade off. That said I have plugged the holes on my badlands. It's too late for my trenchers and for that matter all my other wheels but I wanted one set that would run without shaking the truck apart haha.

I can imagine that a flux will balloon trenchers pretty bad. (As with most tires)
[hr][i][b]Savage XL[/b] Clocked Picco Boost 28, ERCM end bleed, Bullet Proof 3spd with high spd 3rd, Hellfire 150 tank, OFNA throttle mod, Big Bores and lots of other stuff my wife doesnt know about...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

disap
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by disap » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:33 pm

i read alot about punching holes in tires themselves. i'll most def. plug the holes in the rims tho, don't want another set of wobbly wheels in mere weeks. thanks for all the help leroy, it is much, much appreciated.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LeroyX
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LeroyX » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:48 pm

I have not tried the holes in the tires either, too afraid to destroy the tire

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

disap
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by disap » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:46 am

fyi, just got the proline trenchers 40 series. i can confirm it comes with holes in tires not rims. just wanted to inform :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

realsickclown
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by realsickclown » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:21 am

the holes in the center of the tires help to drain water with a quick high speed pass slinging water out the hole
Move or I'll run over you.

Savage XL nirto on 25TVP's
Traxxas Rustler 3.3 nitro
Intech ERSC-10,full mods
Traxxas Slash 4x4 highly modified
Axial SCX10 73' Bronco full mods,Holmes Hobbies
Axial SCX10 Comanche
VXL MERV

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links