Best "onroad" tires for Savage

Discuss wheel and tire options for the Savage here.

Moderator: Moderators

lizard
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Re: Best "onroad" tires for Savage

Post by lizard » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:14 pm

Rafael, are you sure they weigh 14 oz?
My PMT wheels are 8oz. 120mm diameter, width 65.
I also have FG Marder and Carson 1/6 scale buggy wheels, they are both around 10oz, just like the phaltlines.

with 44/25 you will reach 80mph theoretically.

LL: I also think foams hold up to higher speeds, as the foams themselves are very light and glued to the entire surface of the rim.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML: " title="Click to select post’s link in HTML format" onclick="this.focus();this.select();" />
Hide post links
Show post links

rafaelrosales1
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by rafaelrosales1 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:31 pm

[quote="lizard";p="873403"]Rafael, are you sure they weigh 14 oz?
My PMT wheels are 8oz. 120mm diameter, width 65.
I also have FG Marder and Carson 1/6 scale buggy wheels, they are both around 10oz, just like the phaltlines.

with 44/25 you will reach 80mph theoretically.

LL: I also think foams hold up to higher speeds, as the foams themselves are very light and glued to the entire surface of the rim.[/quote]

Hi yes totally sure look this 400gr = 14.1 oz

http://www.grpgandini.it/index.php?opti ... =6&lang=it

80 mph its not bad number but my goal is 101 mph with single motor and have to be original hpi/castle 2200kv 6s

Link:
BBcode:
HTML: " title="Click to select post’s link in HTML format" onclick="this.focus();this.select();" />
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:38 pm

my new theoretical top speed is 365mph with the X0-1 wheels and 34/40 gearing on 12s LOL

I certainly hope they hold up cause I cant afford another crash
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:59 pm

[quote="rafaelrosales1";p="873404"]80 mph its not bad number but my goal is 101 mph with single motor and have to be original hpi/castle 2200kv 6s[/quote]

This will not happen on one motor especially with those heavy wheels, your flux will have to weigh under 10lbs. The power to weight on my twin flux is 7.6:1

At the end of this video the one motor that stayed meshed to the spur was shut down due to thermal shutdown as it was way to hot, you hear the other motor spinning as it was not meshed and obviously not under load. The truck at this stage weighed 16.5lbs. This is why IMO no single 2200 set up will reach 100mph unless the truck goes on a massive diet.  

[youtube]
[/youtube]

Link:
BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

rafaelrosales1
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by rafaelrosales1 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:53 pm

I understand exactly what are you telling me !!  1/8 146mph world record car is 13.05 lbs 8s 1600 kv ofna gtp you can see all his videos at youtube
just the body weight is 1.62 lbs he said I dont like light cars , I like heavy cars thats why his world record car is 13.05 lbs his name is jhonyracerx look at youtube !

thanks

Link:
BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Ive seen the videos, and there impressive

So are planning to keep the stock weight then? Also how fast have you gone with the Savage?

Link:
BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

rafaelrosales1
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by rafaelrosales1 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:16 pm

[quote="LLkoolskillet";p="873409"]Ive seen the videos, and there impressive

So are planning to keep the stock weight then? Also how fast have you gone with the Savage?[/quote]

Yes that exactly what are going to do ! maybe I will install the original hpi savage flux hp chassis, I have tcs 5mm and I saw your videos

what grease do you have in your diffs ?

tks

Link:
BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

lizard
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by lizard » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:33 am

Rafael:
really weird, maybe the weight on their homepage is for two tires? I mean, how could they be almost twice as heavy, there must be something wrong.

See pics for weight comparison:
ImageImageImageImage

LL:
Again, weight and rotational mass has almost no influence on achievable topspeeds. Of course, it affects acceleration, but not topspeed, you just need more space to reach the topspeed (which can be an issue also, of course). See here for some formulas: http://www.thecartech.com/subjects/auto ... rmulas.htm

365mph? Not even theoretically possible with your gearing and tires. How's that gonna work? 12s? you mean 2 motors, each with 6s? Or two motors, each with 12s? Anyhow, no matter what voltage and motor you run, with 34/40 gearing and XO-1 tires you would need a motor capable of about 100.000 rpm.

Link:
BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:34 am

My center diff is locked and my rear diff is filled with 1000wt. However the next set of runs it will be filled with 500,000wt. Yes the truck is rwd.

Lizard your right rotational mass is not a huge factor once up to speed. Like you said it effects acceleration. If you can't get up to speed because the motor is struggling to turn then you won't reach your top speed no matter the distance. BL will just get to hot and shut down on you and nitro will monotone not allowing you to reach your powerband. There are real world limits that calculators do not factor in that is why they are only an estimate IMO. The 365mph is what the calc says on 12s. Yes my truck has two 2200kv motors running 6s each. This is why gearing calcs only get you close to what you need and when you start to gear things stupid high the numbers get funnier and funnier. My truck is going to max out under 120mph for sure it just doesn't have the power. It does however have more than enough to break 100 maybe 110. The key factor with top speed is you need a combo of lightweight, torque, and rpm. The biggest IMO is torque, if you don't have enough torque to push the gearing then your not going to reach your goal. That is why I went twin. Power to weight is huge and I have the torque to push the gearing. A single 1717 should have enough torque to push a savage on a diet past 100. My nitro savage is pullin 74.9mph at 28k rpm. That's well under its normal operating 30k plus we normally run with 17/47 or whatever gearing. That is why I believe is much more important that how many rpm something can turn. I agree things change once up to speed but you have to get up to speed first.

Torque gets you off the line and horsepower gets you across the line.

Link:
BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

rafaelrosales1
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by rafaelrosales1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:45 pm

[quote="lizard";p="873424"]Rafael:
really weird, maybe the weight on their homepage is for two tires? I mean, how could they be almost twice as heavy, there must be something wrong.

See pics for weight comparison:
ImageImageImageImage

LL:
Again, weight and rotational mass has almost no influence on achievable topspeeds. Of course, it affects acceleration, but not topspeed, you just need more space to reach the topspeed (which can be an issue also, of course). See here for some formulas: http://www.thecartech.com/subjects/auto ... rmulas.htm

365mph? Not even theoretically possible with your gearing and tires. How's that gonna work? 12s? you mean 2 motors, each with 6s? Or two motors, each with 12s? Anyhow, no matter what voltage and motor you run, with 34/40 gearing and XO-1 tires you would need a motor capable of about 100.000 rpm.[/quote]

You know what maybe you right I have to buy one scale and see for my own eyes ! I let you know, the first white tire that you post is very similar to GRP gandini so it doesnt make sense to me 400 gr for tire !

Link:
BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

rafaelrosales1
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by rafaelrosales1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:42 pm

LLkoolskillet try to reach 120 mph with 2wd truck IMO its 4 times more difficult compare to 4wd, and I know you have 10 hp even more difficult.
I am not think is imposible to do but is even way more challenge ! jhonyracerx has one car 1/8 ofna gtp motor -1600kv 8s 13.05 lbs he even put 0.5lbs in its front bumper and he reches 146 mph, he has another car 1/8 ofna gtp 2200 kv 6s 134mph just for practices again 0.5 lbs in the bumper !
so he found the perfect combination about hp, weight and weight distribution, oil diffs, and aerodinamic, even the body alone is 1.62 lbs. He adds like 2.2lbs more for any people this is something crazy but this guy has like 20 years working with airplanes that is his secret !
2wd 10hp its a problem not a solution to reach 120 mph and even more all your power is in the rear axle You dont need 10 hp to reach 120 mph with your savage IMO

so how much power has leopard LBP4082 1600kv motor at 8s
/2Y
120A
33V
3500Watts      
1600kv

3500 watts

1000 watts = 1.341hp x 3.5 = 4.69 hp

so this car has 4.69hp weight is 13.05lbs

so tell me how this guy reaches 146mph with 4.69 hp

he even reaches 100 mph with 4s yes 4s

thanks

Link:
BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:47 pm

Why are you comparing a car to a monster truck? Do you know that Nic cases 170+mph car weighs 10lbs and has 10hp. Running 4wd gives you more stability at higher speeds but I not making a custom dog bones to make it 4wd. I've already pulled 95mph twice with rwd. The electronics wernt even hot and my timing setting are set to the lowest. Your also comparing a 1600kv motor to a 2200kv. If I wanted stupid power I would run two 2028's and yes that may actually happen in the furture. From the sounds of it you may actually be leaning towards the leopard motor instead of the 2200.

Remember we're trying to make a monster truck go fast not a car that's suited for this application not jumping 70ft in the air.

Link:
BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

rafaelrosales1
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by rafaelrosales1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:29 am

[quote="LLkoolskillet";p="873460"]Why are you comparing a car to a monster truck? Do you know that Nic cases 170+mph car weighs 10lbs and has 10hp. Running 4wd gives you more stability at higher speeds but I not making a custom dog bones to make it 4wd. I've already pulled 95mph twice with rwd. The electronics wernt even hot and my timing setting are set to the lowest. Your also comparing a 1600kv motor to a 2200kv. If I wanted stupid power I would run two 2028's and yes that may actually happen in the furture. From the sounds of it you may actually be leaning towards the leopard motor instead of the 2200.

Remember we're trying to make a monster truck go fast not a car that's suited for this application not jumping 70ft in the air.[/quote]

Mate I am going to use what I have 2200kv. The only razon why I am comparing those because that car weight is 13.05 lbs 4.69hp 146 mph
but I know Nic Case likes 1lbs 1 hp but I dont believe in you must need 1 lb 1 hp to reach 100 mph or 120 mph thats my point.

tks

Link:
BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:44 am

And I agree with you on that.

Link:
BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

Burt111
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Burt111 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:49 pm

[quote="LLkoolskillet";p="873409"]Ive seen the videos, and there impressive

So are planning to keep the stock weight then? Also how fast have you gone with the Savage?[/quote]Hi LL ,I got my ban lifted,,ive said sorry to anyonr a upset,Im still watching your 100mph posts,Thanks.

Link:
BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

ASBURY
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by ASBURY » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:58 am

Looking for some 1/5 Grp tires for my savage xl, vorza 1/8 Grp rally and rustler vxl 1/10 Grp tires. Also the right hubs that will fit. I was told these were some good tires to drag race or speed runs. So if someone can lead me to the right tires for those respected vehicles. I gladly appreciate it. Meaning ordering #'s

Link:
BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links