Is the front gear box and dogbone supposed to be angled?

This forum is dedicated to discussion regarding the HPI Savage Flux HP Brushless Electric Vehicle.

Moderator: Moderators

RCesquire
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Is the front gear box and dogbone supposed to be angled?

Post by RCesquire » Mon May 25, 2015 10:58 am

This one has me really stumped. Is the front gear box and drive shaft really meant to be at a slight angle, whereas the rear gear box is supposed to be perfectly straight with the center gearbox? It looks so off but I feel like I've tried everything. The front gear box pictured below, if I move it to the rear, is perfectly straight. I thought maybe I bent the chassis, but when I  use the pictured front gear box on a brand new chassis, same result - straight in rear, angled in front. For a moment I thought maybe my center gear box was angled, but it isn't. The front dog bone does fit, it just sits at an angle whereas the rear dog bone is straight.

Any ideas?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

RCesquire
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by RCesquire » Mon May 25, 2015 10:59 am

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

RCesquire
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by RCesquire » Tue May 26, 2015 1:54 pm

I'm pretty sure it is actually supposed to be angled. I saw it that way in a video and it seems to all fit right that way. Just odd I never noticed it before. If anyone has thoughts feel free to chime in.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

s2022
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by s2022 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:06 pm

It is supposed to be like that. This is the caster angle. If you look at any real car/truck from the side you can see the shocks are angled to the back.

Similarly the Savage rotates the whole front bulkhead to the rear; in my opinion the bulkhead as a whole is angled to be able to have standard parts inter changeable between front and rear;this is why the front dogbone will have to be angled.

In short, perfectly normal ;)
[color=blue]Regards
RCS2022[/color]
[color=blue][i][url=http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=93732]Savage Flux XL; Mamba XL2; 1717; Custom CD; Mech Brakes[/url][/i][/color]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links