Going to bite the bullet and order the Alza CD

This forum is dedicated to discussion regarding the HPI Savage Flux HP Brushless Electric Vehicle.

Moderator: Moderators

ghonda99
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Going to bite the bullet and order the Alza CD

Post by ghonda99 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:46 am

Got some birthday money so I think its time to go through with it.  I have read the topics and I am going to go with an 11t pinion and a 48t spur (vorza diff).  I am only running 4s with the tork motor.  I think most of the diff fluid suggestions are for 6s, does anyone have suggestions for 4s?  Also are there any clearance issues with the fins on the motor with this setup?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

hoppinhard
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by hoppinhard » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:19 am

I'm pretty sure u can go down as far as 9t pinion on a 48t spur with the cup just brushing the fins... or was that a 50t spur? hmmm... 11 on 48 will be fine anyway. as for the cup touching the motor, I'm running 11 / 52 on a 1717 (50cm dia) and the motor just touches the cup enough to make a couple of nice little lines around it. gotta love nice fine tolerances!
as for the oil I would think same same for 4 or 6s. the fact that you are even considering this mod must mean 4s gets the thing flippin' or at least on the back wheels more than u like. one wheelie's as good as another IMO so to get that wasted drive to the ground I assume the same oil would be the go, it's a good place to start, that's for sure, the joy is that u can oil-tune your beast the way you want.
once u get that bad boy in there you'll probably be itchin' to get ya teeth into some 6s action in no time anyway, it's so much more driveable, like a whole different animal, even sounds fantastic!
IMO the best mod you can do to any savage ever, hands down, it's that good, I'm not getting carried away... YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!

Ps. i'm not an expert at anything, but... YOU WILL LOVE IT!!! (hmmm, is the future I see!)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

donyms
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by donyms » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:44 am

I'm running the Flux XL with the Vorza CD and Alza CD kit. I am also running 4s and have been all along. I am using the 11/48 pinion and spur with the stock motor and the clearance is fine. I agree the Alza CD kit is the #1 mod for this truck, I love it and I can still do back-flips and wheelies with ease. I am using the Traxxas wheelie bar and I do wheelies all the time that are 75 yards plus. The only reason I have to let it down is because I run out of room. LOL! As far as the diff oil goes I am using 50K-500K-50K, this set up works great for me but everyone has a different sweet spot on this so just try different combos until you are happy with the drive-ability and the handling. I am also running the trencher X tires. You can check out a video I made with my Savage here. Good luck man and keep us posted.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g1xKfH ... 6scG0VhBZQ[/youtube]
[img]http://www.sleepyape.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/SC-Signature.png[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

motoxskp
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by motoxskp » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:59 am

+1 for Donyms.................i have my flux setup pretty much exactly how he does....and it is awesome....listen to what Donyms tells you to do....best out there by far in knowledge and very friendly.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ghonda99
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by ghonda99 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:39 am

Thanks for all the info I appreciate it.  I put the order in for the cd from alza today and ordered the pinion and diff fluid from amain.  Just have to get the vorza diff now.  I found it a few different places so just trying to get it for the cheapest I can.  The main reason I am getting the cd is so that I stop breaking the rear pinion gear.  I like to run big tires I just think it look more *censored*.  I had big joes but now I have duratrax hatchets.  They are taller and wider than the big joes and look pretty killer too.  modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=100979    That's a link for pictures of it.  Can't wait to get the parts in and start putting everything together.  I love putting new parts on the truck.  When I got the bulkhead brace conversion it took about a week to get here.  I like the video donyms, nice to see so many backflips without any signs of slowing down.  I like the 4s too and I don't want to have to buy new batteries for 6s so I will be sticking with that setup.  It ballons the tires as it is and can pull the wheels off the ground on command or do standing or rolling backflips.  When I decided I wanted an RC that will go over anything and go fast and take a beating I'm glad I chose this one. :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

motoxskp
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by motoxskp » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:14 am

Check dollar hobbyz.......thats were i got mine.....i think the price was fair

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ghonda99
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by ghonda99 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:59 pm

I was looking at dollarhobbyz until I saw one pop up on eBay. Got it for $28 after using a $5 coupon.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

motoxskp
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by motoxskp » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:19 am

great deal

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:32 am

Once you go alza you don't go back

Oh and if you run 8s thru your savage with CD make sure you put something as high as 1,000,000 or higher weight oil. I shredded my CD with diff lock lube in it on 8s lol
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ghonda99
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by ghonda99 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:41 am

So far 4s is good enough for me. Knowing my luck if I do anything higher I will hit a wall and have a pile of parts on my hands. I now have all the parts for the cd on the way all I have to do is wait for them to get here. Then I will have the project for the winter months as it has already started snowing here in lancaster, NY (just outside of Buffalo).  Might be able to do some small test runs, but nothing major until next summer.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ghonda99
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by ghonda99 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:42 pm

My diff conversion is about an hour away at the post office, however it will take longer to get here due to the 6 or so feet of snow we got over the last couple of days. Definitely not doing any test runs anytim soon.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

RandallT
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by RandallT » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:59 pm

What is the alza cd you are talking about and where can i get one? Thanks!
Randall T. [b]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:38 pm

click the link Alza-Racing
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ghonda99
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by ghonda99 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:52 pm

Finally got the truck out today. It handles nice. Seems to turn better at higher speeds, but can still do wheelies no problem. Was just a shake down today. I will try backflips next time with a full bash session.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jmcn_r
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by jmcn_r » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:14 am

What diff oils and gearing did you settle for?
I am in the planning stages of a new build but can't settle between 4/6s at the moment  :P
Back to the Future, and another round of RC Hobby addiction!!!
[color=green]BANNED Racing[/color]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jmcn_r
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by jmcn_r » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:43 am

P.S. what 500k diff oil u guys using and where u getting it?
I have never run big scale high power brushless so never kept above 50k oil in storage.
Back to the Future, and another round of RC Hobby addiction!!!
[color=green]BANNED Racing[/color]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ghonda99
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by ghonda99 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:59 am

I run 4s. I don't feel the want for anything more. It's really fast with 4s. I did the vorza diff which is a 48 tooth spur and a tekno 11t pinion gear. I got my 500k kyosho diff fluid from amain. I have 30k fluid in the front and rear diffs. Most guys seem to run 50k in the front and rear diffs, but I had some 30k laying around so that's what I used.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim4i
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by tim4i » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:12 am

I'm using the Kyosho 500k aswell - direct from Japan-ebay FTW - if you know a local hobby shop in Japan they will send it to you - very accommodating the Japanese people are.

300k is okay if you wants MOAR traction...but i found it really sux for slow jumping. Just too soft.
And stay away from the Venom stuff...unless you have no choice. It works...but yeah...

Front & Rear Diffs I run 50k or 100k and that works for me. Depends how you drive TBH. Everybody had different thoughts on the perfect sweet spot bro. Try one and then the other.
I run 4s mainly in the Savage now - every now and then I might put a pack of 6s through it - but there is so much power you don't need it.
-Besides I like to save all my 6s for the Arrma Typhon now. *censored* its fast.

You will love the CD bro - best MOD eva. Enjoy.
There is a fine line between [i]bashing[/i] and [i]trashing[/i].....so I like to carry spares.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ghonda99
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by ghonda99 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:55 pm

Been a busy summer with the family and haven't had much time for rc this year, but I finally got the savage out for a full bash session. The cd performs better than expected. So happy that I did the conversion. Handles better at high speed turns. Almost completely eliminated traction rolling. Where before the truck would flip at almost any speed in a turn, I can turn at some pretty decent speed without the worry of landing on the roof. It was pretty hot out and I reached the lvc and was still able to touch the motor without burning my fingers. Have to get a temp gun to know how hot it's getting. Also was able to do many backflips off a stone pile without hearing the crunch of the rear diff pinion breaking teeth. So this upgrade has pretty much made the truck as unbreakable as it can get. It did get a pretty good gouge in the front skid and a broken front bumper support, but that was because I hit a large rock. Haven't seen too many posts on the alza cd lately, but if you are even remotely considering the conversion, just do it you won't be sorry. The only regret I have is I didn't do it sooner.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

What_The_Flux
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by What_The_Flux » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:41 am

I ordered and installed a Trophy Truggy Flux 50T diff and paired it with a Tekno Racing 11T pinion on stock Motor and ESC. I just finished my Alza CD and XL conversion a few weeks ago and have put 7 packs though it (3 packs off-road and 4 packs on-road on Proline Trencher X mounted on Desperado Wheel
-What_The_Flux?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links